Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 22 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
273 Posts
I strongly recommend anyone relying on a plug kit that they practice on a junk tire to get the hang of it. Rainy cold night on side of road not the best idea for first time.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Hea guys,
I put a little kit bag together for both EV's, one dosent have ride flats, get the tire slim kit, has a bad ass little compressor and a tire plug kit with a reamer, and a plunge tool, and a bunch of plugs. Spend the money and get the metal handles. I truly swear buy these. I got a sidewall slit on a jeep back in 09, and shoved the whole package of plugs in, and got home, and actually drove for a month, cause i wasnt in a situation to replace the tire...look into it, Also, put a mallet in there to help get the plugs in.
You have a reamer and plug T-handle tool that is all-metal (one piece)? I’ve been using the plastic T-handle tools for 30 years without any problems, but sometimes (depending on the toughness of the tire), I have to put a LOT of pressure on that handle, and it makes me wonder if it’s possible for that vertical shaft to come right through that plastic handle and into (or even *through”) the palm of my hand!

OUCH!

I carry a couple of these plug kits, vice-grips, phillips & slotted screwdrivers, electric pump, and scissor jack. I do worry about the electric pump, as I’ve had them quit on me (at home, thankfully). Bought a compressor for the house and never use the car compressor anymore -just like the scissor jack ... both only used on the road in an emergency (now).

Never used AAA (or any roadside assistance). When I lose a tire, I want out of there as quickly as possible! Too dangerous on the Interstate, and too much exposure to dangerous, mentally-ill types the longer you linger (especially a woman).

21 - 22 of 22 Posts