Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Administrator
2,651 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 92 mile gap between Trinidad and Pueblo, CO will soon be closed with the opening of a new DCFC site in Walsenburg. On Earth Day, they will be holding a National Drive Electric event celebrating the opening of this site:

EV Trail has worked behind the scenes managing COVID, weather and political delays in launching the first DC Fast Charging station in the network. We now will be doing our ribbon cutting on Earth Day as we cut in half Colorado's longest I-25 charging gap. Currently, there is a 92-mile gap between Trinidad and Pueblo with no DC Fast Charging stations and no Tesla Supercharging stations. After our ceremonial flipping of the switch and ribbon cutting, the longest gap will be 46 miles.
This is great news, not that the 92 miles is a problem, but to offer more options for trip planning. I recently did a trip down that direction and easily reached Trinidad from CO Springs, and did a shorter charge at Trinidad on the way back, just enough to get to Pueblo. But if it had been open, I would have skipped Trinidad on the return trip and used Walsenburg for a single charge.

I-25 is a key N\S route. With I-70 pretty well covered, and now I-25 even better than before, it is getting incredibly easy to get around CO in an EV.

Our EV Club is planning a day trip to Bishops Castle. The Tesla owners are a bit concerned with charging, there will be no Tesla charging sites on the route. Yet, there will be 2 DCFC sites in Pueblo for non-Teslas. For once, it is nice to know the Tesla owners will be the only ones suffering from Range Anxiety on a day trip!

Meanwhile, Chargepoint is roughly 50% on their project to implement 34 DCFC sites on scenic highways in the state, expecting to wrap the project up this year. The result is coverage along US50 (E\W through the center of the state) and in the 4-Corners region which will give Front Range EV owners easy access to SW CO, an area of the state that remains inaccessible to Tesla owners.

You should hear the Tesla owners complain how the State is granting all this money and they can't use these "public" chargers. It is actually starting to get them thinking it is time to push Elon to adopt native CCS, or at least make an adapter available. Oh, the horror!

·
Registered
192 Posts
The 92 mile gap between Trinidad and Pueblo, CO will soon be closed with the opening of a new DCFC site in Walsenburg. On Earth Day, they will be holding a National Drive Electric event celebrating the opening of this site:

Meanwhile, Chargepoint is roughly 50% on their project to implement 34 DCFC sites on scenic highways in the state, expecting to wrap the project up this year. The result is coverage along US50 (E\W through the center of the state) and in the 4-Corners region which will give Front Range EV owners easy access to SW CO, an area of the state that remains inaccessible to Tesla owners.
The information about Walsenburg is welcome, though it's not on PlugShare yet. I did see the Walsenburg DEED event listed for April 22, but I didn't see that a new DCFC station was opening. I'll be heading down that way in two weeks and it will be a good backup station between Pueblo and Trinidad, though it will likely be double the price of those two stations.

I have to clarify that the 34 "corridor" stations you refer to are planned and subsidized by the Colorado Energy Office though a grant with Charge Point. These 34 are at specified locations along major travel routes in Colorado. The various DCFCs at destinations like Creede or Lake City are subsidized by the CEO but they are NOT part of the 34. Walsenburg is also not part of the original 34. The original grant [signed in November 2018] with Charge Point had a period of performance of one year, later extended to February, 2020 for completion. This period of performance was again extended to July, 2020. Then, it was extended to February, 2021 with half (17) stations to be completed by November, 2020.

As of this writing the only "corridor" stations completed under this grant are: Dinosaur, Salida, Pagosa Springs, Estes Park, Montrose, Fairplay, Rifle and Steamboat Springs. That's only 8 of the 34 planned stations more than a year after the original completion date. That's only 24%. Alamosa is listed on PlugShare as under construction as is Wellington. Wellington has been actually under construction since at least September, when I took a photo of it. Craig was listed as under construction back in October, but has now disappeared.

The map showing the planned 34 stations can be found here:

While Charge Point has some flexibility to place stations in alternate locations, they can't count stations they built under other Colorado programs that are not on or near the original locations.

Sadly, this program seems to have completely fallen apart.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Glad to hear about Walsenberg! That will also make trips across la veta pass easier. I used the Montrose fast charger on Thursday and it worked great - pulled 54kW late on a chilly night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts