Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
DCFC spots should never be occupied by a vehicle not charging, but those lame L2 spots are free game for any vehicle when the lot is full.

As an aside, the only practical reason why handicapped spots can't be utilized when the lot is full is because there's no way to tell if the lot was full at the time the non-permitted person parked in the spot.

I attended a conference that had limited parking and every spot was full, including an EV L2 spot by an ICE. What, are people supposed to just go home and not attend the conference in the off chance that an EV has traveled to this conference with no way to make it out of there without lowly L2 charging?

It's up to local law regulate as they see fit, I'm just saying what my rules would be if I were responsible for maximizing utility of resources (parking spots vs slow charging opportunity). As a business owner, I'd never install L2 because I don't want to waste my money, or my time settling issues related to it that has nothing to do with my business.
I totally respect your right to your opinions. And as a business owner, you totally have the right to not waste a single parking space on a L2 charge. And it’s totally your free speech right to insult those business owners who made the choice to install L2 chargers in their parking lot, like calling the decision “dumb”, etc. But, once that decision has been made, your opinion is irrelevant. It’s still a functional parking space. If you are not charging a plug-in car while occupying the space, you should not be in it, regardless of the number of the available parking spaces in the lot. I’m not saying this to be unsympathetic to the situation you were in recently. I’m saying it because the choice to designate the parking spaces to be EV-only charging spaces has been made, and you need to respect that decision. The alternative is simply anarchy, and I’m going to guess that you do not subscribe to that political philosophy. ;)

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
Let's say you let people park in the EV spots(s) and you get exactly the number of spaces needed for the demand. We can play this game forever, but there's more likely to be unutilized spaces that would otherwise be available, than some braindead EV driver that is counting on the sole L2 charger that's available to complete their trip.
Of course you're not going to be able to perfectly allocate spaces to each kind of use, that's the classic partitioning problem. The same thing applies to the roads themselves - the inbound lanes have a ton of wasted space in the evening rush hour when all of the outbound lanes are choked with commuters heading home. But, aside from specifically designed counterflow lanes, we don't let everyone drive anywhere they want just because it would be more efficient.

I don't see a convincing reason why parking lots with EV and handicapped stalls need to be any different.

·
Registered
165 Posts
In my state (Florida), there is statute on the books about this:

I would recommend that all drivers, plug-in owners or not, look up the local laws that apply to EV parking spaces in their state.
So there's one law. Good. Thanks for that. I checked my jurisdiction and didn't find one. Maybe some individual cities have their own laws too but my state (province) anyway doesn't seem to have one. Maybe @Sean Nelson might know.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
No, two have been mentioned. There's one in CA. You can do a google search for:

California electric charging tow law

if you really want to find the exact statue

·
Registered
165 Posts
No, two have been mentioned. There's one in CA. You can do a google search for:

California electric charging tow law

if you really want to find the exact statue
I had posted wondering if any existed. Seems they do. I'm good. As I said, my jurisdiction doesn't seem to have one and that maybe some cities have their own bylaws. But I'm not looking up every city in my driving area that has a charger. :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
I had posted wondering if any existed. Seems they do. I'm good. As I said, my jurisdiction doesn't seem to have one and that maybe some cities have their own bylaws. But I'm not looking up every city in my driving area that has a charger. :)
You don’t have to look up the laws in every jurisdiction. Just assume there is one, and you will never be in violation of it if you only use an EV space when you are charging your car! ;)

·
Registered
165 Posts
You don’t have to look up the laws in every jurisdiction. Just assume there is one, and you will never be in violation of it if you only use an EV space when you are charging your car! ;)
Oh hey throughout this convo, I've just been curious. I would have no wish to take a charging opportunity from a fellow ev'r just to park and would go out of my way if it was the last available spot.
How about EMP - Electric Motor Propulsion :) ie. I got emped.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
In Quebec, Anyone who contravenes the use of a parking space reserved for a rechargeable electric vehicle is liable to a fine of $100 to $200. (Quebec's Highway Safety Code)

Toronto's parliament is currently debating “Bill 123, Reserved Parking for Electric Vehicle Charging Act, 2019,” which has the following text (and a lot of other text) :

30.2 No person shall leave a vehicle unattended in an electric vehicle charging station unless the vehicle is an electric vehicle and the vehicle is attached to the station’s charging equipment.

30.3 A person who contravenes section 30.2 is guilty of an offense and on conviction is liable to a fine of $125.

So, some places in Canada punish ICEing.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Thanks. Quebec kinda has their own legal system yet intertwined somehow with English Canada. There's no parliament in Toronto. Maybe the city is doing something. I'm in BC like Sean Nelson. We have terrific EV take-up participation and rapidly expanding charging infrastructure even out in more remote areas along highway corridors. But our Motor Vehicle Act doesn't seem to mention ev parking. At least that I could reasonably find.
So my original question was more of that curiosity. My curiosity has been satisfied. Thanks again.

·
Registered
1,643 Posts
Thanks. Quebec kinda has their own legal system yet intertwined somehow with English Canada. There's no parliament in Toronto. Maybe the city is doing something. I'm in BC like Sean Nelson.
I meant "the parliament in Toronto" (i.e., the Parliament of Ontario) and should not have said "Toronto's parliament".

At any rate, another territory that MAY pass laws to punish those blocking charging stalls who are not charging.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I meant "the parliament in Toronto" (i.e., the Parliament of Ontario) and should not have said "Toronto's parliament".

At any rate, another territory that MAY pass laws to punish those blocking charging stalls who are not charging.
And I was ill-informed apparently. I forgot that Toronto was the capital of Ontario. Apologies.
So as to not derail this topic TOO much...have a look here.
tl;dr- the national parliament in Ottawa Ontario and provincial parliaments in each provincial capital, both run as parliaments.
There are regional governments like counties that are made of municipal representatives and some elected. And finally municipal or city governments. Neither of which run as parliaments.

·
Registered
3,908 Posts
tl;dr- the national parliament in Ottawa Ontario and provincial parliaments in each provincial capital, both run as parliaments.
Provincial governments follow the parliamentary system, but in my experience the provincial governing body is called the "legislature" and not the "parliament". When I hear "parliament" I think "Ottawa".

·
Registered
172 Posts
It should be illegal everywhere. I for one will not hesitate to report a ice in an EV spot. Fines should be around $300cdn MINIMAL with towing IMHO. And no, the excuse of “there were no other spots” is not acceptable whatsoever.
Harsh? Yes. However there are far too many people who get away with this rude behavior and it needs to be stopped. No excuses at all.

·
Registered
165 Posts
Provincial governments follow the parliamentary system, but in my experience the provincial governing body is called the "legislature" and not the "parliament". When I hear "parliament" I think "Ottawa".
Yes I'm aware of that. I was trying to keep it relatable to a primarily US audience without getting bogged down in yet more irrelevant to them details.
So do you know off hand if BC or cities in it have these laws?

21 - 36 of 36 Posts