Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good morning everyone,

Ineed a sincere opinion. The decision to buy a battery vehicle was mainly to beable to save some money since we spend so much on gas and it is eating our finances.To us, $700 a month on gas is just an absurdity and it is affecting our dailylives. Although we do not take lightly the fact of buying a new vehicle, funnyenough, spending such money to save more money at this point makes sense.
However, theproblem now is the time it is taking for us to get the vehicle. I have beenwaiting since September and my Sequoia is depreciating fast. Without this carthere is no way we can afford anything else, especially an EV. Chevrolet and the dealer are giving us the run around and no one can provide us with a build date. And I need to sell my car, well, yesterday to be honest...
So... in my hopes of still getting a Bolt EV, I contacteda Vancouver dealer (I’m in ON) and they happened to have 2017 Bolt EVs there,but to have the car bought and brought over, too expensive – I actually thoughtdealers had some sort of agreement and you could buy a car anywhere and have itshipped no matter where in the country – silly naïve me, to be honest so that wasnot doable. Not to mention he say something about the possibility fo not being able to get the incentive because I live in ON, not BC. Long story short, I gave up on this idea.
I ended upfinding an used 2017 BMW i3 with extender for a good price, only 4,000 KM, to be honest, no incentive butcheaper than the Bolt EV with the incentive. I understandthe problems the car had in the past with previous models but the 2017 one seemsto be standing out from former versions, including in range.
I amseriously contemplating the idea of buying this vehicle and either:
  • Usingit as a more updated trade-in when the Bolt EV is finally here or
  • IfI like it so much, hold on to this vehicle and cancel my Bolt EV orderaltogether and as our financial situation stabilizes, buy whatever is out therein the future.
I did thinkof a Volt BUT the size… we almost broke our necks and hit our heads a lot gettingin and out of a rental Model S, which turnedus off … and we are only comfortable going into hatchbacks (Model X shape, BMWi3, Bolt etc).
I am leaningtowards number 2…
What do youguys think?

·
Registered
979 Posts
If the beemer has enough winter range for the daily commute, why not go for it. (So as a used vehicle it already reflects the big ON ev incentive in the used-resale price? ) I rather like the looks of the i3 outside and supposedly its nicer inside. And that bmw logo has a lot more value for Torontonians.

·
Registered
910 Posts
Seems like a good fallback plan, acquire used I3, I would contact your dealer once more to let them know you can't continue to wait. They seem to have a magic way of making vehicles appear if they are going to lose a sale...

·
Registered
173 Posts
The I3 would be a great gateway to the EV life. I hear you on the Volt being low but would you get used to the height after awhile? Maybe?

Do you have the charging set up at home? That adds a cost too.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The I3 would be a great gateway to the EV life. I hear you on the Volt being low but would you get used to the height after awhile? Maybe?

I have the charger but I need to have it installed...

·
Registered
1,291 Posts

Dunno about you, but the "gateway" aspect is very useful. With the i3, you can test how you feel about range anxiety without the real downside since you have an ICE backup plan. If you find you can live with the range of the i3 with once a year range anxiety, I'd say you're ready for 2nd hand Bolt (or other 200-mile EV).

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
Make the decision based on your driving habits/situation. If you routinely drive < 45-50 miles per day, buy a used Leaf. Charge every other day and be as happy as a clam (whatever that means)!

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Buying a new vehicle or trading in your current vehicle is never the prudent financial decision. If the main idea is to save money, then you'd buy a used car(private party) that gets great fuel economy.
I agree with this, although for those of us who buy cars and run them into the ground the difference between buying new and buying used is minimized because it's amortized over a much longer time period.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Ineed a sincere opinion. The decision to buy a battery vehicle was mainly to beable to save some money since we spend so much on gas and it is eating our finances.To us, $700 a month on gas is just an absurdity and it is affecting our dailylives. Although we do not take lightly the fact of buying a new vehicle, funnyenough, spending such money to save more money at this point makes sense.
However, theproblem now is the time it is taking for us to get the vehicle. I have beenwaiting since September and my Sequoia is depreciating fast.
Buying a new vehicle or trading in your current vehicle is never the prudent financial decision. If the main idea is to save money, then you'd buy a used car(private party) that gets great fuel economy.
X2 For true; the typical first year depreciation of 20% always renders a new vehicle purchase a financial black hole. You want not to spend $700 a month on fuel, but 20% depreciation on a $43,000 Bolt is $716 a month, plus whatever taxes and license. Your decision, but do the math.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,766 Posts
When my current EV lease is up, I plan on buying a 3 or 4 -year-old LEAF (or Spark EV) and then I'll wait for used 150+ mile-range EVs to hit the market in droves. THEN I will buy a used one, and sell the LEAF (or give it to one of my kids). The full purchase price of a used (3-year-old lease return) LEAF is less than the first-year depreciation on a new Bolt.

But then I don't need 180-miles-a-day range. YMMV - literally.

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
However, theproblem now is the time it is taking for us to get the vehicle. I have beenwaiting since September and my Sequoia is depreciating fast.
X2 For true; the typical first year depreciation of 20% always renders a new vehicle purchase a financial black hole. You want not to spend $700 a month on fuel, but 20% depreciation on a $43,000 Bolt is $716 a month, plus whatever taxes and license. Your decision, but do the math.

jack vines

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you all for your honest opinion.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Might be cheaper to keep your current sequoia and just pay for gas and maintenance; the fuel costs will be higher than your average car because it's a full size SUV with a V8 but Toyotas are generally cheap to maintain and are very reliable.
If you trade in the Toyota to get a BOLT or BMW i3, in the end you will end up paying the full amount for the sequoia - trade in + full cost of BOLT/BMW i3 + interest costs if you are borrowing or carrying over payments. I think in terms of costs, that's "too much car" just to have smaller energy monthly costs. May not be worth it if you look at the whole big picture.

IMO, if you have to cut your loses I would consider sticking with Toyota and get a Prius: those things are inexpensive, very reliable, and dirt cheap to upkeep.

Good luck!

·
Registered
293 Posts
Its hard to save money with a BEV. You need to sharpen your pencil, looks at energy costs per mile savings, cost of ownership, depreciation of existing vehicles (and the new ones). Sound like you have already looked at that.

I would add:
--transaction costs (esp with swapping cars every 6 mos).
--insurance costs (call your agent)
--tire costs (many EVs need $$ LRR tires, and wear them out in 25k miles or less, not 50k).

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I agree with this, although for those of us who buy cars and run them into the ground the difference between buying new and buying used is minimized because it's amortized over a much longer time period.
Agreed. It's also not always black and white. For me, I didn't want to drive a clunker anymore (88 Maxima wagon) and I had enough money burning in my pocket and Tesla envy that I wanted an EV. Maybe I liked using clean hydro power. Maybe I liked the EV driving experience. Maybe I knew even with a new ICE, I'd be beholden to a dealer or mechanic since I can't fix cars or turn a wrench to save my life. Did the math and I was still not breaking even on the Volt versus the wagon but I wasn't hurting and I (irrationally) reasoned the financial cost was for the enjoyment of owning a new car that was all my own.

Ultimately, I convinced myself I could live with the Volt (now Bolt) for 10+ years to maximize the value. I literally was about to purchase a Nissan Versa hatchback until I saw a youtube video about the Chevy Volt. The rest, is history.

·
Registered
3,776 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
I decided to go for the Bolt. It is the EV that fits all our needs.
I setup a meeting this week between my local dealer and their HQ to see where we can go from here. HQ allegedly hinted me that more than 4 months wait should not be the norm for this year. So they are going to investigate what happened and what they can do for me at this point, and let me know.
I have to say I was very impressed by how I was treated by their HQ Customer Care and the guy went beyond his duty to understand our needs. I immediately wrote an email to my local dealer (their management has been very stand-offish) - but not the guy I talk to, and pretty much told them they are getting a call next week to solve all this. After weeks of no replies, I received one within 15 minutes on a Saturday evening. And the guy I talk to was not even working. I think I finally found the right button to push.

·
Registered
910 Posts
I decided to go for the Bolt. It is the EV that fits all our needs.
I setup a meeting this week between my local dealer and their HQ to see where we can go from here. HQ allegedly hinted me that more than 4 months wait should not be the norm for this year. So they are going to investigate what happened and what they can do for me at this point, and let me know.
I have to say I was very impressed by how I was treated by their HQ Customer Care and the guy went beyond his duty to understand our needs. I immediately wrote an email to my local dealer (their management has been very stand-offish) - but not the guy I talk to, and pretty much told them they are getting a call next week to solve all this. After weeks of no replies, I received one within 15 minutes on a Saturday evening. And the guy I talk to was not even working. I think I finally found the right button to push.
Wow, sounds like good news, I am cautiously optimistic for you, please keep us posted how it goes...

1 - 20 of 70 Posts