Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
41 - 60 of 103 Posts

·
Registered
431 Posts
So we just got our 2023 EUV last week and just started the process to get the 220 outlet installed. Are people using the supplied 220 charge cord supplied with the car or are you buying a charging station and using that?

Our utility company has 250.00 rebate program and I am wondering if we should take advantage of the offer or just use the supplied charge cord?

It’s to a great extent about what are your pattern of driving it’s going to be.
and what charging options you might have outside your home/garage.
(A charger at work that’s free?)
We considered installing 240 volt in our garage to enable level to charging.
But it turned out that we're perfectly functional with 120 V slow charging. That’s because we rarely drive more than 80 miles per day; and down the few occasions we do more it’s no big deal if we come home down to 10% if we can only put back 100 miles of range in 24 hours of charging. In 10 years of driving electric there were maybe three days when it would’ve been really nice to have a faster charger in the garage.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EV LT1
24 Posts
So we just got our 2023 EUV last week and just started the process to get the 220 outlet installed. Are people using the supplied 220 charge cord supplied with the car or are you buying a charging station and using that?
/QUOTE]

The EVSE supplied with my 22 Bolt EV was a wimpy level 1 device. I used it once to prove it works then stuffed it into the trunk.

I have an Emporia EVSE, hardwired and capable of 48 amps. It works very well.

·
Registered
143 Posts

Our utility company has 250.00 rebate program and I am wondering if we should take advantage of the offer or just use the supplied charge cord?

I am using the 110V 12A setup as I do not drive too far. Mostly local. So works very well for me. Good Luck with the new car.

·
Registered
2022 Bolt EUV Premier
526 Posts

This is a very frequent topic. I recommend the "dumb" Grizzl-E or a Clipper Creek. Both can be found on the UL listing database. A lot of chargers are made by other companies or sold under different names. You can email them and ask for their UL certs and find out who actually made the chargers, but why not go with a company that makes their own and is Canadian or American, respectively ?

I spent quite a bit of time researching this myself after seeing the warnings on these forums about Mustarts. With the Bolt's "smart" features contained within the car, I didn't feel the need to purchase a "smart" charger to control charging times or monitor current since the Bolt does that already. I sound far older than I am when I say this but "just more things to break". Plus another IOT WiFi device on my home network is just one more security risk since they're notoriously unsecure.

Of the "dumb"/reliable chargers out there, it seems like it comes down to two very well regarded choices:

Available as either hardwired or with a plug.​
Reliability noted in excellent reviews​
Excellent customer service​
Most commonly 32A or 40A . Also has a 48A version but doesn't have a NEMA 14-50 plug on it.​
Charging cable conveniently hangs on unit​
Made in America​
$622 as of this post​
Sells with a 14-50 plug but hardwire instructions included​
Selectable between 16A, 24A, 32A, or 40A with dipswitches​
Reliability noted in excellent reviews​
Good customer service​
Made in Canada​
$459 as of this post​

Lastly, kinda niche, but I think of note:
Fascinating kit of easily replaceable components if interested in putting one together yourself and seeing how it works.

I chose the Grizzl-E because it's almost $200 cheaper, was prime eligible, and seems to provide the same charging capability/reliability. Personally both of those countries of origin are acceptable to me and I consider myself to be a proud American who promotes individual freedoms.

The Grizzl-E is mounted just inside my garage but I park my EUV outside, so I used 1-Channel Rubber Cable Protector Ramps Heavy Duty under the garage door to protect the cable and a generic EV Charger Holder SAE J1772 outside to hold the charging handle and spool the cable on. I put some 303 Aerospace Protectant on because why not...

Very happy with the setup and really convenient to wake up with a full tank of gas. haha.
Plant Road surface Automotive tire Brick Wood

Automotive tire Plant Saw Wood Electrical wiring

Stairs Road surface Rectangle Wood Grey

·
Registered
323 Posts
The manufacturers need to make the car capable of allowing the user to control the amps you can give the car. And if your not going to do that then at least provide a evse that can adjust the amps so users can use dryer plugs etc.
How often are you going to charge your car and this isn't priority.
That is a big negative with the evse that comes with the bolt.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I think the Volt EVSE was using the same components as Clipper-Creek.
People familiar with both GM and Clipper Creek say that the internals of the 2017-2021 Bolt OEM EVSE are very closely related to Clipper Creek.

I have a 2020 Bolt EV, and I have three EVSE.

(1) Grizzl-E dumb unit, set to 40 amps, and the car keeps it at 32 amps, 7.7 kW. Wiring for the NEMA 14-50 in the garage was so easy that my contractor didn't even charge for it because he had all the parts in his truck.

He delivered a caution, however: There's a wide range of NEMA 14-50 available, most of which seem relatively cheap and it's tempting to save money.

However, most of these are not designed for long duty cycles that might be associated with EV charging. Don't skimp on the price of the 14-50, IMHO.

Although he had heavy wiring with him, he only had a 40 amp breaker, and if I buy a different car I'll open the Grizzl-E and make sure it's set to 32 amps. That's enough unless I do something dumb like get a Hummer or something. (Very unlikely.)

(2)I ran across a 2022-2023 Bolt EUV dual voltage charger and picked that up at a good price. Its delivers 32 amps, and I think that the 7.7 kW it provides you should be enough for anybody even though your EUV can take 48 amps and 11.5 kW.

It's a high quality unit and I'm impressed with it. The handle is rubberised and you have the feeling from handling it that it will last a long time. The plugs need to be seated firmly into the housing to avoid an error message but once you understand this, it's not a problem.

I like this a lot. However, since it's intended to be a portable EVSE, you will need to think about a wall mount for it if this is your permanent EVSE, and you might want to think about a holster, because the handle does not include a cover for the terminals.

Both these things are available on Amazon for very little money, and for most of us this is just enough.

(3)Because my car is a 2020, I still have the OEM 120 volt, 12 amp charger. I have a two plug solution that converts it to 240 volt, but of course it's still limited to 12 amps. I keep this in the car in case I need it, but it's only going to deliver 3 kW (indicated). Still, that's better than 120 volts, right? :)

IMHO, the best solution for the original poster is just to buy a cheap holster and cheap adjustable mount for the OEM EVSE housing, and stick with this.

Although it is only 32 amps, it is sturdy, high quality and won't tax the 14-50 if the contractor goes cheap. In my experience most of us use only about 50% of the Bolt's battery in one day, so the 7.7 kW provided at 32 amps is only going to take four hours to fully charge back the battery.

·
Registered
Premier, Yo, with every goodie!
2,500 Posts
....[adjustable amps on car or EVSE]
How often are you going to charge your car and this isn't priority.
That is a big negative with the evse that comes with the bolt.
Well, since you asked, Never.
Once an EVSE is installed, 16A, 24A, 32A, etc., you take 5 seconds to plug in when you get home
and forget about it!(y)

·
Registered
180 Posts
Automotive lighting Adapter Electricity Gas Motor vehicle

I have been using the Clipper Creek commercial model HCS-40 since I bought my 2020 Premier a little over 2 years ago. It is an awesome EVSE. The thing is built like a tank. It is a 32 amp machine, which is a fine size for my EV and for my soon to be delivered EUV.

I do think though that I would be tempted, if I were buying one today, to get either the 40 or 48 amp model for future proofing as those seem to be the charging speeds that make the most sense for the newer models of electric vehicles.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·

There's Sandy Munro going totally slam off about cheap NEMA 14-50 installations.

Not his best video, but he makes his point.
Wow that video was enlightening and scary at the same time. Seems we are using parts not really designed or rated for EV charging use? I viewed in on YouTube so I could read the comments. Someone suggested hardware wired EVSE might be the way to go to avoid potential failure at the wall plug? More to learn before we commit to install for sure.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
People familiar with both GM and Clipper Creek say that the internals of the 2017-2021 Bolt OEM EVSE are very closely related to Clipper Creek.

I have a 2020 Bolt EV, and I have three EVSE.

(1) Grizzl-E dumb unit, set to 40 amps, and the car keeps it at 32 amps, 7.7 kW. Wiring for the NEMA 14-50 in the garage was so easy that my contractor didn't even charge for it because he had all the parts in his truck.

He delivered a caution, however: There's a wide range of NEMA 14-50 available, most of which seem relatively cheap and it's tempting to save money.

However, most of these are not designed for long duty cycles that might be associated with EV charging. Don't skimp on the price of the 14-50, IMHO.

Although he had heavy wiring with him, he only had a 40 amp breaker, and if I buy a different car I'll open the Grizzl-E and make sure it's set to 32 amps. That's enough unless I do something dumb like get a Hummer or something. (Very unlikely.)

(2)I ran across a 2022-2023 Bolt EUV dual voltage charger and picked that up at a good price. Its delivers 32 amps, and I think that the 7.7 kW it provides you should be enough for anybody even though your EUV can take 48 amps and 11.5 kW.

It's a high quality unit and I'm impressed with it. The handle is rubberised and you have the feeling from handling it that it will last a long time. The plugs need to be seated firmly into the housing to avoid an error message but once you understand this, it's not a problem.

I like this a lot. However, since it's intended to be a portable EVSE, you will need to think about a wall mount for it if this is your permanent EVSE, and you might want to think about a holster, because the handle does not include a cover for the terminals.

Both these things are available on Amazon for very little money, and for most of us this is just enough.

(3)Because my car is a 2020, I still have the OEM 120 volt, 12 amp charger. I have a two plug solution that converts it to 240 volt, but of course it's still limited to 12 amps. I keep this in the car in case I need it, but it's only going to deliver 3 kW (indicated). Still, that's better than 120 volts, right? :)

IMHO, the best solution for the original poster is just to buy a cheap holster and cheap adjustable mount for the OEM EVSE housing, and stick with this.

Although it is only 32 amps, it is sturdy, high quality and won't tax the 14-50 if the contractor goes cheap. In my experience most of us use only about 50% of the Bolt's battery in one day, so the 7.7 kW provided at 32 amps is only going to take four hours to fully charge back the battery.
Thanks for this reply and video link to view. Definitely giving this install more thought now.
I wonder how the Phoenix hot summers come in to play while charging?
We won't be needing to charge everyday as we don't do everyday commute any longer. Most trips around Phoenix will be less than 100 miles.
I am thinking best to charge at slower rates to keep heat build up to a minimum?
How does the Bolts automatic cooling work while plugged in?

·
Registered
2023 EUV Premier Bright Blue
2,239 Posts
Like the battery and charging components and all the wire in the car?
Our 2023 EUV is listed as having around 60% US/Canadian content. I don't recall the exact number. Our 2021 Bolt was 65%.

Certainly the Bolt is more US made than an EV assembled in Korea or China.

41 - 60 of 103 Posts