Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i am planning on my first EV purchase next year, and the Bolt is my preferred choice. however, with new models set to arrive next year, am wondering what actual Bolt owners would like to see Chevy improve or change for the next MY? for starters, i think a heat pump option would be a great choice, to improve range over the induction heater.

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
A base model with manual locks, hand cranked windows, two metal door keys, no AC, no radio, standard DCFC, a spare tire, and scissors jack.

·
Registered
19 Posts
In order of importance, in my humble opinion (since I'm mostly OK with the seats):

* Heat pump
* More autonomous features, like dynamic cruise control & active lane centering
* Faster CCS charging support
* Higher resolution & better rear view camera
* More comfortable seats
* More aerodynamic wheels

Those things would make me want to upgrade, even though I'm locked in a 3 year lease :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
* Heat pump
Heat pump sounds great but in practice it isn't that clear, which is why it is hit or miss whether a car has it. Tesla does not have a heat pump for example. One issue is that the pump only works down to some temperature (30º sticks in my memory) and the efficiency varies by the outside temperature obviously - in the reverse to what you want (the colder it gets the more energy the pump needs). Also, for de-fogging, you need both AC for de-humidifying and you need heat, so you can't use a heat pump but a combination of AC and resistance heating. And it adds cost and complexity. If I was in snow country I'd want instant heat now - 6kW worth as the Bolt has, no fooling around and **** the range! I'd just plug it in anyhow to pay for that 6kW while I'm warming up.

So while it sounds like an obvious win it isn't and is a design tradeoff, Chevy is trying to keep these affordable and simple and did a great job IMHO.

* More autonomous features, like dynamic cruise control & active lane centering
I wouldn't be surprised to see dynamic CC as a OTA $$ update. Lane centering would be neat, ours don't have the steering wheel control hardware obviously.

Faster CCS charging support
Sure, but realize that you get a battery life hit with DC fast, slow but surely.

* Higher resolution & better rear view camera
* More comfortable seats
* More aerodynamic wheels
Personally I'm happy with all of these, I like the style of the wheels (really like it) and the Chevy engineers decided the aerodynamics wasn't worth it, probably because we have such a big battery.

Reports are, and I'd expect, little changed in 2018. Personally I think they nailed the 2017, total home run, and now they'd have to wait for the cost of the battery to come down before they can start to think of adding new features. The only thing I want is OTA updated features for my 2017.

·
Registered
592 Posts
No. I am absolutely serious. Before 2025, cars need to be at least twice as efficient. That means 1,500-2,000 pound, 30 kWh, super aero.

http://edison2.com/
Ain't gonna happen! :nerd:

I was talking about EV's to some collegues (techie engineer types), one of them asked when hybrids/BEV's will stop being enthusiast cars and 'more like gas cars'. Not in the sense of range or charging, but styling. He complained (to a Volt owner) that the Volt looks like an early adopter enthusiast car ('no offense but looks like crap basically' is what he said). The Volt owners response? "Take a look at ProfessorBolta's Bolt". People want normalcy, and the tech (battery energy density) will have to match.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I'd like to see adaptive cruise control and for the sake of others and better sales, I'd like to see improved front seating for all body types. I'm fine with the seats as is, but I think the car could sell in greater numbers without such polarizing seats. I'd also like to see some software mods-

• A button to turn off the radio and have it stay off indefinitely.
  • The ability to switch the L1 charging to 12 amps and have it stay there as default.
  • The ability to select L as default on start up.
  • The ability to adjust the delay on the automatic headlights between on and off.
  • Have the main tail lights on the hatch also act as turn signals. I seriously question how visible the little amber ones are way down on the bumper.
Maybe also dual climate zones for the HVAC, but at some point we are starting to describe the upcoming Buick!! :laugh:

Also in the future an SS version that would have a bigger motor, lower gearing, limited slip differential and tighter suspension would be awesome! Some of us would be willing to sacrifice range for this.

Overall though, I'm pretty dang happy with this car as is!

·
Registered
17 Posts
* Heat pump
Heat pumps are definitely problematic. You will eventually end up with an iced radiator that needs to be defrosted. In a moving car, that's not quite easy since any heat applied to it will simply be conducted away from the radiator by the wind. It may work nicely when ambient temperatures are between 42F-60F. But that's a very narrow range for which to re-engineer the entire cooling and heating system for the car.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
I assume there will be NO changes in 2018 MY.
I think that is a safe assumption. There may be minute revisions for engineering reasons. We may also see a small change up in colors, like dropping one color and adding another, or possibly just adding one, or possibly just losing one. I suspect the light ash interior may go away as an option.

·
Registered
133 Posts
wants

* auto power folding outside mirrors
* a wider wireless charging pocket that will fit larger phones
* means to turn radio off
* adaptive cruise control
* auto braking at all speeds not just 5-50mph
* auto windshield wipers

·
Registered
5,369 Posts
ProfessorBolta,

"Ain't gonna happen!"

I agree. I was saying what needs to happen, not what will. Lots of people seem to think we are in some sort of negotiation with the planet....art of the deal style. The planet doesn't give a rat's behind what we want.

·
Registered
57 Posts
A locking version of the hidden "trunk" with a cover made of metal and "upholstery".

Slightly wider seats to accommodate a wider range of drivers (no pun intended).

Every screen view should have a "home" icon.

120/240 EVSE included.

Jeff

·
Registered
57 Posts
Use the physical home button. Press and hold to go to Apple/Google car play
I like that there is a physical home button. Nice tip about the car play shortcut.

It still makes me a bit angry when standard GUI guidelines are not followed. Did I waste my time reading through one inch thick GUI guidelines?

Jeff

·
Registered
782 Posts
while physical changes are probably out of the question I would love to see an OTA update from Chevy

1. better charging control as I've noted in other posting.

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
I'd like to see, in order of most important to least important
- Adaptive Cruise Control
- better front seats. They're a bit of a black eye for the Bolt right now.
- A hardware button to turn on birds-eye view and front camera at slow speed without needing to shift to reverse
- Audible blind spot alert chime when you signal for a lane change
- A spare tire option with jack, etc - preferably with a full-sized tire
- Built-in SD card slot to record dash cam footage from the car's cameras
- User option to prevent regen in "D" when you lift your foot from the pedal
- A really compact key fob option, sacrificing a few buttons for a smaller size
- Extending sun visors
- Android Auto via Bluetooth instead of having to plug the phone in
- An option to choose cloth vs. leather seats without regard to trim level

There might be some others as well. For example, in my Prius C I have separate "since new", "Trip 1" and "Trip 2" odometers that I can (except for "since new") reset to track mileage and other stats such as economy, driving time, etc. from two different points. If the Bolt doesn't have a way to track stats from two different points then that would also be an option I'd like to see.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
[*]Have the main tail lights on the hatch also act as turn signals. I seriously question how visible the little amber ones are way down on the bumper.
I saw a video that stated (showed?) that the tail lights on the hatch ARE the turn signals & brake lights, but (as per Federal regulations) when you are driving with the hatch open (carrying cargo which requires you to drive "hatch up"), THEN the little amber ones assume those functions. Anyone check this out? Was that just YouTube BS? Were they talking about brake light function only? Maybe I'll get someone to tail me with my hatch up and cell phone on (hands free, of course) and provide confirmatory/conflicting info.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Extendable sun visors.
A little flip tab for a night vision rear view mirror on the base model.
A spare tire, tools, and jack.
Remove the little braking tab on the left side of the steering wheel.
A mechanical emergency brake.
Move all of the climate control buttons to physical buttons, not part infotainment, part physical.
A more responsive infotainment system, that doesn't crash all the time.
A base model with no Sirius/XM or Onstar option.
An upgraded model with better rims, trim, and seats.
and last, but certainly not least, the ability to permanently disable Onstar! and Sirius on any model that has it

1 - 20 of 25 Posts