Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just bought a new 2021 bolt and it just hit 2000 miles. I noticed a high pitched "static" type of noise when accelerating and regenning. I'm new to EVs but this doesn't seem like it should be normal. The link shows the noise I'm talking about but it is somewhat hard to hear in the video. The first second of accelerating is when it's easiest to hear. If anyone could help me out on whether I just need to take it to the dealer or not would be great. Thanks guys.

VIDEO LINK

·
Registered
1,979 Posts
Sounds like it could be "coil whine". I see that complaint with other EV's but not usually with the Bolt.

·
Registered
5,157 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
My 2019 had a high pitched whistle when you first step on the accelerator lightly. It could only be heard when you are near a wall with the driver's window down (I had the pedestrian sound disabled on mine). Sounds like pressing the trigger on an electric drill very lightly. That's normal. Don't know if that's what you are referring to but I didn't hear it in your video.

Mike

·
Registered
20 Bolt LT
116 Posts
Sounds like the pedestrian alert noise to me, which some have referred to as the "Cylon Raiders" sound. Compared to my 2017, on the 2020 it sounds a bit louder and sounds up to about 17mph instead of 14mph.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
143 Posts
you could temporarily pull the fuse and see if that is indeed the noise your hearing. if it goes away the noise has been identified

Underhood fuse 34

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Alright, I was able to get a video with the sound much more prominent. Play the video on the highest volume possible and you should easily be able to hear the noise. The video was taken while the windows were up. I know it's not the pedestrian safety noise or the general speed up and slow down noise. Coil whine could be the issue. The graphics card in my computer has coil whine and it sounds very similar.

New Video

·
Registered
39 Posts
My 2019 had a high pitched whistle when you first step on the accelerator lightly. It could only be heard when you are near a wall with the driver's window down (I had the pedestrian sound disabled on mine). Sounds like pressing the trigger on an electric drill very lightly. That's normal. Don't know if that's what you are referring to but I didn't hear it in your video.

Mike
Our Ford Focus EV has that, also.

·
Registered
918 Posts
The drop in pitch as you slow down sounds normal to me. I had that sound in my 2018 for three years and also hear it in my 2022 Bolt. I've always associated it with an electric motor slowing down. Check out this video especially around the 1:30 time mark:

·
Registered
315 Posts
Alright, I was able to get a video with the sound much more prominent. Play the video on the highest volume possible and you should easily be able to hear the noise. The video was taken while the windows were up. I know it's not the pedestrian safety noise or the general speed up and slow down noise. Coil whine could be the issue. The graphics card in my computer has coil whine and it sounds very similar.

New Video
Same decel sound as my 2020.

·
Registered
2021 Bolt LT
143 Posts
I have noticed that some people can hear different noises better than others.

I have had people ask me if I can hear something and I cannot hear it. Coil whine must be one of them. I never could hear it an any computer or server when others would tell me it is making noise.

The only thing I heard in mine was the alien noise maker. I unplugged my fuse to confirm that it was what I was hearing.
But never hear any coil whine in my car.

·
Registered
19 Posts

New Video
normal regen noise, no worries. happens when your in L mode or pulling the paddle in D/L mode and when decelerating in D mode.

·
Registered
6,473 Posts
Sounds like normal inverter noise to me. I get a similar dropping pitch on deceleration and rising pitch on acceleration.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts