Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anytime I've purchased a new vehicle, I always hate finding empty buttons that don't do anything as it reminds me that I was too cheap to purchase the 'fully loaded' model. I've purchased (yet to receive) a fully loaded Bolt Premier and every fully loaded Bolt Premier I've seen, these three buttons are empty. And worse off, they seem to sit there, stare at me say "hey cheapo, what option didn't you buy?" Lol. :D

Anyone know what these three buttons are for?

·
Registered
21 Posts
They are placeholders for the European version (Ampera-e). Look up the interior pics for the Opel Ampera-e and you can see the buttons are used. I think there are restrictions on what can be on the steering wheel on other countries so some of the functions are moved to the center stack.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They are placeholders for the European version (Ampera-e). Look up the interior pics for the Opel Ampera-e and you can see the buttons are used. I think there are restrictions on what can be on the steering wheel on other countries so some of the functions are moved to the center stack.
Awesome - thanks for the info guys. Here's a pic of the Ampera-e :

·
Registered
12 Posts
They're for things that weren't allowed on the steering wheel in Europe and had to be moved off.

I can tell you what they SHOULD be used for in the US, Homelink. *snarl* WTF GM?

·
Super Moderator
787 Posts
Homelink compatible 3-button remotes can be had for less than $30. Ones that go on a keychain or clip to a visor. I get why people are annoyed that it's not included, but it's such a minor issue in the grand scheme of things.

·
Registered
150 Posts
It looks like one button is for lane departure assist and the other one is a Parking sensor of some sort? Does the Ampera E have Self Parallel park?

Maybe they are pulling up features that we have in menus on the centre display?

·
Registered
12 Posts
It looks like one button is for lane departure assist and the other one is a Parking sensor of some sort? Does the Ampera E have Self Parallel park?

Maybe they are pulling up features that we have in menus on the centre display?
I saw in another video it was mentioned that they are to move things off the steering wheel that were not allowed there. the parking one is the rear park assist button, per another post on the forum from the manual:

Parking Assist
If equipped with Rear Parking Assist (RPA), as the vehicle moves at speeds of less than 8 km/h (5 mph) the sensors on the bumpers may detect objects up to 2.3 m (7.5 ft) behind the vehicle within a zone of 25 cm (10 in) high off the ground and below bumper level. These detection distances may be shorter during warmer or humid weather. Blocked sensors will not detect objects and can also cause false detections. Keep the sensors clean of mud, dirt, snow, ice, and slush; and clean sensors after a car wash in freezing temperatures.

Warning
The Parking Assist system does not detect children, pedestrians, bicyclists, animals, or objects located below the bumper or that are too close or too far from the vehicle. It is not available at speeds greater than 8 km/h (5 mph). To prevent injury, death, or vehicle damage, even with parking assist, always check the area around the vehicle and check all mirrors before moving forward or backing.

The instrument cluster may have a Parking Assist display with bars that show “distance to object” and object location information for RPA. As the object gets closer, more bars light up and the bars change color from yellow to amber to red. When an object is first detected in the rear, one beep will be heard from the rear. When an object is very close, <0.6 m (2 ft) in the vehicle rear, five beeps will sound from the rear depending on object location.

·
Registered
604 Posts
Anytime I've purchased a new vehicle, I always hate finding empty buttons that don't do anything as it reminds me that I was too cheap to purchase the 'fully loaded' model. I've purchased (yet to receive) a fully loaded Bolt Premier and every fully loaded Bolt Premier I've seen, these three buttons are empty. And worse off, they seem to sit there, stare at me say "hey cheapo, what option didn't you buy?" Lol. :D

You guessed it........they're there just to aggravate you! :D

·
Registered
1,640 Posts
Great question. I checked with my secret contacts at GM and here's the untold story.

The first button is “remote driver assist”. This feature uses on-star to allow an on-star operator to drive your car for you if you are too busy eating a bagel and taking phone calls. It's an alternative to self-driving features, leveraging the power of the on-star operator network.

The second button is the auto-smog system. This causes the car to emit brown smog from a specially installed tailpipe system. This will allow the Bolt to disguise itself as an ICE car. It has three settings. In the maximum smog mode, anyone trying to chase the Bolt will be unable to find it in the clouds of smoke emitted.

The third button is enhanced external audio. This mode uses the pedestrian alert speaker to emit loud “brooom brooom” sounds, at up to 100 db. This is useful when combined with the auto-smog system to have the Bolt “blend in” with other cars.

(Unfortunately, all of these features are on hold as they await regulatory approval.)

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
Dang. No Trunk Monkey. :(
I too have some secret contacts at GM and let me tell you: Trunk Monkey is the ultimate reason for the 3 additional features. Behold:

1. OnStar takes over while you cower from the sight of Trunk Monkey's rage.
2. Fog Of War (literally) is emitted to provide cover to Trunk Monkey.
3. Loud broom-broom awakens Trunk Monkey with 100 dB of rage motivation.

Unfortunately, it's like @Vertiformed stated, regulatory authorities are taking forever.

Be patient.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I wonder if I could purchase switches somewhere/somehow to put in place of the blanks. I like the idea of a V2G button for running my house when the power goes out!

·
Registered
624 Posts
Almost a fit:

I measure the Bolt's blank buttons as about 24mm tall x 22mm wide, and from the side view this sure looks like it could be trimmed to fit into two blanks horizontally.

Anyone know how to remove the blanks for detailed measurements of the space?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts