Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 24 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
You'd have to test current and voltage also. Low voltage on outlet is bad. Out of spec current is bad. Look at line length also. The cable insulation is rated quite high but 170F seems of concern.

nema 14-50 normally means you have a 50 amp circuit so you'd need to look at the type of cable and how much it fills conduit or other issues. Examples of various types.
Your local code can't be less than NEC but can be more. https://www.camperrules.com/what-size-wire-for-50-amps#axzz761VW8UPY
Thanks a great website/resource. I know the nema 14-50 was done with a new 50 amp breaker and 8 gauge copper wire and the run is only 12 inches off my breaker box. Either way getting a new charger (grizzl-e) in a couple days and I'll see how the plug/cord heats up under similar load/ambient conditions.

·
Super Moderator
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
290 Posts
Thanks a great website/resource. I know the nema 14-50 was done with a new 50 amp breaker and 8 gauge copper wire and the run is only 12 inches off my breaker box.
12 inches is nothing. The 50 amp run to my hot tub was probably close to 50', and it was 8 gauge copper. I can't recall exactly what the tub drew at full power, but it did require a 50 amp circuit. You won't have any heating issues with a run that short. :)

·
Registered
28 Posts
12 inches is nothing. The 50 amp run to my hot tub was probably close to 50', and it was 8 gauge copper. I can't recall exactly what the tub drew at full power, but it did require a 50 amp circuit. You won't have any heating issues with a run that short. :)
Yes my heating issue are with the old charger it seems, lets see the results with the new charger.

·
Registered
692 Posts
If you can safely use a volt meter and ohm meter that would help.

We have a Fluke meter that monitors a condition where non-linear components are in normal power. That means you should be getting a pure sine wave in your home/office/factory. What happens is all the electronic stuff causes the voltage to be a what you might see by looking at audio recording. Those harmonics cause overheating of plugs and devices. It is possible that your current device is the cause. I will remind you that if you have a 32A charger on a 50A circuit (and 1 foot away) there should be no way you seen anything but maybe a 5 degree raise.

21 - 24 of 24 Posts