Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2018 after the first recall was performed to correct the range display to stop the sudden loss of propulsion from a bad battery pack, I had gotten a diagnostic message from Onstar, an e-mail, and a phone call that my vehicle determined that my pack needed to be replaced. This weak cell is obviously a different issue from what's happening with these fires as it was just consistently a much lower voltage.

I finally took the time to find the screenshot of the cell voltages that I took with torquepro before the replacement. Cell #21 was 125 mV below the average of the rest of the cells at a full charge. I don't think I have any information about what it was at different charge levels, nor anything about reported capacity or range, nor an idea of if the pack I had received was new or if it was refurbished.

GM's new pack replacement threshold is 80 mV, I think at the time it was 100 mV.

I'm definitely frustrated at the possibility that I might have to have yet another pack replacement done under recall if GM decides to go that route.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
I'm definitely frustrated at the possibility that I might have to have yet another pack replacement done under recall if GM decides to go that route.
Why be frustrated? Just look at it differently. You are going to get a brand new, US-assembled battery, good for another 100-200k miles, for free. The Bolt will be your "short range" (up to 200 miles total trip) car for the next 15 years. Or, 400 miles round-trip, if you overnight and can charge at destination. You, or your kids. It will also up the resale value if you decide to change vehicles at some point. "This car got a brand new battery at (say) 50k miles, with the new, improved battery pack that doesn't catch fire. The value of this Bolt is the same as one with 50k fewer miles."

·
Premium Member
2021 chevy bolt premier ev
173 Posts
Why be frustrated? Just look at it differently. You are going to get a brand new, US-assembled battery, good for another 100-200k miles, for free. The Bolt will be your "short range" (up to 200 miles total trip) car for the next 15 years. Or, 400 miles round-trip, if you overnight and can charge at destination. You, or your kids. It will also up the resale value if you decide to change vehicles at some point. "This car got a brand new battery at (say) 50k miles, with the new, improved battery pack that doesn't catch fire. The value of this Bolt is the same as one with 50k fewer miles."
You basically won the lottery
Congratulations!!

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My kid is 18 months old. I definitely don't anticipate the Bolt being in good shape by the time he's legal to drive if it's still my primary commuting vehicle. Even if they do offer a new pack, in 5 years the Bolt's resale won't be really any good because most of the new EVs on the market will be capable of doing long road trips without a third to half of the time being spent charging.

·
Registered
2020 Chevy Bolt and all Tesla models owned by me and my family
641 Posts
My kid is 18 months old. I definitely don't anticipate the Bolt being in good shape by the time he's legal to drive if it's still my primary commuting vehicle. Even if they do offer a new pack, in 5 years the Bolt's resale won't be really any good because most of the new EVs on the market will be capable of doing long road trips without a third to half of the time being spent charging.
It all boil down to price you paid on new ...my girlfriend bought Premier with all bells and whistles out of the door 24.3k and at this price it is not bad owning....but in most instances owning EV over this price is financial suicide vs lease....unless you use EV for business and you can justify outrageous costs on EV . But even then it is better lease than own.
Just my opinion...Maybe some day when packs get down on 80-100 Kwh to 10k or less it will be reasonable to many to fix instead of taking it to Salvage.
Biggest problem is that just traction pack could cost you with labor more than example.....Brand new Toyota Corolla.

·
Registered
2019 Bolt EV, fire edition
57 Posts
The recall says techs replace CELLS not packs. You could have other faulty cells waiting to go bad. Do you trust GM's software to catch all potentially ~20 cells before they burst into flames or enter thermal runaway?

·
Registered
284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The recall says techs replace CELLS not packs. You could have other faulty cells waiting to go bad. Do you trust GM's software to catch all potentially ~20 cells before they burst into flames or enter thermal runaway?
They had replaced the entire pack back then. Of course it was still just another pack that had the same potential problems as the one that was just replaced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts