Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I had Mustangs many folk in the corral had Corvette envy. When had Corvettes the old folk at drive in car show had Ferrari envy.
Now in the 21st century Bolt EVistas, sometimes may be defensive in regard to that famously infamous other electric car.
Well my sister and brother I tell you today, BoltEVistas are the ones to be envied
Ha!

·
Registered
362 Posts
"A heart at peace gives life to the body, but envy rots the bones."
After one year of owning a Bolt I know I made the right decision!

·
Registered
223 Posts
For me, the only thing to be envious of is the Supercharging network. Every other "advantage" is something I don't really need and in most cases I don't even want them (e.g. autopilot).

·
Registered
362 Posts
For me, the only thing to be envious of is the Supercharging network. Every other "advantage" is something I don't really need and in most cases I don't even want them (e.g. autopilot).
I agree on the autopilot feature. I enjoy driving, I don't need a car that does the driving for me. Would that even be called "driving"? Maybe "passengering"?

·
Registered
470 Posts
... I enjoy driving, I don't need a car that does the driving for me. Would that even be called "driving"? Maybe "passengering"?
Yeah but ... Some of your fellow motorists on the road are from 'back in the day'. My first president was FDR.

If I buy a very expensive car now I expect to get the same 15~20 years use I have with prior cars ... and by then self driving (as it has evolved by then) likely will make the road safer for everyone around me. :p

I'm quite aware my reflexes aren't as quick as 55 years ago when a motorcycle was my only transportation in college. Correctly sizing up what is going on around me, 'situational awareness', based on experience makes up for most of the slowed reflex time, I nearly never drive into a situation someone else caused. As I say to my wife occasionally, 'look at those fools up there, let's slow down back here and watch them have their accident'. It's been years since I had to brake tire-squealing hard for anything. (I'm not the slowpoke in the fast lane, I drive at about the 60th percentile of everyone else's speed, this gives me a choice of who I am driving among and I generally leave the fast lane free for the hurried folks).

Hopefully self-driving will exceed my human capabilities by the time I'm older. Dad recognized his limitations and gave up his license at 88, by that age I expect to hand over more of the awareness needed to arrive safely to Autopilot's radar, ACC, and other tools, maybe traffic communication among the cars on the road. I hope the technology has progressed to the degree to make that possible, by then.

I would never have considered autopilot useful back when I had hot cars and 4x4's that I could corner going sideways on dirt fire roads WRC style, but anything I buy today will be with an eye to the future.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
.....As I say to my wife occasionally, 'look at those fools up there, let's slow down back here and watch them have their accident'. It's been years since I had to brake tire-squealing hard for anything.
That is an excellent point and something that Autopilot may never be able to account for... human experience dealing with other humans!

·
Registered
244 Posts
I love the size and the sort of sub-SUV shape of the Bolt, so I’m not really interested in a Tesla. But, I would like SuperCruise. What little I’ve read about is very positive, especially when compared to AutoPilot. GM must have some the best engineers and worst marketing people in the industry.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I agree that autopilot will eventually make the roads safer. I am young enough that I'm fairly confident that driverless cars (as in, no steering wheel or pedals) will be common by the time I'm worried about reduced reflexes. For now, I love driving. I love having control of the car. The Bolt in Sport + L gives me unparalled control of the car - better even than "that other competing EV". That's not to say I'm reckless, though. On the contrary; the Model 3's superior acceleration is something I simply don't need or even really want. I rarely push the Bolt to its limit, and when I do, it's more than enough for me.

·
Registered
188 Posts
I agree on the autopilot feature. I enjoy driving, I don't need a car that does the driving for me. Would that even be called "driving"? Maybe "passengering"?
True self-driving could be useful when you would be driving in traffic-jammed commute traffic, though.

However, "Autopilot" is a poor choice of name for Tesla's enhanced cruise control system. Even though it is analogous to an airplane's autopilot (basically airplane cruise control, but the pilot must still be paying attention and ready to take control), the name gives the general public the impression that it has more self-driving capability than it actually does.

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
GM must have some the best engineers and worst marketing people in the industry.
As discussed elsewhere, GM is selling the number of vehicles they want. No sense marketing something you don't want to sell more of.

"Autopilot" is a poor choice of name for Tesla's enhanced cruise control system. Even though it is analogous to an airplane's autopilot (basically airplane cruise control, but the pilot must still be paying attention and ready to take control), the name gives the general public the impression that it has more self-driving capability than it actually does.
It's a perfect marketing term for what the Tesla system does.

As I've argued, even if the public misunderstands the capabilities and who is responsible when an aircraft autopilot is engaged, there would be no difference in the level of misuse of it. You could call the feature the "Swerveanator 3000", and people would still grow comfortable with giving control over to the system. Keep in mind that people start off very timid of the technology at first, even if they think it's 100% foolproof. It's the reliability of the system demonstrated over time that makes people blind to the danger, not the marketing term for the feature.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah but ... Some of your fellow motorists on the road are from 'back in the day'. My first president was FDR.

If I buy a very expensive car now I expect to get the same 15~20 years use I have with prior cars ... and by then self driving (as it has evolved by then) likely will make the road safer for everyone around me. :p

I'm quite aware my reflexes aren't as quick as 55 years ago when a motorcycle was my only transportation in college. Correctly sizing up what is going on around me, 'situational awareness', based on experience makes up for most of the slowed reflex time, I nearly never drive into a situation someone else caused. As I say to my wife occasionally, 'look at those fools up there, let's slow down back here and watch them have their accident'. It's been years since I had to brake tire-squealing hard for anything. (I'm not the slowpoke in the fast lane, I drive at about the 60th percentile of everyone else's speed, this gives me a choice of who I am driving among and I generally leave the fast lane free for the hurried folks).

Hopefully self-driving will exceed my human capabilities by the time I'm older. Dad recognized his limitations and gave up his license at 88, by that age I expect to hand over more of the awareness needed to arrive safely to Autopilot's radar, ACC, and other tools, maybe traffic communication among the cars on the road. I hope the technology has progressed to the degree to make that possible, by then.

I would never have considered autopilot useful back when I had hot cars and 4x4's that I could corner going sideways on dirt fire roads WRC style, but anything I buy today will be with an eye to the future.
FD who?
Never kept a car over 40000 miles
Boring

·
Registered
470 Posts
FD who?
Never kept a car over 40000 miles
Boring
Different priorities for different folks. I'm cheap but not poor. I've always paid cash for new cars, the two I have now Outback and Focus Wagon still look nice and work as expected at 20 and 15 years respectively. I retired at age 54. Now 20 years later and after putting two kids through UC, savings and investments equal the day I retired. I could have retired sooner.

Or I could have kept working til now to afford frequent trading in cars that I had gained no equity in. I like my way better. YMMV.

I'm not bored, I'm playing Gentleman Farmer on my hobby farm. The tractors are toys, the two cars are only transportation to go home to ranch. If a Bolt could carry the cargo that either of these little wagons does, then I would already have a Bolt. My present thinking is to wait and buy a Model Y. Maybe a Bolt then the Y if either present car should fail before Model Y is being sold. And pay cash.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
About this Discussion
11 Replies
8 Participants
California
Chevy Bolt EV Forum
We’re the Largest Chevy Bolt EV Online Community and Owner's Club. Join to discuss sport mode, reviews, battery range and charging!
Full Forum Listing