Registered
1,390 Posts

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

·
Registered
751 Posts
Hauled a TIG welder home to finish building my daughter's electric ATV (welding the aluminum battery box and steel battery retention brackets)

The casters hanging out the bottom struck the driveway on the way out, but thankfully they swivel and roll so it just rode it through. Love this back rack.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Drove it to work after having it sit for a week due to a combination of needing to take a turn and burn trip to Newton, KS, and waking up the ECM in the ION so it'll pass the readiness check for our emissions tests.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Hauled a TIG welder home to finish building my daughter's electric ATV (welding the aluminum battery box and steel battery retention brackets) View attachment 31001

The casters hanging out the bottom struck the driveway on the way out, but thankfully they swivel and roll so it just rode it through. Love this back rack.
What brand is it and the hitch?

·
Registered
879 Posts
And I just purchased snow tires for mine... I had the wheels for a while (late spring) and I was waiting for a good sale.
Got 205/60x16 Generals.
They are 12/32 vs Michelin 10/32.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I just bought Generals for one of the other vehicles. I hear they are great. At least the Artic Altimax ones I got.

The Bolt ended up with Blizzaks.

·
Registered
751 Posts
What brand is it and the hitch?
The hitch is the Draw-Tite 24956, which is rated at 2000 lbs / 200 lb tongue weight. $130 delivered. I have spoken at length about this hitch and I believe it to be the state of the art for the Bolt. Extremely easy to install (no ripping off of the entire a$$ of the car) and they take the torque. They're just built better than pretty much everything else out there. I saw posts where a little bike rack bent and tweaked the cheaper hitches. Not the 24965. It's been a rock and I've abused it plenty. Hundreds of miles of towing a boat, thousands of miles hauling camping gear.

The cargo rack is a Curt 17x46 Cargo Carrier. It's probably one of the nicer cheap cargo racks, but it's LOW, and scrapes constantly as built stock. Like, REALLY low. I raised mine 5 1/2" (at the metal fabrication shop with more 1 1/4" steel box tube) and it made all the difference in the world. I also think it gave me a bit more aerodynamic efficiency because it put the cargo more in the pocket of stagnate air behind the car rather than sticking in to the flow below the car. But honestly, I've only done 200 miles with it raised and loaded, so it's not the biggest sample size. Stock, it cut me down to less than 3.6 miles/kWh. Your mileage may vary.

·
Registered
5,716 Posts
Bought a $60 phone from Walmart to stay with the car. Samsung A01 with Android 10. Fired up Android Auto, installed myChevrolet app, and installed Electrify America app. As others have observed, Android Auto takes over Bluetooth which disconnects your other phone. That's annoying.

·
Registered
751 Posts
Took the homebrew electric quad out today. The kids had a blast, but then Dad got on it and tried to power over a giant dirt mound, which put about 100 amps in to the motor and cooked the windings. What a jerk!

Home made carrier worked great, but of course my horrible driveway did its best to see that it's scraped on the way out.

I guess now I'm going to be giving the girls lessons on rewinding armatures...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Bought a $60 phone from Walmart to stay with the car. Samsung A01 with Android 10. Fired up Android Auto, installed myChevrolet app, and installed Electrify America app. As others have observed, Android Auto takes over Bluetooth which disconnects your other phone. That's annoying.
View attachment 31171
Brought my Bolt to the Chevy dealer an had my batteries recalibrated

·
Registered
245 Posts

Crossed the 5k mark today

·
Registered
1,363 Posts
The hitch is the Draw-Tite 24956, which is rated at 2000 lbs / 200 lb tongue weight. $130 delivered. I have spoken at length about this hitch and I believe it to be the state of the art for the Bolt. Extremely easy to install (no ripping off of the entire a$$ of the car) and they take the torque. They're just built better than pretty much everything else out there. I saw posts where a little bike rack bent and tweaked the cheaper hitches. Not the 24965. It's been a rock and I've abused it plenty. Hundreds of miles of towing a boat, thousands of miles hauling camping gear.

The cargo rack is a Curt 17x46 Cargo Carrier. It's probably one of the nicer cheap cargo racks, but it's LOW, and scrapes constantly as built stock. Like, REALLY low. I raised mine 5 1/2" (at the metal fabrication shop with more 1 1/4" steel box tube) and it made all the difference in the world. I also think it gave me a bit more aerodynamic efficiency because it put the cargo more in the pocket of stagnate air behind the car rather than sticking in to the flow below the car. But honestly, I've only done 200 miles with it raised and loaded, so it's not the biggest sample size. Stock, it cut me down to less than 3.6 miles/kWh. Your mileage may vary.
How does the Draw-Tite compare to the "Factory" hitch the GM sells? I have GM $ that I could use on a hitch. Are there any Hitches that do not require cutting the bumper?

·
Registered
751 Posts
How does the Draw-Tite compare to the "Factory" hitch the GM sells? I have GM $ that I could use on a hitch. Are there any Hitches that do not require cutting the bumper?
The GM hitch bends with one mountain bike. It's garbage. The Draw-Tite pulls a sailboat, an ATV and a cargo rack. And it's a lot easier to install, which is to say you don't have to rip the whole as$ off the car to bolt it to the bumper mounts with little 6 mm studs. Spend the GM cash on something else.

321 - 340 of 439 Posts