Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering for those of you that have not put a spare in your trunk what you use for a kit. Are you storing a patch kit and a small inflator?

·
Registered
405 Posts
Hmmm... not much response. I keep fix-a-flat, an inflator and a plug kit in the car, but also have a spare tire that is always there too. I suppose the choice depends on where you drive and on your tolerance for relying on roadside assistance, which means getting towed to some place that can get you a new tire. I understand that the self-seal tires are not meant to be repaired and reused and shops won't do it, so you would need to get a new tire, and the OEM tires are not kept in stock most places.

·
Registered
651 Posts
I have the tire inflator kit that came with the car. I don't drive much so I'm OK with not having a spare tire.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
I understand that the self-seal tires are not meant to be repaired and reused
And here is the post for repairing and reusing ones Bolt OEM tire.

·
Registered
23 Posts
With 71 miles on my new Bolt, I had a bolt go through my RF tire on the local interstate. Click,click,click,click... Got to Discount Tire with 6 PSI remaining, thought I'd have to buy a new tire, as it didn't even try to "self seal."... Discount dismounted the tire, patched it from the inside out, remounted and balanced the repaired tire - all at no cost!!
Boo, heavy goo tires that don't seal.
Hooray for Discount Tire!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
No patch kit was provided with my Bolt. I'd just call the GM roadside assistance if I get a flat tire.

·
Registered
4,903 Posts
Wondering for those of you that have not put a spare in your trunk what you use for a kit. Are you storing a patch kit and a small inflator?
I have a spare, but I also bought a patch kit and my Canadian Bolt came with a can of goo and an inflator.

·
Registered
3,850 Posts
Boo, heavy goo tires that don't seal.
Works better after pulling out the offending object up to 1/4" diameter. This is why I carry a cheap 12V powered compressor for this occasion. A year and half ago, I got a nail and lost pressure to about 20 psi. Pulled out the nail and reinflated the tire and it has held since. Did this in a Wal-mart parking lot. Should mention that I carry a Leatherman with a set of pliers. Hard to pull some objects without pliers.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I might get the kit with Chevy points I earned. Or just use the tried and true small plug in air pump and a tire plug kit.

·
Registered
2018 Bolt EV Premier Nightfall Gray
618 Posts
Fix-a-Flat + portable inflator. If it needs a patch, Discount Tire (free with purchase of a new set of tires).

·
Registered
3,987 Posts
I value my time and money, so I carry a plug kit, pliers, and an inflator. Plug kit was maybe $2, inflator maybe $15.

I’ve plugged around 2 dozen tires over the years, including my Segway mini.

If I had free roadside assistance, I’d still rather create my own permanent fix in 5min and be on my way rather than wait for someone else to attend to it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts