Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Good evening everyone. Well, we had our appointment with the Columbus OH Chevy dealership. It's been a long long long long day, but we're home and our trip is complete. I'm happy to say that we came to an agreement, and signed on to Bolt ownership. As the dealership was 135 miles away, this also included a pretty good drive to get a solid feel for our new transportation pod. The Nissan had it's very real plusses. Pro Pilot Assist was a very nice thing to have. What Chevy calls lane keep assist - well, the thought is nice I guess. I won't care if it's ever "engaged" or not. Aside from this, We can find little to fault for our new ride. The seats are much better for him, and are plenty comfortable enough for me, maybe not quite as good as the LEAF, but not enough so to matter in the long run once I get the seat "set" to my body. Power is really nice, and efficiency - this car blows the LEAF far out of the water. We did briefly on a couple of occasions saw 5.0 mi/KW on the cluster on our drive home, with it settling at 4.9 mi/KW - an amazing show in 90 plus degree temps with the climate control on full blast. At some point I'm going to need to do a video clip detailing our car for my channel. But, enough with the blathering and keeping people waiting - the pics, because as the saying goes - pics or it didn't happen. Oh, and we LOVE the eye popping blue. The color is defnitely a standout in the myopic greyscale roads we plod along these days.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Love that color and welcome to the group. Hope you recover from prolonged negotiations and the ride home
Gotta love domestic dealerships. They of course had their magic markups. I called them all out, and complained about the lowball on the LEAF, and this was their one and done offer. I pretty much dismissed it and told them that their numbers simply weren't going to work in any way shape or form, and that we wanted our fob back so we could go back home. All of a sudden, they were in the mood to start moving on price. They dropped their pricey magic sauce protection package and moved sufficiently enough on the trade to get us where we wanted on the car. We used my GM card rewards to get the price down a little more, and came out on top with little budging on our requirements to buy.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Congratulations! That's one of my favorite colors!

Yes, I think the LEAF seats might just be the most comfortable seats of any EV I've sat in. Also, yes, the efficiency on the Bolt EV is deceptively good. Within about 10% to 15% of the Tesla Model 3, even at freeway speeds, which is crazy. I think the Hyundai Kona Electric might edge it out a bit on efficiency, but they're both electron misers.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Congratulations! That's one of my favorite colors!

Yes, I think the LEAF seats might just be the most comfortable seats of any EV I've sat in. Also, yes, the efficiency on the Bolt EV is deceptively good. Within about 10% to 15% of the Tesla Model 3, even at freeway speeds, which is crazy. I think the Hyundai Kona Electric might edge it out a bit on efficiency, but they're both electron misers.
Thanks. Your channel has been my main source of info on the Bolt. I watched GM through the process of developing the car, and it was on my short list from day one. Still, last year the Bolt just didn't have the incentives and the LEAF was substantially cheaper. Lesson learned. The LEAF is fine for a regional car, and nothing more. There is the very real chance that we will be taking our Bolt to Modesto next spring for my Cousin's wedding next spring, if their plans don't get changed by plague. Our LEAF threw up the surrender flag on a trip that really shouldn't have taxed the car the way it did. I have no qualms the Bolt will be up to the task of a multi day trip. The EV infrastructure? That's a whole other conversation.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
Thanks. Your channel has been my main source of info on the Bolt. I watched GM through the process of developing the car, and it was on my short list from day one. Still, last year the Bolt just didn't have the incentives and the LEAF was substantially cheaper. Lesson learned. The LEAF is fine for a regional car, and nothing more. There is the very real chance that we will be taking our Bolt to Modesto next spring for my Cousin's wedding next spring, if their plans don't get changed by plague. Our LEAF threw up the surrender flag on a trip that really shouldn't have taxed the car the way it did. I have no qualms the Bolt will be up to the task of a multi day trip. The EV infrastructure? That's a whole other conversation.
Thanks!

Yes, the LEAF is great until you need to drive more than 400 miles in a day. I really wish Nissan could have figured out some sort of thermal management system for the e-Plus.

The infrastructure is definitely getting better. Someone left a comment on my channel recently that they ran into an Electrify America site that was entirely down. We really can't afford that to happen because their sites really are a single point of failure for most cross country corridors at this point. I'm hoping that in the next year or so we see another public charging provider focusing on travel corridors to help shore up the Electrify America network and provide some additional options.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Congrats on the new Bolt. What year was the Leaf you traded? Mine was a 2019 and the seats and interior on it were far better than what is in the Bolt.

And also congrats on your negotiations. So far the negotiations with the dealer were the worst part of the car. I wrote a long post about the arduous process on the forum, mainly as a way to cement into my mind everything that I had to go through. Hopefully I can use it as a learning experience. I also sat my wife and kids down and made them listen to me detail the whole ordeal and the games they play. I wanted them to have an idea of the ridiculous stuff some dealers put you through. I still get a little riled up when I think about it.

I've had the car in for service once, which was a rear axle replacement. The service department was great.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Congrats on the new Bolt. What year was the Leaf you traded? Mine was a 2019 and the seats and interior on it were far better than what is in the Bolt.

And also congrats on your negotiations. So far the negotiations with the dealer were the worst part of the car. I wrote a long post about the arduous process on the forum, mainly as a way to cement into my mind everything that I had to go through. Hopefully I can use it as a learning experience. I also sat my wife and kids down and made them listen to me detail the whole ordeal and the games they play. I wanted them to have an idea of the ridiculous stuff some dealers put you through. I still get a little riled up when I think about it.

I've had the car in for service once, which was a rear axle replacement. The service department was great.
LOL ours was the 2019 SL Plus. I'll miss it, but not miss the issues caused by the air cooled battery. Had Nissan stepped up to the plate with liquid cooling, we wouldn't have made the jump. I was fully satisfied with the car outside of its failure to be up to a multi day trip. I'll give the nod to the seats in the Nissan. Still, I didn't feel unduly uncomfortable in our drive home. My Partner actually prefers the seats in the Bolt over the LEAF. Me, they're acceptable. I have a bad back and I had no twisting. If I'm not doing that in a seat, I can run fine. I just expect at some point the wallet will come out of my pocket and get relocated as I felt it as a pressure point. I do that in my other vehicles as well, so that's not just a Bolt thing.

·
Registered
97 Posts
LOL ours was the 2019 SL Plus. I'll miss it, but not miss the issues caused by the air cooled battery. Had Nissan stepped up to the plate with liquid cooling, we wouldn't have made the jump. I was fully satisfied with the car outside of its failure to be up to a multi day trip. I'll give the nod to the seats in the Nissan. Still, I didn't feel unduly uncomfortable in our drive home. My Partner actually prefers the seats in the Bolt over the LEAF. Me, they're acceptable. I have a bad back and I had no twisting. If I'm not doing that in a seat, I can run fine. I just expect at some point the wallet will come out of my pocket and get relocated as I felt it as a pressure point. I do that in my other vehicles as well, so that's not just a Bolt thing.
My main gripe about the seats in the Bolt is lack of lumbar support, and there's no adjustment to try and make it any better. If I ever went on a long trip I'd probably have to bring something to wedge between my lower back and the seat. I'm not a big guy, and other than that I find them just fine.

The lack of thermal management of the battery is what made me give up on the Leaf. If Nissan had that, we'd probably still own the car. I describe the 2019 Leaf as a great car with a not so great battery. I describe the Bolt as a good car with a great battery.

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I almost bought the Leaf earlier in 2019... the lack of BMS was a deal breaker.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts

·
Registered
2,048 Posts
I stand corrected, OK, liquid cooling.

Reactions: Wolfy

·
Registered
83 Posts
Congratulations on the car (and for picking the color that most clearly marks it out as a 2020 MY!)

You couldn't have picked a better week to move on from the Leaf, with all due respect for its place in EV adoption. CHAdeMO is going to be on the minds of anyone looking at the Leaf now and it's increasingly a comfort to have that CCS socket when we open the charge door.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Yes, congratulations and welcome to the forum! Love that blue color! The electric blue is nice too. I liked the orange. But white was all they had with CCS, and white looks clean even when it's dirty.😄 I picked the Bolt over the Leaf because of the superior visibility from the cabin, and the easy ingress/egress. And most importantly, black was the only interior color in the Leaf.🙄

1 - 16 of 16 Posts