Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
It's so different to look at an electric engine inside the engine bay. There seems to be so much extra space compared to a generic gas engine bay.
Too bad there seems to be so much hard plastic, that stuff just feels cheap to me, but Chevy's gotta do what they gotta do to keep the prices down.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Lol I love at the end when he says to tell him our thoughts on it and what not but the comments are disabled for the video..

But nonetheless, pretty good video, the high voltage wires under the hood really make it look like some crazy sci-fi thing is going on in there though, I love it.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's so different to look at an electric engine inside the engine bay. There seems to be so much extra space compared to a generic gas engine bay.
Too bad there seems to be so much hard plastic, that stuff just feels cheap to me, but Chevy's gotta do what they gotta do to keep the prices down.
I have never been terrible impressed by the interior on most ford/dodge/chevy products. I think that they have somewhat improved lately and ford has the most. I have a Prius C (Yaris Hybrid) which I am not terribly impressed by the interior and being over 6 foot tall, I struggle to be comfortable on longer drives.

·
Registered
786 Posts
There is no such thing as an "electric engine". It is an electric motor. And we cannot cal the front underhood bay as an "engine bay" either. We must drop our legacy descriptions for a vehicle, and start using modern and correct terms.

·
Registered
786 Posts
But nonetheless, pretty good video, the high voltage wires under the hood really make it look like some crazy sci-fi thing is going on in there though, I love it.
GM must do a Gen 2 Bolt EV using lesser wires, as they did with the Gen 2 Volt, integrating the controller inside the electric drive unit (an "EDU" as the SAE defines it), so you only see the thick orange cables from the battery and from the A/C compressor. The Bolt EV must do the same integration, because it will save weight and assembly costs, and save on future repairs, too. An integrated EDU will also allow an easier application to other models and body styles, and maybe GM may offer a "crate" version EDU for the DIY conversions from a gasser to an electric. Then all that is needed is a battery, wires to the controller, and axles to the wheels.;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
I have never been terrible impressed by the interior on most ford/dodge/chevy products. I think that they have somewhat improved lately and ford has the most. I have a Prius C (Yaris Hybrid) which I am not terribly impressed by the interior and being over 6 foot tall, I struggle to be comfortable on longer drives.
Wait until the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV arrives at your dealer next year. Then vist that dealer, ask to open it up and sit in it. You will find it very comfortable even for your height because it has a flat floor from door to door (no ledges or humps), and a taller seat which improves vsibility. It looks small but it is bigger inside than the mayority of EVs and hybrids (it has 63 cubic feet of space!). I bet you will trade in your Prius immediately for the Bolt EV!

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Wouldn't a "crate" version EDU be very hard to install if you need a large amount of battery packs to go with it like the Bolt?

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
How much would all this whole gasser to electric conversion cost at the end of the day though lol. Probably a good amount :|

·
Registered
862 Posts
How much would all this whole gasser to electric conversion cost at the end of the day though lol. Probably a good amount :|
Probably not too much more than $50K.

·
Registered
732 Posts
Chevy should really consider covering up the engine bay with a simple engine cover since it will help to keep all those connectors clean and make cleaning the bay that much easier.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Wait until the 2017 Chevy Bolt EV arrives at your dealer next year. Then vist that dealer, ask to open it up and sit in it. You will find it very comfortable even for your height because it has a flat floor from door to door (no ledges or humps), and a taller seat which improves vsibility. It looks small but it is bigger inside than the mayority of EVs and hybrids (it has 63 cubic feet of space!). I bet you will trade in your Prius immediately for the Bolt EV!
I think Immediately is a bit of an exaggeration. There is a lot more thought that goes into a vehicle purchase for most then just 'Oh I love this car, I better buy it now'. I actually got a change to sit inside a Bolt yesterday and it does have quite a bit more room than my Prius C, however I don't think that I am in a place today or possibly even in the next 6 to 8 months to be able to make a purchase.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts