Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After just a week with Bolt in Premier form with all option packages, I must say this car has exceeded my expectations. Likes -- The incredibly powerful regen in L mode (with even more from paddle) is awesome, one pedal driving is a pure delight and seems totally natural after just a few minutes. The room inside for such a small car on the outside, excellent! The car is so quiet, rattle free, such a serene driving experience. Quickness at all speeds, unbelievable, this coming from a 2012 Leaf owner. USB ports for back seats and 4G wireless hotspot (lifechanging says my 11 yr. old). Not only quick, but nimble and solid, feel totally safe in it. Auto high beams great for night driving, they work really well. Apple Carplay just works and it looks great on the big screen. Last but certainly not least, the range, again, from a Leaf owner, wow! The meter's been reading 270 miles, with over 300 max; haven't done all highway roadtrip yet but I'm optimistic...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
^ sweet!

Glad you're enjoying the Bolt.

I was on the fence regarding LT or Premier.... but I finally decided on the Premier trim with DCII package and I'm exceeding glad I did that.
IMO the safety and convenience features are well worth the extra $$ upfront.

I actually appreciate the Bolt more and more every time I drive it... GM did an awesome job on the Bolt!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
welcome - it's a great car - once you go Electric you can't go back!
That's true ... if a person has used an electrified vehicle and didn't hate it, chances are he/she'll be coming back for more. But also in a few short years there may be no much back left to go to.

We may be witnessing the a new industrial revolution, of which the electric car is only a small component.

·
Registered
544 Posts
That's true ... if a person has used an electrified vehicle and didn't hate it, chances are he/she'll be coming back for more. But also in a few short years there may be no much back left to go to.

We may be witnessing the a new industrial revolution, of which the electric car is only a small component of.
Yeah, it is happening :)

·
Registered
70 Posts
We may be witnessing the a new industrial revolution, of which the electric car is only a small component.
Not quite done with the Information Age yet, but as soon as battery technology makes a jump I think your right Electrical transportation is the future.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Not quite done with the Information Age yet, but as soon as battery technology makes a jump I think your right Electrical transportation is the future.
It is already happening. The guy that created the Li-ion battery is at it again with a new development that if it is true and works out could make ICE cars obsolete overnight. The conservative estimates put it at 3 times the energy density of Li-ion batteries (so our 60kWh battery becomes a 180kwH battery) will charges in minutes instead of hours, can maintain current without degradation at a much broader temperature range, can be go through more full discharge/charge cycles, uses much more readily available materials thus will be far cheaper, will be lighter and is less toxic to the environment.

https://news.utexas.edu/2017/02/28/goodenough-introduces-new-battery-technology

I've even some other research off his that say with the proper material and framework you could achieve 10 times the energy density as Li-ion batteries. That would mean our 60kWh batteries become 600kWh batteries and we have ranges in the 2300 mile area per charge. Which could still be charged in minutes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I've owned my 2017 Volt for less than a year and am just amazed at the difference in the experience in driving coming from a 12 year old ICE vehicle. I've been reading the experiences of new Bolt owners and how their expectations are generally exceeded. I'm starting to think EV cars are starting to feel a bit, albeit much, much more expensive, like cellphones in that the technology is changing so rapidly you want to trade up every few years to keep pace. I generally keep my cars 12 to 15 years, but won't make it that long in this environment. The difference in the driving experience between a 1990 and 1997 car isn't that great. The difference between an EV, Tesla, Chevy or any other, made in 2016 vs. 2023 will be significant if not massive.

This past week I had a long drive, in stupid heavy traffic in LA during peak rush, and I really enjoyed ACC (only had to switch it off for an aggressive tailgater, she was about 2 feet off my rear bumper for at least a few miles or so and it wasn't comfortable/safe) and have become accustomed to it such that purchasing a new car without it seems like a backward step. I only hope that GM adds this to the Bolt in the near future.

Congrats to all those enjoying their new Bolts!

·
Registered
69 Posts
Difference between 2008 to 2017

I've owned my 2017 Volt for less than a year and am just amazed at the difference in the experience in driving coming from a 12 year old ICE vehicle. I've been reading the experiences of new Bolt owners and how their expectations are generally exceeded. I'm starting to think EV cars are starting to feel a bit, albeit much, much more expensive, like cellphones in that the technology is changing so rapidly you want to trade up every few years to keep pace. I generally keep my cars 12 to 15 years, but won't make it that long in this environment. The difference in the driving experience between a 1990 and 1997 car isn't that great. The difference between an EV, Tesla, Chevy or any other, made in 2016 vs. 2023 will be significant if not massive.

This past week I had a long drive, in stupid heavy traffic in LA during peak rush, and I really enjoyed ACC (only had to switch it off for an aggressive tailgater, she was about 2 feet off my rear bumper for at least a few miles or so and it wasn't comfortable/safe) and have become accustomed to it such that purchasing a new car without it seems like a backward step. I only hope that GM adds this to the Bolt in the near future.

Congrats to all those enjoying their new Bolts!

I bought my Bolt on 5/20/17 and the new owner of my old Honda Element came to pick it up 3 days later. After driving my Bolt exclusively for those 3 days, I got in the old Honda to move it for the new owner. I immediately felt that the old car felt like something from the last century, noisy, lumbering, smelly, and not fun! The Bolt feels like something for a new age and that's what others who had ridden in it seem to think. Those that have ridden in the car not only seem impressed, but some are now reassessing their future vehicle purchases.

In short, if we want people to find out about driving electric, TAKE THEM FOR A DRIVE.
When people experience driving electric, they usually come away impressed. :D

Reactions: DaV8or and hodad66

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Unfortunately, there are some 'Gassholes' who proclaim to actually prefer "smelly, noisy, lumbering, etc.." over silent, powerful electric propulsion.
It's a shame... but until gasoline is no longer available (or oil is $2,000 a barrel) ... some will still drive ICE vehicles "for the thrill of it" :rolleyes:

·
Registered
121 Posts
I bought my Bolt on 5/20/17 and the new owner of my old Honda Element came to pick it up 3 days later. After driving my Bolt exclusively for those 3 days, I got in the old Honda to move it for the new owner. I immediately felt that the old car felt like something from the last century, noisy, lumbering, smelly, and not fun! The Bolt feels like something for a new age and that's what others who had ridden in it seem to think. Those that have ridden in the car not only seem impressed, but some are now reassessing their future vehicle purchases.

In short, if we want people to find out about driving electric, TAKE THEM FOR A DRIVE.
When people experience driving electric, they usually come away impressed. :D
I too switched from a Honda Element to the Bolt! Definitely felt the same way driving the Element again after the Bolt. Will miss the space though.

·
Registered
1,031 Posts
Unfortunately, there are some 'Gassholes' who proclaim to actually prefer "smelly, noisy, lumbering, etc.." over silent, powerful electric propulsion.
It's a shame... but until gasoline is no longer available (or oil is $2,000 a barrel) ... some will still drive ICE vehicles "for the thrill of it" :rolleyes:
At this point, the only ICE vehicles that'll interest me with the smelly noisy loudness are those of the muscle car era. Other than that, EVs are all the win !!

·
Registered
544 Posts
I too switched from a Honda Element to the Bolt! Definitely felt the same way driving the Element again after the Bolt. Will miss the space though.
I just drove my wifes minivan over this past weekend for the first time since I got my Bolt at the end of February. I hated driving it, it felt so old and wrong. I knew I would prefer the Bolt to her minivan, but I was a little surprised how massive the difference was.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I came to be sold on the Bolt after putting 40K miles in 3 years on an electric motorcycle.

Whenever I get on my ICE bike (which I keep for long trips), I'm dismayed:

Why is this thing trying to shake itself apart between my legs?
Why is it still running when I come to a stoplight?
Why are my thighs and calves so hot from the motor?
Why do I have to find the friction zone when doing hole shots and risk stalling the engine?
Why do I have to shift?
Why is my left hand cramping from holding the clutch in at intersections with super-long lights?
Why is refueling so smelly?
Why is there no torque (848 cc engine!) until the revs climb into scream territory?
Why is maintenance such a chore?

·
Registered
12 Posts
one Thing I love about the bolt and am still amazed every time it happens, when in L mode how you can’t feel the “grab” at the end of the stop. Like in ICE vehicles no matter how soft you brake you can always feel that ever so slight jerk when the pads completely stop the rotors and forward movement is completely stopped. In the Bolt you literally go from a feeling of moving to just floating there. I feel no jerk whatsoever at the end of the stop. It amazes me every time how smooth it is. Love one pedal driving

·
Registered
536 Posts
The fun thing about driving a Bolt EV on L Mode is that the it feels very "linear". Press the pedal, it goes as fast as you want immediately and smoothly. Back off the pedal, it'll slow down just as well, all the way to a full stop. It's like a simple computer simulation, yet I feel this is how things should have been for all the cars in the first place. That's why it's so hard to go back to an ICE vehicle.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Welcome! I am brand new to the Bolt as well and just love it. I am also coming from a Leaf (2011) and am just blown away that I was able to take a 120 mile trip a couple of days ago and still have over 1/2 charge left. We also now have the advantage of a battery that has thermal management and should degrade much slower. This was a huge factor for me in steering away from the 2018 Leaf.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
The fun thing about driving a Bolt EV on L Mode is that the it feels very "linear". Press the pedal, it goes as fast as you want immediately and smoothly. Back off the pedal, it'll slow down just as well, all the way to a full stop. It's like a simple computer simulation, yet I feel this is how things should have been for all the cars in the first place. That's why it's so hard to go back to an ICE vehicle.
For true; once having experienced one-pedal driving around town, all ICE cars are antiques. It's almost as difficult to go back to two-pedals as it is when I get into my 1955 Studebaker pickup with three pedals and a gear shift lever.

jack vines

1 - 20 of 21 Posts