Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I read that Waze is out of beta and available as a map selection in Android Auto. I have not been able to get it to work. I have the Google Pixel phone. Any successful experiences would be appreciated.

Thanks,
-Robert

·
Registered
35 Posts
Any luck getting this on Apple Carplay? I just can't stand apple maps....

Reactions: Wyvern

·
Registered
121 Posts
Boot up Android Auto in your car a couple of times. It will eventually appear as an optional Nav choice. Fiddling with the phone AA doesn't accomplish anything. I've been using Waze in my car for almost a week now and it still doesn't show up inside the phone's AA.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
I did what mmannis suggested above. Updated Waze first. Then uninstalled & reinstalled Android auto (AA) which asked if I wanted to use GoogleMaps (GMs) or Waze as my default. I chose Waze. When I plotted a trip in GMs (voice activated) it showed (and started) the trip on GMs. When I plugged in my cord, & AA launched, Waze appeared (to the correct destination but with a slightly different route. While driving, I could not change the route to what I wanted. Waze also did not give me the common distance-to-go, time-to-go, & time of arrival indications. I tried to switch to GMs while plugged in (unsuccessful). I tried to de-cord and switch to GMs (unsuccessful). I tried to turn Waze off (unsucc.). I tried to "force stop" Waze (unsucc.) I finally had to "uninstall" Waze to even see and/or use GMs. Someone smarter than I could probably walk me through it, but since I did not need the traffic jams, weather, and police radar guns, I went back to the familiar.

Unrelated question, but you are all smart and probably have the answer: When navigating with GMs, I FREQUENTLY encounter "GPS signal lost". It starts giving me different directions as if I was back at the drop-point and had not plotted a route. Several times on my 365 mile trip yesterday, I had to "pull the plug", again "voice set" the destination, get "directions" and "start" the navigation. THEN replug. It also seems as if when you get off-route for a BR or snack break, it has great difficulty getting you back on the "route" again, even when you know you got back on the expressway correctly. The GPS still can't seem to find where I am and "re-join" the route. Any others have similar experiences? It is certainly a "phone" problem and not a Bolt problem. Any suggestions? Did anyone buy a Garmin GPS and NOT use GMs sent to the Infotainment screen?

·
Registered
121 Posts
Do both Maps and Waze appear as options when you press the car's AA Nav button? Sounds like some reboots are in order. Also you may have to have both running in the background on your phone to be able to switch between them. I've had instances where I have tried to switch and ended up with a black screen.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I was trying it over the weekend to see how it worked. It was okay for Navigation but every time I tried to interact with it, it would crash to the "Return to Chevrolet" screen. Even then, it would take a while to clear like the Waze app had put AA in a loop.

I'll probably ignore it until it gets the next update then try it again. Right now, it's too buggy.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I've run it without issue since it came out of beta. Had to uninstall and reinstall AA to be able to select it but after that it has been fine. I've used it to report police, road hazards, etc. Wish it showed speed limits on roads like the regular Android version does.

·
Registered
4,785 Posts
Do both Maps and Waze appear as options when you press the car's AA Nav button?
I wonder if the complaint has to do with voice commands to "navigate to....". When you do that it I expect that it will select the default navigation app rather than giving you the choice.

·
Banned
350 Posts
It works, but because it's using AA, the map display is half the size it could be - not actually a lot bigger than some cellphone screens.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I noticed with mine that when I have a voice command to navigate to work it used the work address from my Google maps profile and passed that to Waze instead of using the work address I had in Waze. It appears to get navigation by voice to destination you need to make sure your Google accounts have the information correct as it appears those are passed through to Waze instead of Waze looking those up.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Waze is available now on Apple Carplay. Anyone interested?

Edit: just tried it and it appears to work well but sitting in my garage and playing around with it for 5 min is probably not the greatest test.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Do both Maps and Waze appear as options when you press the car's AA Nav button? n.
As soon as I plug my phone into the USB port,( I usually also need charging, so I plug in vs Bluetooth), AA launches.
If I type something into the Search box, it gives the choice of Maps or Waze.
Using a Samsung S7.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's just okay. I lost the road line several times, but the voice still told me where to turn. Many times, it cannot load the route. It doesn't recognize that my GPS is on. The estimation tool is poor. But I receive alerts for traffic jams and disabled vehicles if the app works. It was even after an update. Needs work but could be good. It was the first time I used it for a car trip. I'm going to use the GPS on the phone for a while.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I've used Waze several times successfully in the Bolt. It tends to use a lot more data than Google. Since I'm using limited data from my phone, I'd rather use Google.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Ran it on way home from work today. Worked well, but my goodness Waze is chatty. Kept interrupting my audio book. Anyway, you can report hazards from the car stereo display and the phone stays on as a 2nd display showing hazards ahead or directions while the main display shows the map. Just lovely. They really did a great job on this one! I did see something in the setup about saying "hey waze" instead of hey siri, but haven't played with that yet.

I'll tell ya... this is amazing.... on the way home today I was letting waze guide me, reporting some construction on the highway, listening to an audiobook and then got a text which I responded to by voice. The car play system is really rather awesome.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts