Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
21 - 40 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,500 Posts
... and US made, EVSE.
But is it really? :unsure:
Who knows where the sockets inside the charge handle are made.
And do they actually assemble the charge handle/cord in house?
Or buy a container full from [mod edit]China?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Or buy a container full from ghina?
I think the Volt EVSE was using the same components as Clipper-Creek. Or vice-versa. Now, you tell me if [mod edit]China is in the picture.

·
Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,239 Posts
Or buy a container full from [mod edit]China?
I have to believe since they state it's made in the USA, that it's more US made than an EVSE made in China. That's the best I can do. Like the Bolt, it's assembled in the US but has some foreign components.

Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the good.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think the Volt EVSE was using the same components as Clipper-Creek. Now, you tell me if [mod edit]China is in the picture.
Sorry, I only ask the questions. I can't answer them.... :p :cautious:

Only someone deep in the bowels of the Clipper-Creek receiving department knows where the parts come from. Or someone from the parent company now.:rolleyes:

Are you implying that gm does not source components from [mod edit]China? (I like that better!)

·
Registered
2023 Bolt EUV
139 Posts
I have a Juicebox 40. My utility company was offering a $250 rebate so I just went ahead and bought it even though I didn't yet have an EV. At the time I was still deciding what I would buy but I knew for sure it would be an EV.

I purchased the 14-50 outlet and 50 amp breaker and hung the Juicebox and mounted the electrical box myself. I know a retired electrician and he wired the outlet and installed the breaker for me. Total installation cost with parts was under $150.

I like my Juicebox, but had I known for sure I was getting a Bolt and that it included a charger and free installation, I would not have purchased it. The Juicebox has great smart features, but I don't use them since the Bolt has all the built-in charging options I need. At 40 amps the Juicebox does charge faster than the OEM charger, but I really don't need the extra speed since it charges every night while I sleep.

The only real advantage in buying another EVSE is you can leave the OEM charger in your car if you have the need to charge remotely.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt 2LT ice blue metallic; 2011 Chevy Volt premier diamond white;
150 Posts
Clipper Creek LCS-50 after Qmerit plug install. I have had Clipper Creek products for over 10 years on my wife's 2011 Volt, rock solid stuff and the new unit is proving to be the same so far.

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Sorry, I only ask the questions. I can't answer them.... :p :cautious:

Only someone deep in the bowels of the Clipper-Creek receiving department knows where the parts come from. Or someone from the parent company now.:rolleyes:

Are you implying that gm does not source components from [mod edit]China? (I like that better!)
It says right on the cord anyway, Made in USA. So CC says the EVSE is made in the USA, and at least now we know that the cord itself is too. I'll bet Chinese EVSEs don't use Made in USA cords.

Wheel Tire Automotive tire Product Bicycle tire

·
Registered
71 Posts
My daily commute to work is 32 mi. roundtrip. I was going to put a 240V EVSE, but never got around to it and haven't needed it. Normally just charge the car to 70% or 80%
If I'm going on a longer trip, I just charge to 100% over a few days prior.

·
Registered
13 Posts

·
Registered
335 Posts
So we just got our 2023 EUV last week and just started the process to get the 220 outlet installed. Are people using the supplied 220 charge cord supplied with the car or are you buying a charging station and using that?

Our utility company has 250.00 rebate program and I am wondering if we should take advantage of the offer or just use the supplied charge cord?

We keep two '19 Bolts charged with a 30A 240V circuit made from a 120V 3 way garage light converted to a welding circuit, using an adapter and the factory cable. Never a problem, though we use each car about 6k miles a year. We're in Cleveland, with about 5 months of chilly to cold weather a year not good for convertibles or sailboats. Cars always parked outside because garage is filled with gardening and other stuff.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Siemens Versicharge 30Amp. I know a lot of people have had issues with this but in the five years I've been using it, it's needed to be reset (unplugged/plugged in ) like 5 times. It was on the low end of cost when I bought it and it was $500 for installation (probably 25 ft of wire, a breaker, a wall socket). I was commuting at the time and there was no way to make that work with the 110 charger. I'm retired now and could probably get by with 110, but would not like to do so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just installed last week for my new 2023 EUV. Grizzl-e Classic running 240vac at 40 amps for 9.6kw. Note that the OEM charger was working just fine, but I decided to take the QMerit money for install and upgrade to a unit that could do 40 amps. It's overkill in my case, but now I'm futureproofed. I'll keep the OEM charger in the car for emergencies whenever.

PS: I wish my garage was orderly and clean like the rest of you guys, but there's just too much football on tv right now and those games won't watch themselves. :ROFLMAO:

Wood Electrical wiring Audio equipment Electricity Gas

·
Registered
2,239 Posts
Just installed last week for my new 2023 EUV. Grizzl-e Classic running 240vac at 40 amps for 9.6kw. Note that the OEM charger was working just fine, but I decided to take the QMerit money for install and upgrade to a unit that could do 40 amps. It's overkill in my case, but now I'm futureproofed. I'll keep the OEM charger in the car for emergencies whenever.

PS: I wish my garage was orderly and clean like the rest of you guys, but there's just too much football on tv right now and those games won't watch themselves. :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 49984
I would definitely consider a, Made in Canada Grizzl-e, if we ever need a new EVSE.

Reactions: Martin D

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have a YKS-ESNES 240v evse I found on Ebay for $83. It's selectible from 6 to 16 amps. Works great as I am limited to 20 amps. I use a adapter to combine two seperate 120v plugs into one 240v. Only 3.8 kw max, but can fill battery overnight.

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
I think what KennesawTom was talking about was a 'connect at the meter' EV charger like the one made in partnership between ConnectDER and Siemens:

Siemens' new home EV charger adapter ends need for electrical panel upgrades

Pretty sure it's not allowed in Canada yet, and not everywhere in the USA either:

Order Meter Collars - ConnectDER
Interesting, but TLDR...
I don't understand. If I have a 100A main panel and plug in one of these gizmos at the meter,
the wires coming from the transformer out on the pole at the property line are fine with adding another ~50 Amp draw?
And I suppose this thing has it's own circuit breaker ?

·
Registered
172 Posts
I used a hardwired Juicebox 48. Had to upgrade to a 200amp panel first, which was expensive. But I will count that as a home improvement. The Juicebox can charge at 11.5kw which matches the Bolt EUV. I installed mine outdoors, so it will get interesting once the snow starts

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV LT
3 Posts
Chargepoint Flex at 48 amps. Qmerit did the install (completely paid for) and my local electric utility had a $500 rebate for the EVSE which made it a no brainer. Electrician was nice enough to install a 60 amp circuit since he had one and my panel (200amp) could support it.

21 - 40 of 103 Posts