Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For me a few things changed that I didn't expect

First I started to drive a lot more. Now I can take a 60 mile trip out to nature somewhere and it's effortless. I love going out, but previously wouldn't do it much because the gas car was so wearing (I'm rather noise sensitive)

Second I don't care much about autonomous driving anymore. I enjoy driving the Bolt, having the car drive itself doesn't excite me (my commute is five minutes so most of my driving is for pleasure anyhow). My wife used to ask when we'd buy our first new car and I always said "autonomous or electric, whichever comes first". What I found is that for me autonomous is more desirable when driving a gas car, not so much with electric.

Finally I found that in some way I am a 'car guy'. I always was interested in cars, watched Jay Leno's YouTube channel and such, but that combined with hating getting in the car. I've tried flying, sailing and RV'ing but never took to any of them, but electric driving? That's my thing and I didn't realize how much so.

·
Registered
739 Posts
I always enjoyed driving, but now I know what a real car feels like to drive. I never could justify buying any performance car before, now I can justify it, because it is green and there is lots of space in the back to carry stuff around. The defining characteristics of a performance car include that it is whisper silent, green, does not at all lean and roll on corners, and accelerates better than many cars on the road. Oh... yes, and it can do double duty as a golf cart.

·
Registered
158 Posts
For me it was the thought of not filling the tank every 3 days. At 160 miles a day I spend alot of time in the Bolt. I enjoy every minute driving this car. It reminds me of my old 85 prelude which I loved.

I wanted to go back to a hatchback which was more fun than a sedan. Padded interior...no thanks. I wore a hole in the soft padded door panel on my Camry in less than 2 years. Hard plastic is inexpensive and easy replacement. Easy to clean and maintain and practical.

The Bolt has a unique blend of practicality, driver interaction and great road manners that hit a sweet spot for EV adopters and ICE converts. Its not flashy and thats OK with me. Its not a Tesla and thats OK too.

When I want to drive in luxury I pull out my 2003 LS430 which for 14 years has never been to a mechanic for anything...and 200,000 miles to boot.

The Bolt now does 99% of the driving...while the other serves as back up and long distance.

I thought I would grow tiered of the Bolt over time but the more I drive it, the more I like it.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've found that I drive a bit more. I think it's a little bit more comfortable than my Golf TDI was and with the cameras, it's much more convenient to get into small spaces than any other vehicle I've driven. One foot driving also makes dealing with stop-and-go easy, and there's plenty of power when I need it on the highway.

·
Registered
5,334 Posts
Probably over 3/4 million miles between the two of us, in over forty years. I did every oil change, grease job, antifreeze change, radiator hoses, thermostats, plugs, plug wires, distributor caps and points back in the day, brakes, mufflers, batteries, bulbs, etc. The last cars were much lower maintenance...mostly just oil and filters, but I look forward to never doing any of that ever again.

·
Registered
70 Posts
What changed?

Ever since getting car sick as a little kid in the '30s I have had a strong dislike for automobiles. Of course they are necessary in this world as are credit cards. "If you can't pay cash you can't afford it" was the Maine family mantra. So, put up with the noisy, smelly, flat tire prone machines. Admittedly they were good for girlin' except for the time a tie rod broke on the old Model A and the front wheels looked at each other for a while. Why did so many friends love the darned things?

True confession, I love my Bolt! It is quiet, no petroleum smell, lots of safety items, fun bragging rights, near the beginning of a big reduction in the use of fossil fuels, and even fun to drive. It is a number lovers dream with all that data to work with. Add to these, all of the preceding comments and one is still far short of the full list of good things. May the Bolt's Kids and Grandkids have a long and successful run.

·
Registered
989 Posts
Coming from PHEV's, it's never going to the gas station again and never changing my oil again.
I've become accustom to quite mobility and enjoy everything about my Bolt.

I grin every time I drive it. It's the most comfortable car I've ever driven and as a tech,
I have driven a lot of cars over the 42 years of turning a wrench.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
I now have traded anxieties: gasoline anxiety from my 2017 Volt is now TRUE range anxiety. I haven't traveled beyond 150 miles/charge with my Bolt, but once I get to the bottom 3rd of the GOM, I start paying too much attention to it.

I also traded comforts: in the Volt, I had to minimize HVAC and leverage heated seats and steering wheel which didn't really matter much cause I couldn't see out my damned windows. With the Bolt, I just leave the HVAC at 72 and low fan on my feet only and magically, my windows are always clear and my feet toasty. Unfortunately, I traded the comfort of the Volt seats for the leg-numbing Bolt seats. I fixed the leg numbing with a center-cushion fix using old jeans and a cooling seat cover, but the back of the seats are not what I'd call comfortable. They're not a pain, though.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts