Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wondering for those of you that have not put a spare in your trunk what you use for a kit. Are you storing a patch kit and a small inflator?

·
Registered
2019 bolt Lt
17 Posts
I,ve got the slime tubeless patch kit, the kind with gooey strings and 2 insert tools with t handles,a small needle nose vicegrip and a bike floor pump from Kragen that collapases and a small throw rug to lay on during patching, hopeing to be able to patch without removeing the wheel..It should wind-up being a permanent fix.I passed on the Chevy inflator due to no replacement canister available and general mistrust of liquid sealants on large punctures.I once inserted 4 strings into a motorcycle tire punctured by a stray wheel balance weight,had to reinflate every few miles but got home,worst puncture ever.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I,ve got the slime tubeless patch kit, the kind with gooey strings and 2 insert tools with t handles,a small needle nose vicegrip and a bike floor pump from Kragen that collapases
Have you ever tried pumping up a car tire from flat using a bike pump? I kept a bike pump in my car too, and I offered to help someone with a flat. Man! It takes a l-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-n-g time. After that I got an electric pump for emergencies. Still takes a while, but a heckuva lot less effort.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Probably nothing. I had my Corvette for a bit over 12 years and four different sets of run, flats with never a flat. Prior to that I had an '89 Probe GT that I had for 19 years with never a flat, running low profile performance tires, but did lose track of how many sets I went through in that time.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Floor MTB pump should be a lot better than a road bike pump. Or compact pump. I also have AAA. That is who brings me the jack and compressor.

·
Registered
2019 bolt Lt
17 Posts
Being of the self rescue camp(learned that from windsurfing),I like the old tried and true methods .I used to carry a mountain bike pump with my motorcycles, got room now for a full sized pump.I don,t expect more than a low pressure tire .I,ve seated tubeless tires using a hand pump and tire lube, with enough determination a lot can be accomplished with a little.

·
Registered
4,388 Posts
I,ve seated tubeless tires using a hand pump and tire lube, with enough determination a lot can be accomplished with a little.
I've always carried a spare tire and a pump, etc. Belt and suspenders. But the only time I've ever actually had to use a pump was on someone else's tire. If my own tire went flat I'd be motivated to work that pump, but after spending close to half an hour pumping up a stranger's tire I decided that an electric pump was the better part of valour...

·
Registered
43 Posts
I HATED the self-sealing tires that came with the car, and went with regular tires. But before then, I had decided against a spare: you need a jack, and a wheel/tire, and between the weight and the space, just not worth it. I purchased a compressor that connects to the battery (NOT to the cigarette lighter), a "Slime" brand tire plug kit to fix small holes and nail punctures, and a can of "Slime" brand tire sealer. The sealer is a last resort, as tire repair places HATE the stuff, and you could end up wrecking the tire pressure sensor even though many claim they are sensor safe). All in a small gym bag in the trunk. I'm at 36,000 miles with no flats so far.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Hea guys,
I put a little kit bag together for both EV's, one dosent have ride flats, get the tire slim kit, has a bad ass little compressor and a tire plug kit with a reamer, and a plunge tool, and a bunch of plugs. Spend the money and get the metal handles. I truly swear buy these. I got a sidewall slit on a jeep back in 09, and shoved the whole package of plugs in, and got home, and actually drove for a month, cause i wasnt in a situation to replace the tire...look into it, Also, put a mallet in there to help get the plugs in.

·
Registered
1,811 Posts
25 mile range... a possible replacement for the spare tire. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts