Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently experienced some crackling and pops in the sound system. (Note: wish the system had an OFF button.) Found water in in the bay deep in the trunk where the amplifier lives. GM repaired under warranty - apparently there was a seal failure in the compartment, allowing water in.

Recommend, if you experience snap/crackle/pop in sound system to inspect the trunk well and get the water out.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Thank you, @michaeln, for warning us. I'll have to include inspecting the foam insert area as part of spring cleaning. Regardless if I have an LT, I wouldn't want mold to start growing there either.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Recently experienced some crackling and pops in the sound system. (Note: wish the system had an OFF button.) Found water in in the bay deep in the trunk where the amplifier lives. GM repaired under warranty - apparently there was a seal failure in the compartment, allowing water in.

Recommend, if you experience snap/crackle/pop in sound system to inspect the trunk well and get the water out.
My amplifier totally gave up and now they are blaming me for a bottle of water in the trunk having leaked....they are not sure it will be covered under warranty....

There are sending a leak expert on Monday to assess who is responsible and are not saying much till then.

My question is that supposed to happen (water getting into amplifier) in the first place? does not sound like a good design especially located in the trunk area.

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
My amplifier totally gave up and now they are blaming me for a bottle of water in the trunk having leaked....they are not sure it will be covered under warranty....

There are sending a leak expert on Monday to assess who is responsible and are not saying much till then.

My question is that supposed to happen (water getting into amplifier) in the first place? does not sound like a good design especially located in the trunk area.

If you admitted to a bottle of water in the trunk that leaked, you're probably done.

If GM falsely accused you of having spilled a water bottle in the trunk, they're just fishing for an admission. They've got a pretty high bar to pass in order to prove it was you, if it wasn't you.

BTW, interior components are rarely waterproofed, except in vehicles specifically designed for use in water.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Same thing happened to me the other day took it to the dealer and they find the same results try to say that the car had been hit in the rear causing it car never has been in any accidents dealer just trying to find a way to not have to cover it.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How many stories on this blog involve damage due to a leaked bottle??? It seems that I have read that exact story, here, at least 3 or 4 times. It does seem like a very common way out, unless a lot of us Bolt owners keep leaky (open) bottles directly over the spot that matters. In my case, I have never had anything other than tough garment bags of groceries back there for only minutes at a time.

However, I want to defend the owner/user. An area designated for carrying such items as groceries (water/Silk/milk/alcohol, et al) must be able to completely seal electronics of any kind from moisture. I would never side with an insurance investigator who signed off on the area legally not being responsible for its own protection.

We are talking about the one area where the manufacturer says to put such stuff.

·
Registered
167 Posts

Out of curiosity, how long did it take for them to repair the seal? And did they just fix the seal but didn't replace the amp or just repaired the amp?

·
Registered
6 Posts
My 2019 is exciting this issue. 2 days ago, amp was cutting out and actually stopped working completely. I found alot of water back there. Thought maybe it was water from my son's hockey water bottle but he pulled it from his bag and it was pretty full and the bag was dry.

So I stayed everything up. Took out amp, took out sub. Sub enclosure had water in it. Anyway all dry after. Amp stayed off for a day but came back to life 24 hrs after it cut out.

We had heavy rain last night and I found water in the trunk again. Going into dealer on Tuesday.

·
Registered
2,354 Posts
Yeah I am sure of that, where is the seal, the hatch seal looks fine. I can see water lines from back of the trunk tub. Water has been clean so probably not puddle water.
I'm assuming it's the white one at bottom of the picture. But I wonder about the big grey blobs at the top of the picture. Mine had small cracks developing in the what I'm assuming is some kind of epoxy.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Same thing happened to me this past winter. I took it to Chevy, and was spared the accusations of a leaking water bottle. They replaced the amplifier and resealed the hatch under warranty. The longest part of the repair was waiting for the sealant to come in. The amp showed up the next day but the sealant took a week.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Dealer replaced seal, forgot to replace amp. It's still cuts out occasionally. I'll go back for the amp tomorrow.

For a rental I got a Cruze to drive, what a horrible car that is.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
About this Discussion
15 Replies
12 Participants
PaulyGI
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing