Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
It's clear now. After talking with others, no more videos whit the new update. By now, CarStream not working anyone have another solution to see videos from USB? Passengers will surely love it...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Video playback removed in 14.4.2

Yup...mine's gone after the update. Worked only when in Park so don;t know why they would remove it.
Same here, it seems that the video playback feature have been removed.:eek:
:(
My kids loved it, when they were forced to wait inside the car.
:crying:

I will try other format to see if it is only my files.

·
Registered
368 Posts
CODECs are important, but (de)muxers are also important. MP4 is a container, yes, but to get things in/out of that container you need to know how to (de)multiplex streams of data. Not all (de)muxers are created equal and some will fail when mixing different brands/authors of (de)muxers. Despite there being a standard, even professional (de)muxer authors will shirk some parts of the MP4 spec cause time=money and they only care until users stop paying them money.

Heck, the CODEC could still be a problem. It's why "MP4" specifies profiles levels so that not every decoder needs to be a swiss army knife. They can just support specific profiles (subset of "MP4" features) and do those well and ignore wasting time effort to handle other features they'll never care about.

This is why there are always reference implementations of anything when it comes to standards. Like reference boards, 3D renderers, codecs, mux/demuxers. These reference implementations are meant to verify spec compatibility and not about the cheapest, fastest way to do something. That's where the implementers differentiate themselves from each other.
Much of this is true. None of it is relevant.

·
Registered
115 Posts
It's clear now. After talking with others, no more videos whit the new update. By now, CarStream not working anyone have another solution to see videos from USB? Passengers will surely love it...
CarStream still works. Use it all the time. They've got instructions on the page on how to get it working. Isn't too hard, there's a free APK cloner utility that seems to bypass the Google Blocks.

·
Registered
150 Posts
CarStream still works. Use it all the time. They've got instructions on the page on how to get it working. Isn't too hard, there's a free APK cloner utility that seems to bypass the Google Blocks.
I'm not so impotent on how to use Android stuff and CarStream brick AA so I have to factory rebuilt.
Maybe there's another way to install it or the APK file I get was bad?!??!? And it seems that CarStream cannot play local files only streaming from Youtube. I'm searching for a solution that works on a USB stick but the new update piss me off on that now...

·
Registered
150 Posts
After couples of try, finnally succeeded to make CarStream works with AA and play .MP4 stored in my SD card inside the phone.
And if I one day succeeded to install Plex Media Server on that phone, Plex is able to play many different types of videos.

So now, my wife have a good reason to watch the screen and let me drive quietly whithout earing all of her annoying stories like "you know what my best did ???", some topics that I just don't care about!!!! 0:)

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
After couples of try, finnally succeeded to make CarStream works with AA and play .MP4 stored in my SD card inside the phone.
And if I one day succeeded to install Plex Media Server on that phone, Plex is able to play many different types of videos.

So now, my wife have a good reason to watch the screen and let me drive quietly whithout earing all of her annoying stories like "you know what my best did ???", some topics that I just don't care about!!!! 0:)
After reading your post, I decided to try and get CarStream working in my Bolt again. I goofed trying to root my phone the first time around and bricked it. Luckily I found the unbrick procedure, and the 2nd time was the charm! Got CarStream up and running in the Bolt via Android Auto again. Only issue is video played in YouTube via CarStream is only playing at 360p. I'm sure there's some setting I simply missed.

Road trips will the fam will be a little more bearable again!

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts

I found there is an app (AA mirror....google to find the apk) that will allow you to mirror your phone's display and project it onto the Bolt's center display. Pretty sweet! Only downside is I haven't figured out a way to stretch the display all the way to the margins. But sweet nonetheless.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I read at "gm-volt.com" that the Chevy Volt can also play videos on its screen from a USB drive. I do know that many Ford vehicles with larger displays do play videos by using the RCA jacks inside the center console area between the front seats, but you have to attach a portable DVD or video source to do it. Some F-150 truck owners have defeated the video source switch and play videos while driving!

·
Registered
4,652 Posts
I found there is an app (AA mirror....google to find the apk) that will allow you to mirror your phone's display and project it onto the Bolt's center display. Pretty sweet! Only downside is I haven't figured out a way to stretch the display all the way to the margins. But sweet nonetheless.
I tried Full Mirror for MirrorLink. Not showing up on car screen. Do you have a link for the app you used?

·
Registered
189 Posts
I tried Full Mirror for MirrorLink. Not showing up on car screen. Do you have a link for the app you used?
This is the GitHub I found for the AA Mirror. There's a thread on Reddit and also XDA. Not much shown on the GitHub unfortunately, and I have NOT installed this to try.

https://github.com/slashmax/AAMirror

21 - 35 of 35 Posts