Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So it's July in Tucson, and it's hot. The a/c on my 2020 Bolt has had no trouble keeping up with it, even when it was 112F outside a couple of weeks ago. But when I turn the blower down to 1-2 on the fan setting, it no longer blows cold air at a lower flow rate, it blows lukewarm air. When I turn the fan up, it blows cold again. If anything it should be the opposite I would think.

Anybody else experienced this?

·
Registered
503 Posts
It’s possible that the compressor is disabled at low speeds. If you have torque pro/engine link, you could look at the DID that is compressor current. If it drops to zero, then... well, you know it’s off.

Did you read the manual covering the AC use? I haven’t.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It's a 2020 as I said in my post.

Why would it be disabled? You still need a/c regardless of your speed.

"If you have torque pro/engine link, you could look at the DID that is compressor current. If it drops to zero, then... well, you know it’s off."

- One more time in English?

Did I read the manual to learn how to operate the air conditioning? No. I've been driving cars with a/c for the best part of 50 years. I'm fairly comfortable with my understanding of how it's supposed to work.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have a 2020 as well. Living in Vegas, temperatures probably similar to yours. I also haven't read the manual ( RTFM ). I have had similar issues if siphoning off of the
battery A/C, but, if actually using the A/C, I have not. There are ( at least ) Two A/C settings. If you just hit A/C, then you can control various options such as fan speed.
If you push the button at the bottom of the A/C temperature control, then you just get temperature control that automatically adjusts the fan. I have looked at the A/C
power draw in Torque and still show draw even when it doesn't seem like A/C is on. If using the temperature control knob and button, as you move it to colder, the fan
speed increases. If you raise it, then the fan speed decreases. I am told that if A/C is on, and you move the temperature control TOO high, then the heater comes on so
you are actually running BOTH.

·
Registered
503 Posts
It's a 2020 as I said in my post.

Why would it be disabled? You still need a/c regardless of your speed.

"If you have torque pro/engine link, you could look at the DID that is compressor current. If it drops to zero, then... well, you know it’s off."

- One more time in English?

Did I read the manual to learn how to operate the air conditioning? No. I've been driving cars with a/c for the best part of 50 years. I'm fairly comfortable with my understanding of how it's supposed to work.
I'm pretty sure the software in the car doesn't care how old you are or how long you have been driving.

Sorry, I missed your note it was a 2020. I skim badly.

I'd say that if it does it again or repeatedly and it works at some times the way you prefer it and others that you don't that you should complain to the dealer and file an official report.
Maybe GM will issue a software fix (fat chance).

Not reading the manual because you're "fairly comfortable with my understanding of how it's supposed to work" is an excuse a lot of people make. Then they come here and ask questions that others who did have to explain to them. I've done it myself.

Let us know if it fixes itself on the next drive or three. If it does, go to the dealer or turn up the fan.

·
Registered
644 Posts
Could be a glitch of some sort. My 2019 doesn't do that. The only thing that affects the temperature of the air is the temperature setting.

Mike

·
Registered
25 Posts
I've experienced that "random" problem with my 2020 Bolt as well. I have not tried stopping and restarting the car to see if that "corrects" it. I never experienced the problem with my 2017 so it's something "new" to the Bolt and hopefully GM will have a Technical Service Bulletin fix for it soon. Problem here in TN is there's not enough Bolts around that if you talk to the dealer about the problem the response is "huh?".

·
Registered
545 Posts
Welcome to the world of GM climate control. One annoying thing is that the system has an "auto defrost" setting. If this is switched to "on", then the A/C or the heat will come on when you least expect it or want it to. The setting is buried in one of the menus. I switched mine to "off" and had much better results with the climate control system.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I just hit Auto and manually adjust the temperature and everything always works fine for me. It's regularly over 100 each day this time of the year and I've never had an issue so far in my 2019. I used to manually control climate settings like fan speed but have found over the years that Auto works far better at keeping the vehicle cool. If I don't want the fan blowing high, I adjust the temperature, not the fan speed and keep it on auto.

·
Registered
2020 Bolt
62 Posts
While I usually recommend reading the manual, there's not much detail about the hvac system. Personally I use the auto setting most of the time. What you say is happening really makes no sense. If you wait a bit without turning the fan back up does the air get cooler? I know I've had issues where the gain sensor goes in to the shade and I get less cooling.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Worst (confusing) HVAC I've had on any car maybe ever. The Auto function is way too aggressive. I usually end up with all manual control on a low fan speed with AC on.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts