Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Today I cut-up some universal WeatherTech mats based on the ElectricVehicleWiki site for Bolt mats (I'd link, but I don't have enough posts yet). I find them actually not bad at all, especially for $50 and with NW rains coming in this weekend.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
That reminds me, I gotta figure out how to protect my charging cable from neighborhood animals.

<researches animal repellants>

· Registered
1,467 Posts
I recall your installation of the Volt's extendable visors. I just don't have the inclination DIY-wise nor felt the cost for me was worth it. I didn't mind the strap-on extenders, especially for their low $27 price for both visors.

One thing I do like about those strap-on extenders, it extends down as well. When I have lunch in the parking lot on sunny days, I don't always like to wear sunglasses while reading. So passing car glare is minimized with the visor extending down towards the steering wheel. Sure, a sunshade would do a better job, but that's more fuss during an already short lunch.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
I was considering getting these universal WeatherTech mats from Costco. Is that what you used? If so, how have you liked them? Since I'm leasing my Bolt, I don't want to spend a ton of money on mats that I'll likely have for only three years. Here's a link to the universal cargo mat.
Yep, those are the ones. Though when I got them I was in a hurry and got them for $50 at a local Auto Zone. They worked well for rain water, but over time stained and I couldn't scrub or power wash them out. They also didn't do much for small debris as they weren't custom fit to the Bolt. I just a few days ago installed black 3D Maxpider ones that hopefully won't show stains but already they catch more dust from my shoes than the old universal weather tech ones.

The Universal WeatherTechs are nice because the mostly cover the dead pedal. I had to attach some hook-loop (or Velcro) to the bottom of the deadpedal flap to keep it down or else it would flop down every so often. I cut a single line to get the dead pedal per this wiki (I can post links now!):

I'd also get a black one so that eventual water staining doesn't show.

Wonder if that wheelbarrow could handle the weight of the Bolt should you some how flip over and continue rolling forward.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Finally plastidipped the BoltScreen cause the old paint on it was flaking due to flex in the BoltScreen. Literally as I was carrying the screen back to my paint area, the flexing caused more flakes to break off. After 6 coats each side of the screen, it looked a lot better. Even when flexing the dipped screen, no new flakes or protrusions appeared. I think the plastidip is under enough tension and thick enough that it's keeping the original screen paint in place. FYI, I did not remove the original paint before dipping.

Before:

After:

· Registered
1,467 Posts

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Installed this 14" rear wiper. I previously went with a 13" but this one works too. You'll need to cut the plastic cover though.
[snipped photos out]
Does this in anyway hurt the rear wiper motor with the added leverage from longer wiper? I have a rear dash cam mounted just inside the rear hatch and having an extra 1"-2" of wiping would be nice to keep the view clear for the rear cam.

· Registered
1,467 Posts
Tip for lurkers: when you install a dashcam you should position it so that it's looking through a portion of the glass that gets cleared by the wiper blades. This applies to front and rear dashcams.
Truth. I had to use some a paint stick from Home Depot that I cut into 2" pieces and stacked on each other to provide an offset platform to mount my rear dash cam. It's ugly and If I can get a longer window wiper, I'd prefer the cutout rear window wiper shroud over a hunk of wood just sticking out 1" with a tiny dash cam mounted to it.

It was so kludgy that I skipped attempting to paint it to blend in because it just stuck out so much when looking through the rear window from either outside or inside (via the rear-view mirror).

· Registered
1,467 Posts
I think if lifting that becomes an issue, a better bet would be the Chrystler Pacifica PHEV with the middle seats removed. Then you can just get a ramp and roll the chair in/out to save your back. Also keeps the chair protected from the elements and bird droppings too versus the trailer hitch and carrier combo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts