Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With my Bolt on order and potentially arriving in December, I've started to think about what I'll need to get done before it arrives. One of the things I want to do is to sign up for the various charging networks I think I might need to use. So far, I've decided to get RFID cards for the following:

• Greenlots - they run almost all the DC Fast Chargers in BC
  • Chargepoint - they seem to run most of the L2 chargers in Vancouver
  • EVgo - they seem to run almost all the DC Fast Chargers in Washington State, where I know I'll be making trips.
Does anyone have any suggestions for other networks I might want to use here on the west coast?

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Reactions: Sean Nelson

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Excellent tip, thanks! Yeah, there seems to be a few dozen around Vancouver here, so that makes it worth signing up for, I think.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV LT
271 Posts
I've got a Greenlots card and so far both of the QC stations that I've visited in BC have been Greenlots machines (Victoria and Manning Park resort). I didn't seek out GL chargers, just ended up that way. Have yet to hit an L2 EVSE that has required me to have anything else.

Hope the whit for your Bolt passes quickly, congrats!

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got a Greenlots card and so far both of the QC stations that I've visited in BC have been Greenlots machines (Victoria and Manning Park resort). I didn't seek out GL chargers, just ended up that way. Have yet to hit an L2 EVSE that has required me to have anything else.
Yeah, on my trips around the Province I've made a point of visiting most of the DC Fast Charging stations and almost all of them are Greenlots. I think that may have to do with a bit of an oddity here in British Columbia - with only a few exceptions nobody is allowed to sell electricity except BC Hydro (see page 48 of this document). And I suspect they've installed all the DC Fast Chargers and signed up with Greenlots as the network to manage their payment system.

That may also explain why there are so many free Level 2 chargers around.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Non-owner but getting lined up for the day that I own an EV.

I have a Greenlots RFID card coming this week (as the heavy saturation in our BC market for DCFC) and will likely need a EVGO card/account too at some point for trips south.

Any updates Sean? Best advice for a "rookie"?

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Any updates Sean? Best advice for a "rookie"?
I ended up with accounts and RFID cards for four charging networks:

ChargePoint - lots of L2 chargers around the city, all the ones I've seen so far are free.

Flo - (AKA "AddEnergie") - same comment as for ChargePoint

EVgo - they seem to have pretty much a monopoly on DC Fast Chargers in Washington and Oregon

Greenlots - for almost all the DC Fast chargers here in BC

I made a point of visiting a charger from each network to make sure that my card worked. The only issue I had was with the EVgo card - when I tried to use it for the first time the charger reported it was "blocked", so I had to call EVgo support and have them activate it for me. (Hint: make sure you know what e-mail address you used when you signed up for your EVgo account). Once they did that it worked just fine. The only problem with EVgo is that they cancel the charging session after 30 minutes, so if you need more charge than that you have to revisit the charger to start another session.

Here's another sneaky tip: when I made my quick trip down to Marysville to try out the EVgo charger I didn't bother activating roaming on my phone. That ended up being an issue when I needed to call EVgo customer support. Fortunately, I had previously asked about OnStar roaming access during the 3-month trial, and it's included - so when I made the call to EVgo support I did it via the car's phone instead of my smart phone. It worked great!

I also disabled mobile data access on my phone during my time Stateside and connected to the car's WiFi hotspot - that gave me free data access through the OnStar trial plan so I could have Google Maps display on the car's screen via Android Auto.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Heya Sean, you mentioned on the 'other' forum you couldn't get EVgo app. I have it on my Canuck ipad. Unused but still installed.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Heya Sean, you mentioned on the 'other' forum you couldn't get EVgo app. I have it on my Canuck ipad. Unused but still installed.
Interesting - I was able to install it on my tablet. It may be that because a mobile device without a modem isn't registered to a Canadian cellular provider, Google Play can't tell that you're not a US customer...?

I understand that we Canadians can now ask our service providers to unlock our cell phones - I'll have to get that done and see if it makes a difference.

If not, I may be forced to bring my tablet with me on my road trips. I've signed up for a data plan for my Bolt, so the WiFi hotspot will allow the EVgo app on the tablet to communicate with their servers.

Thanks for the info!

·
Registered
24 Posts
I used a GreenLots DCFC last week in Ontario. Had no expectation they would bill me in US dollars. Certainly added an extra "service" fee above and beyond the $2.50 service fee. Will avoid in the future.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts