Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
It's common, even though their left turn arrow has gone dead red, a few drivers will just keep turning. This is because the typical oncoming ICE driver has to see his green come on, move the foot off the brake, onto the throttle, spool up the torque converter and finally get moving. This lag time has taught many left-turners they have time to cheat on the red.

With the Bolt, if first in line, with one pedal driving and the instant response of the electric motor, light goes green and I'm coming; often right into the wide eyes of the left-turn cheater in my side of the intersection and sometimes another coming behind him. Been a couple of close calls before I learned to watch at those left turn arrow intersections and expect vehicles to still be broadside in my lane on my green and have to come at them slower than Bolt normal.

Anyone else experienced this?

jack vines

·
Registered
181 Posts
Yes, I do this often. If I can force the left arrow cheaters to stop, it takes them even longer to get through the intersection holding up the rest of the people going straight. Then fewer people can get straight through on the green and some will run the red light continuing the cycle even more. Eventually some drivers will get quite angry causing a road rage incident.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes, I do this often. If I can force the left arrow cheaters to stop, it takes them even longer to get through the intersection holding up the rest of the people going straight. Then fewer people can get straight through on the green and some will run the red light continuing the cycle even more. Eventually some drivers will get quite angry causing a road rage incident.
Yes, it would be nice to be a force for mindful driving, but as you say, the offenders are just as likely to go into denial and get mad at we Boltista for pointing out their misdeed. It's likely, their opinion, they were actually moving traffic along more quickly, because the ICE drivers weren't using that initial second or two of the green. Now that the Bolt one pedal can get into motion more quickly, the red-light bandits haven't encountered it enough to have adjusted their actions or thinking.

I've yet to even try the Bolt's horn, though I've read here that it's loud.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There is a dumb residential intersection that I often pass through that's controlled by a light. There is no dedicated left turn lane and the lane is wide enough such that a car could pass you on the right. I often am at the front of the line going straight with someone behind me turning left. Almost as often there's some idiot who thinks they can slowly approach the intersection and pass everyone on the right then accelerate pass the front of the line (me) straight through the intersection. With the Bolt, I have caught one car so far off-guard and they were forced to panic stop since they couldn't pass me as I shot off from a stop with instant torque. They were really close to hitting parked cars, so this is why I don't show off the Bolt's or Volt's acceleration off the line next to shady cars: they think I want to race. Many a times when I first was adjusting to my old Volt did I give off the impression I wanted to race. Had a motorcycle even think I was racing it. Seriously, the 0-30 of the Bolt or Volt is useful enough as a weapon for traffic ninjas. Don't need to use it for racing at all. Besides, either one would lose to ICEs once above 30mph.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
There is a dumb residential intersection that I often pass through that's controlled by a light. There is no dedicated left turn lane and the lane is wide enough such that a car could pass you on the right. I often am at the front of the line going straight with someone behind me turning left. Almost as often there's some idiot who thinks they can slowly approach the intersection and pass everyone on the right then accelerate pass the front of the line (me) straight through the intersection. With the Bolt, I have caught one car so far off-guard and they were forced to panic stop since they couldn't pass me as I shot off from a stop with instant torque. They were really close to hitting parked cars, so this is why I don't show off the Bolt's or Volt's acceleration off the line next to shady cars: they think I want to race. Many a times when I first was adjusting to my old Volt did I give off the impression I wanted to race. Had a motorcycle even think I was racing it. Seriously, the 0-30 of the Bolt or Volt is useful enough as a weapon for traffic ninjas. Don't need to use it for racing at all. Besides, either one would lose to ICEs once above 30mph.
BTDTBNA with the wife in the car.

Besides, either one would lose to ICEs once above 30mph.
To the quickest ICEs, but I find the Bolt (6.5 sec 0-60 MPH) holds its own with most, even at highway speeds. It's the instant response which gits 'er done; today's 10-speed turbo ICEs have to downshift three gears, spool up the turbo, unlock the converter. By the time all that happens, the Bolt is far enough ahead, they're playing catch up.

jack vines

·
Registered
220 Posts
Are you referring to cars that are ahead of the white stop line when the light turns red/turn arrow canceled, or people that are behind the stop line and jackrabbit or "cling on" to those driver(s) turning left who have the right of way? In small intersections usually there is only room for one waiting left turn car in the intersection, but in larger multi-lane cross roads sometimes several could fit between the engineered turn arc right of the center line and the white stop line.

Some states like New York, only one car can be *in* the intersection waiting, while in others the law is more ambiguous. California apparently has a badly written law but most instructors seem to think that it is consistent with the rest of the country, allowing waiting in the intersection on left turns. Cars in the intersection must be allowed to clear the intersection before opposing traffic gains the right of way by signal change in all states. No one can legally proceed past the white stop line if the signal for that lane is red, of course.

I've read un-cited claims that some states say that a car must be fully in front of the white stop line, but this is not true in most states where it holds that if any portion of the vehicle is ahead of the stop line they must clear the intersection before right of way passes to other traffic. The more permissive case makes more sense, because longer vehicles like a tractor trailer would not fit fully in front of the white line in many intersections. This is further complicated by laws in most or all states that blocking an intersection is illegal, the test applied usually rests on whether a motor vehicle operator could reasonably assume they could clear the intersection within the normal light cycle - this does not only apply to turns but also congested areas for straight through traffic.

This seems to be a common driver training issue and seems to be taught poorly in some states/locales. Some people also take advantage of the light timing illegally, this seems more common in larger metro areas with heavier traffic. As well, I'm not sure how the law is defined in other countries on these issues, and the US could probably benefit immensely from federalized driving standards.

·
Registered
114 Posts
My motto is: look before foot.
I couldn't agree more with this. I've nearly been killed driving in Houston due to drivers straight up running red lights in the middle of a cycle. I'm still uncomfortable approaching an intersection where I don't think the driver in cross-traffic slowing down fast enough to the line.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Every motorcyclist has had it drilled into them to wait a moment after the light goes green before going...
^^^This ^^^
It has nothing to do with propulsion type.
I was taught to look after the light turned
when I learned to drive 40 years ago.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Every motorcyclist has had it drilled into them to wait a moment after the light goes green before going...
This. According to the Hurt Report, left turners are the No. 1 cause of moto crashes that aren't single-vehicle.

It's not only left turners. Years ago, I commuted on a bicycle in San Francisco, and after a car ran an "old" red light at 30 mph and missed my front tire by 2 feet, I learned to stop "believing" traffic signals and look at traffic instead.

Of course I'm doubly prone to left turners thinking they have plenty of time to cheat, as I drive an electric motorcycle in addition to the Bolt. My 0-30 mph time on the bike is 1.5 seconds.

Be careful out there!

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
BTDTBNA with the wife in the car.

To the quickest ICEs, but I find the Bolt (6.5 sec 0-60 MPH) holds its own with most, even at highway speeds. It's the instant response which gits 'er done; today's 10-speed turbo ICEs have to downshift three gears, spool up the turbo, unlock the converter. By the time all that happens, the Bolt is far enough ahead, they're playing catch up.

jack vines
What does "BTDTBNA" mean? A quick Google search didn't yield anything. Good point on the fast response. The Volt was only 7.5 0-60 and I found it pretty similar to other sedans when overtaking (more suicidal drivers matching speed with me when I overtake them). Whatever response advantage it had, it lost with the 7.5 sec. With the Bolt, I've never realized until your comment that I am overtaking others faster now and they can't stop me as easily since the Bolt has both the response time and the acceleration advantage now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts