Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone, I have been researching several EVs and PHEVs. The Bolt is a front runner. The Honda Clarity PHEV due out next year looks nice. I did own a Prius Plug-in but the EV range was a joke. However, I love it when I cruise on EV mode.
The two things that keeps me on the fence are:

1) Reliability of the Bolt. I grew up in the 70's when Detroit built junk cars. They lost me since to the Toyondas. :eek:
I consider myself both a gear-head and sparky, so I am not afraid to fix things. But prefer to tinker with things on my own terms.

2) Resale value of EVs in general. Why not lease?

I'd love to hear from real Bolt owners on these concerns.

fireme

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
I had a Plug-in-Prius I purchased brand new in 2012... had it till 2014, decent vehicle.

Build and ride quality of the Bolt blows away the PIP.

You will not regret buying a Bolt!

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Resale of BEVs and HEVs (and even PHEVs) will differ, to which extent we do not know. The Tesla is in a class by itself. There is not enough Bolt experience to make any meaningful estimates on resale values. I would say, if this is a major concern, lease, knowing how much this decision will cost you (assuming that mileage overage, tire wear, and vehicle "damage" are accounted for). Those of us who purchased are either willing to take the resale risk, or feel that the thrill of owning a BEV cannot easily be price-adjusted. I know that I would not trade my Bolt + $50K for a used Tesla. I would love to copy NY-Rob's statement "You will not regret..." but none of us can tell another how to think or feel.

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
We’re big fans of the Toyota line of cars, too. 5 Toyota’s in the last 21 years, including 3 different hybrids, all still running, all still in the family. So we’re well aware of how reliable and good a car can be from the get go. The Bolt so far is in the same league.

Reasons to lease:
you can stay within the allotted miles per year,
you can’t afford to buy,
you can’t take full advantage of the federal tax credit,
you want to hedge your bets in terms of range/technology rapidly evolving

Reasons to buy:
you keep your cars for more than 5 or 6 years,
you can take full advantage of the tax credit,
you put too many miles on a car on an annual basis,
you prefer to own rather just rent a vehicle

I’m in the buy column...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, our PIP was 2012 also. It was reliable, only oil changes. Driving it was not fun but dependable. My wife totaled it at 75K miles.
Why do you say your Bolt is of higher built quality than your Prius? I am just trying to understand where Chevrolet did it right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would not mind a Tesla if I have a high double comma $ net-worth, (U.S. numbering convention). The model 3 just seems plain to me and if it is an affordable Tesla, it loses it's cachet. ;-)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My wife had a Corolla when I met her, we bought our son a 07 Corolla. Man, those little 4 cylinder engines just don't quit. One reason I am looking at the Bolt is the tax credit. Plus we are installing solar panels. I work swing-shift so most days I can top up an EV at home before work. I can charge free at work too if the stalls are available. But that may go away one day. Still, with the large battery capacity, I can store up enough juice to last almost all week of commuting 60 miles round trip.

Are there any issues with charging low current from solar panels? (Other than it would take many, many hours.) I am thinking of charging up on the weekend with solar for weekly commute.

·
Registered
57 Posts
As for reliability, EV cars are much simpler than combustion powered cars and Consumer Reports rated the Bolt the most reliable car in the Chevy line up.

Jeff

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I grew up in the 70's when Detroit built junk cars. They lost me since to the Toyondas. I consider myself both a gear-head and sparky, so I am not afraid to fix things. But prefer to tinker with things on my own terms.
Consumer Reports' reliability survey of owners has rated the Bolt as "Above Average" in terms of reliability. They gave 5/5 marks ("much above average") for every category except:

4/5 ("Above average") for Suspension, Body Integrity, Paint/Trim
2/5 ("Below average") for In-Car electronics.

Judging from all the reports we've seen here about issues with the infotainment screen hanging, gripes about phone integration, etc. that seems about right.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Consumer Reports' reliability survey of owners has rated the Bolt as "Above Average" in terms of reliability. They gave 5/5 marks ("much above average") for every category except:

4/5 ("Above average") for Suspension, Body Integrity, Paint/Trim
2/5 ("Below average") for In-Car electronics.

QUOTE]
=======================
I looked in the Apr(?)2017 CR car rating and did not find much on the Bolt. I thought the volumes were too low and not enough history to report. l don't always agree with CR, eg. Tesla "near perfect car" only to later report lower than average reliability. That said, I worked in consumer tech industry and I understand more than most about product defects. It is all a probability game. How lucky do I feel?
Let me illustrate, I had a $25 recirculation fan control switch fail on a car, but due to it being buried in the dash, it's cost $500 to replace. I spent a few hours scraping knuckles to get to it. Whoa the thing was made of plastic gears guaranteed to fail in a few years. :mad:/
And I never had a good experience at a car dealership service dept.
That's why I always chuckle when car advertise the best warranty.

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Why do you say your Bolt is of higher built quality than your Prius? I am just trying to understand where Chevrolet did it right.
My 2012 PIP had lots of rattles.
That "organic" plastic they used for the dashboard squeaked at low temps.
Virtually no sound deadening materials at all inside the PIP, very loud inside at highway speeds.
Doors were extremely lightweight and sounded cheap when closed.
Despite ongoing adjustments to the rear hatch rubber bumpers... that rear hatch always rattled.
The rear hatch material was so thin, you could twist the hatch from side to side with your hands.
The front hood aluminum is so thin you could put permanent dents in it if you closed it incorrectly.

If you go on any of the Prius forums... you'll see numerous complaints regarding rattles and squeaks on third gen Prius's.

The Bolt has none of those issues!

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
^ GM partnered with LG in making the Bolt, much of the electronics in the Bolt comes from LG.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I traded a 14 camry hybrid to get into the Bolt. I have been into Toyota/Honda all my life owning at least 10 of them.
While I swore off GM years ago and saw the Bolt for the first time, I thought I was dreaming when I walked in a Chevy dealership and was actually greated by someone of intelligence.
I really had to sit down and reflect on what I had just driven.
The Bolt is everything the other forum members say it is and more.
This is not a typical GM assembled product.
You will not be disappointed...
And not a squeek or rattle in mine either.
I know it is shocking...but true.
I think GM assembled one **** of a design team on this...
LG has always supplied batteries to GM.
Yes there are issues (seats) but overall GM came out of nowhere on this.
And yes, under ideal weather conditions 238 miles is within reach.
I've seen many a Tesla and the build quality on them is not even close to the Bolt.
If GM is capable of this and can just continue...we are all in for quite a treat as future variants are released.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Do not buy from john l sullivan in roseville

Hi everyone, I have been researching several EVs and PHEVs. The Bolt is a front runner. The Honda Clarity PHEV due out next year looks nice. I did own a Prius Plug-in but the EV range was a joke. However, I love it when I cruise on EV mode.
The two things that keeps me on the fence are:

1) Reliability of the Bolt. I grew up in the 70's when Detroit built junk cars. They lost me since to the Toyondas. :eek:
I consider myself both a gear-head and sparky, so I am not afraid to fix things. But prefer to tinker with things on my own terms.

2) Resale value of EVs in general. Why not lease?

I'd love to hear from real Bolt owners on these concerns.

fireme
Only one piece of advice from an Auburn resident- DO NOT BUY FROM JOHN L SULLIVAN IN ROSEVILLE. Worst buying experience ever. They employ 1970's tactics (like we don't research our arses off before we come in) and the turnaround on salespeople is horrible. No talent young salesforce who doesn't give a rip about the car, or even know anything about it. Spent SIX HOURS there, and walked out before finally getting the car we wanted, and even then were not advised about options, trim level differences, etc. Then the salesman begged for a good review!

That being said- LOVE the car, use it as a secondary commuter.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Love the bolt. Best car I have ever driven. Mainly for saving me money, bottom line.
Detroit has made good cars since the late 80's when japan kicked their ass.
Deprecation will happen a lot as long as the federal credit is around.
However their are a ton of ice cars that have almost as much deprecation as electric.
If you drive a ton of miles, own the car. If you drive less than the lease allows then Lease.
If you good with the car you have now the. Wait 2 years. 20 different model of electric cars coming. Can't wait like me to save of gas buy the bolt, best car for the money, hands down, now.

·
Registered
4,802 Posts
I looked in the Apr(?)2017 CR car rating and did not find much on the Bolt. I thought the volumes were too low and not enough history to report. l don't always agree with CR, eg. Tesla "near perfect car" only to later report lower than average reliability.
The reliability information comes from their annual reliability survey, the results of which were just recently posted. The latest April annual auto issue predates this new info.

People often seem to confuse the "Rating" that Consumer Reports gives vehicles versus their reliability survey. CR's "Rating" is based on a road test, evaluation of the car's features, what it's specs and price is, as well as how reliable it's expected to be.

The reliability survey is none of this. It's a tabulation of the experience of how many or few problems actual car owners have had with their cars. The latest survey includes responses from over 640,000 owners, so it's pretty comprehensive.

When CR tested the Tesla Model S they didn't have reliability info yet, and they really liked how the car performed, the features it had, etc. etc. - so they gave it a great rating. Unfortunately when the reliability survey results came in they were pretty dismal, and based on that CR lowered its rating. Tesla's been working the bugs out of the Model S and more recent reliability surveys have been more positive, and CR's rating has been reflecting those improvements.

What CR is saying about the Bolt is: owners are reporting that the Bolt has fewer problems than are reported by owners of other cars. That information will be factored into their overall rating once they get around to doing their road test and full evaluation. But in the meantime it's useful, non-anecdotal evidence for people who are concerned as to whether GM can produce a decently reliable car.

IMHO that's a valid concern considering that GM ranks 18th in the list of most reliable manufacturers. Fortunately, CR says that according to their survey the Bolt is GM's most reliable car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts