Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
521 - 540 of 549 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does this in anyway hurt the rear wiper motor with the added leverage from longer wiper? I have a rear dash cam mounted just inside the rear hatch and having an extra 1"-2" of wiping would be nice to keep the view clear for the rear cam.
I'm sure the added length will add additional stress to the motor but will it cause damage? Don't know so maybe. I used the 13" blade for a couple years with no problem so maybe the 13" is a good compromise.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV
9,664 Posts
Does this in anyway hurt the rear wiper motor with the added leverage from longer wiper? I have a rear dash cam mounted just inside the rear hatch and having an extra 1"-2" of wiping would be nice to keep the view clear for the rear cam.
Tip for lurkers: when you install a dashcam you should position it so that it's looking through a portion of the glass that gets cleared by the wiper blades. This applies to front and rear dashcams.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
Tip for lurkers: when you install a dashcam you should position it so that it's looking through a portion of the glass that gets cleared by the wiper blades. This applies to front and rear dashcams.
Truth. I had to use some a paint stick from Home Depot that I cut into 2" pieces and stacked on each other to provide an offset platform to mount my rear dash cam. It's ugly and If I can get a longer window wiper, I'd prefer the cutout rear window wiper shroud over a hunk of wood just sticking out 1" with a tiny dash cam mounted to it.

It was so kludgy that I skipped attempting to paint it to blend in because it just stuck out so much when looking through the rear window from either outside or inside (via the rear-view mirror).

·
Registered
76 Posts
yes. I used a hacksaw then made it smooth with a utility knife. If you've never removed the wiper before then watch this video on youtube. rear wiper removal You'll need to depress a button on the bottom of the wiper blade to remove it.
... I wonder if there's a 13" "cover" that would fit for no cutting, floating around out there meant for another car ....

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier, 2021 Audi e-tron Prestige , 2017 Porsche 911 Turbo S
272 Posts
Hey @Jake from State Farm. Thanks for posting pics of the Thule Motion XT L. Looking at buying that soon and measure the front clearance and it was dangerously close to exactly 47.5" which Thule says is the minimum, so I wasn't sure, but was able to see from your photo that it looks like a safe amount clearance from the hatch. Do you have any complaints, or any estimation of your range hit with the cargo box on?
Sorry, I did not see this until now. No complaints, I use this box on both the Bolt and on the e-tron and what I noticed is that I get less range using it with Bolt than the e-tron , very strange because the Bolt is more efficient, the e-tron will predict the range better, the Bolt can be a bit wild but I’m guessing that the range hit varies between 10 to 15%.

·
Registered
1,601 Posts
That's pretty neat. I'm getting to the point where lifting my wife's powerchair in and out is becoming difficult.
How much does it weigh? The one i got for my wife weighs less than 30 pounds.
SuperHandy 3 Wheel Folding Mobility Scooter - Electric Powered, Lightest Available, Airline Friendly - Long Range Travel w/ 2 Detachable 48V Lithium-ion Batteries and Charger https://a.co/d/fViRUss

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
I think if lifting that becomes an issue, a better bet would be the Chrystler Pacifica PHEV with the middle seats removed. Then you can just get a ramp and roll the chair in/out to save your back. Also keeps the chair protected from the elements and bird droppings too versus the trailer hitch and carrier combo.

521 - 540 of 549 Posts