Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The manual recommends using weatherstrip lubricant (GM part no 3634770) on the weatherstrip, turns out Amazon carries it

Weatherstrip lubricant

It's a bit spendy, but has all good reviews, apparently a little goes a long way. You can use a cheaper alternative too

Lubricant/weatherstrip

I ordered both and will report back, I'll use the cheap stuff on the less critical weatherstrips and the good on the important/visible ones. Probably a good idea for harsh climates.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
Nice! I was just wondering about what product to use on that trim since I'm way too cheap to take it into GM to do.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BMW guys (and any other older German car owners) like Gummifledge
Still new so I can't link it - but search Amazon for nextzett 91480615 'Gummi Pflege Stift' Rubber Care Stick - 3.4 fl. oz

I'm still on my original bottle I bought back in like 2002.

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
$54 for one ounce?

How about:
"303 Rubber Seal Protectant and Conditioner for Weather Seals - 3.4 fl. oz."
$7 for 3.4 oz.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm usually not anal about my cars because ICE autos gets so dirty, and there's so much maintenance already to deal with. But with a BEV there's so little maintenance I can start to care about niceties like weatherstrip conditioning.

·
Registered
4,775 Posts
Wow, I've never used weather strip lubricant.
Yeah, I bought a brand new 1993 Plymouth Voyager and, to the best of my knowledge, it's never had any weatherstrip lubricant applied (unless the dealer did it back in the days when I had it serviced there). I still have the van, it runs great, and the weatherstripping is still holding up just fine...

·
Registered
1,286 Posts
I had an 88 Maxima Wagon up until 2016 and the weather stripping looked fine too. Nothing "stuck" or was coming loose to the point I noticed it.

I'm assuming because I'm in a temperate, fairly humid area that the rubber doesn't dry out or experience much frost damage, silicone lubricant is not needed.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts