Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Even having owned my 2017 Bolt for only 9 days, my 350 mile trip home taught me a lot. I was "flying solo" and learned the effect of highway speed and A/C on my achieved range. In 4 weeks I have a trip planned of 220 miles with two passengers (three people). How much loss of range will I notice from having 480 pounds on board instead of 180?

I plan to be fully charged (indicates 256 expected, 299 maximum [never possible in WV], drive ~60 mph on the Interstate (135 of the 220 miles), and use minimal A/C. I have the usual WV rolling ups and downs and ONE "mountain" range (2800 feet) to cross. I plan to charge (@30 amp) during a one hour lunch stop (adding ~24 miles). Thoughts on needing another re-charge stop?

As always, thank you to my learned compatriots!

·
Registered
989 Posts
I run 49 psi in my tires, cold. I also don't use hvac at all during non winter months. 60 mph
should help reduce battery demand and could offset the added weight to be negligible.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Speed is worse than weight.

There is a velocity squared factor in aerodynamic drag that stars to kick in around 50 mph - until 50 mph weight and rolling resistance dominate consumption after that aero-drag starts to have more of an effect, and then climant control is next.

You would be amazed how far you can go at 50 mph...

Don't sweat the weight and drive a little slower and smoother.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Also a good idea to take note of a few more chargers along the way, just as a precaution in case the lunch stop charger doesn't pan out.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
My theory on this is if you can fit in another charge stop somewhere, it's always better to be safe than sorry. Like Bazinga said above, take note of a few along the way at various distances on the trip so that way, in the scenario you feel a bit of range anxiety, you can always stop off somewhere and be prepared.

·
Registered
1,415 Posts
Old thread, but as mentioned above, once up to speed and on more or less level highways, loaded weight is a non-factor in range. Hills/mountains are a completely different equation; it takes power to raise weight. On most of our ICE cars, there is a computer algorithm which estimates current fuel MPG. It's always instructive to be on cruise control and watch the MPG drop to single digits when a substantial grade is encountered.

BTW, which screen functions on the Bolt most approximate the running MPG of the ICE computer?

I run 49 psi in my tires, cold.
I've been to Monterey, so OK there; but maybe wouldn't run 49 PSI on the bombed-out streets of Spokane, New Orleans, Philadelphia or many other cities.

jack vines

·
Registered
735 Posts
I wish they used more aluminum throughout the Bolt's construction since all I can find is that some body parts were made in that light weight metal. Carbon Fiber would be great, the Alfa Romeo 4C has a carbon fiber monocoque and priced around $60k... another option for the future, but a bit ambitious.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I wish they used more aluminum throughout the Bolt's construction since all I can find is that some body parts were made in that light weight metal. Carbon Fiber would be great, the Alfa Romeo 4C has a carbon fiber monocoque and priced around $60k... another option for the future, but a bit ambitious.
Alfa also doesn't include 60KwH of LiI battery capacity when they give you a 4C ;)

Actually GM went to great lengths to keep the weight of the Bolt down. If you look at the press photos showing all the use of different high-strength steels you'll see that weight was indeed a key consideration. All the doors, hatch, and hood are aluminum, that only leaves the roof and the structure of the car that is largely made up of high-strength steel (ie. less material required for equal strength). Also considering that the Bolt's total weight is only 3500lbs and almost 1000lbs of which is the battery alone, 2500lbs for a crash-worthy modern car with luxuries onboard is pretty commendable.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts