Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
What's normally in your Bolt? At the moment ...

(The forum software takes Amazon links and does something horrible, removing and putting in a tl;dr for now

Hatch bottom

• OEM Tire inflator
  • Jumper cables that came in a roadside kit my dealer gave me for buying the car
  • Rest of the roadsit kit (gloves, simple first aid, road markers, etc)
  • Stock 12A/120V charger + Camco 55233 30 AMP Male/15 AMP Female adapter (campground emergency)
  • OEM stock (tow eyebolt, empty mystery cutout, Bose amp underneith)
Hatch Hidden (under false floor)

• JuiceBox® Pro 40, with adapter pack and carrying case
  • JDapter Stub to use the Tesla chargers at work and elsewhere
  • JuicePlug for control and credits of dumb/commercial EVSE's, paired with the car WIFI
  • J1772 extension 50A 20-foot cable Rather than carry a 50A extension I use this which works in more circumstances, e.g. being ICE'd out on a commercial station
  • Conntek 20A 125-Volt Plug NEMA 5-20P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla
  • Conntek 30A NEMA 6-30P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla
  • Conntek 50A NEMA 6-50P to 50-Amp Electric Vehicle Adapter Cord for Tesla
  • Conntek PSS21450 1.5-Feet 50-Amp 125/250-volt Shore Power SS2-50P/ Generator CS6365 Locking Plug to NEMA 14-50R Female Connector
  • Camco Electrical Accessory Storage Bag For all the adapters
  • Dufflebag with rain gear, pullovers, coat, etc (I go to the coast a lot and you never know what the weather will be like)
Hatch
  • 3 Piece Large Collapsible Shopping Box Set For when I stop at the store
  • Laptop backpack
Hatch upgraded privacy shield

• Tissue box
  • OEM sun shade
Backseat pouch
  • Yearly passes to all the state and local parks
  • Hard copy maps for when out of 4G range
Armrest storage
  • ChargePoint card
  • EVGo Card
  • iPad (eventually)
Front

• Kingston Digital 64 GB Data Traveler. Various videos and music, the drive works well and the metal case dissipates the heat well (for some reason these ports get hot, which they warn you about in the manual)
  • FiiO X5 music player, holds my entire collection in FLAC. For the AUX port, the best audio source on the car
  • Sunglasses in the wireless phone charger
  • Klean Kanteen Wide Stainless Steel Coffee Mug with Café Cap 2.0. Several of these, fit perfectly
  • Anker Quick Charge 3.0 39W Dual USB Car Charger. Extra USB ports, blue LED fits Bolt blue theme
  • Tissue box
  • Stock Lightning cable for phone in front phone pocket
  • Laptop 12V adapter
Glovebox
  • Gloves
  • Paperwork
  • Manual
With amazon links, putting it in a quote makes it act normally

·
Registered
5,387 Posts
Got rid of the dense, black foam accessory holder, in the spare tire well. The tow bolt is secured to the center hole with a bolt-with-plastic-knob I had lying around. Replaced the tire well cover with a piece of 1/2" blue insulating foam board that was sitting in the garden shed for decades. It sits across the entire floor, in a recess that looks just made for just such a cover, under the grey cargo liner. I have a piece of the same foam set vertically across the tire well for support. It has held up fine so far, including a 50 pound bag of composted manure. I could throw my old jumper cables down in the well, but never needed them in 23 years of driving the old Sentra. Never needed the scissors jack, or spare either. Virginia roads are still some of the best in the country.

Back seat has car bibs, cloth grocery bags, hats, gloves. Rag under driver's seat. Console tray holds tissues. Glove box holds maps, manual, registration/insurance cards, flashlight, pen, paper.

Does anybody know if the neat gps/compass thingie on the dash will still work, when our trial Onstar runs out?

·
Registered
624 Posts
isn't having the 6-30 and 6-50 adapters redundant? otherwise, great list. things are expensive though.

also, the j1772 extension cord is a great idea. easy to steal though...

·
Registered
3,801 Posts
Now where do you park, and how good is the lighting? >:)

JK, I almost never keep my company laptop in any car because it has sensitive data. When I do keep it in the car, I'll hide it where nobody would look, like under a floor mat under a seat.

In all vehicles I carry a tire plug kit and inflator, jumper cables, tow strap, lightweight blanket, frisbee, pen, dental flossers, multi-tool, flashlight (I never floss unless I'm bored on a highway).

I should probably have some bottled water. Would be good to keep the grocery bags in there too, but they end up back in the house after getting groceries.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I've kept a pair of old work gloves in my car for years, as part of the emergency tool package. If you have to change a tire in the winter, or in muddy conditions, you'll appreciate them. But I wouldn't keep those in the glovebox. :)

My emergency kit also includes a tow-strap, which we picked up after almost losing my brother's car off an icy road. I'd also suggest a big reflective triangle, like truckers are required to carry.
Flashlight, compact rain coat.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've kept a pair of old work gloves in my car for years, as part of the emergency tool package. If you have to change a tire in the winter, or in muddy conditions, you'll appreciate them. But I wouldn't keep those in the glovebox. :)
I also have a pair of leather work gloves (those cheap but super functional ones) in the EVSE accessories bag.

My emergency kit also includes a tow-strap, which we picked up after almost losing my brother's car off an icy road.
How do you attach a tow strap to the Bolt?

·
Registered
107 Posts
How do you attach a tow strap to the Bolt?
On both the front and rear bumper, close to the outer passenger side, there a little removable panel. If you open that up, there's a place to screw in a large eye-bolt. The eye-bolt should come with the car, probably stashed in the lower trunk section.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On both the front and rear bumper, close to the outer passenger side, there a little removable panel. If you open that up, there's a place to screw in a large eye-bolt. The eye-bolt should come with the car, probably stashed in the lower trunk section.
OK , so attach eye bolt, use tow strap with hooks to that, then the other end of the loop goes somewhere convenient on the towing vehicle? And do you know how the panel comes off?

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
These in the "trunk" (plus the emergency stuff in what would be a spare wheel well under the trunk space), seats up. Oh, and another toolbox, just a little smaller than the DeWalt one. This is a very voluminous trunk.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Is the foam organizer crucial for dampening road noise? I've been thinking of storing extra stuff like others in this thread where the foam organizer is but don't want to remove it if it provides significant sound dampening of road noise.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Is the foam organizer crucial for dampening road noise? I've been thinking of storing extra stuff like others in this thread where the foam organizer is but don't want to remove it if it provides significant sound dampening of road noise.
I read that in prototype testing they found that all sorts of car noises they didn't have to worry about before became a problem, because in a ICE car the engine masks all sorts of noise. If you look around the Bolt it has quite a bit of noise padding all over. So does it help? I'd guess not since there is one or two false floors and it's the back of the car. But if you have a premier there's a audio amplifier back there you don't want to mess with (heat, etc). I like keeping it stock.

·
Registered
782 Posts
Hatch bottom
OEM Tire inflator
roadsit kit (gloves, simple first aid, road markers, etc)
Stock 12A/120V charger (not really sure why I carry this, but don't want to "organize" it into oblivion in my garage - needs to stay with car)
OEM stock (tow eyebolt, empty mystery cutout, Bose amp underneith)

Hatch Hidden (under false floor)
Tesla UMC, with adapter pack and carrying case
various Tesla UMC Adapters (5-15, 5-20, 10-30, 14-50, 6-50, etc…)
shore power Marine to NEAM 14-50R adapter
JDapter Stub to use the Tesla UCM and chargers at work and elsewhere
a NEMA 5-20 extension cord w/5-15 adapter
a NEMA 14-50 50A extension cord
2000 watt 12v DC to AC inverter for emergency AC power
bottles of water from Costco

Hatch
Bag full of rags, cleaning supplies and various useful car things

Armrest storage
many many USB cables so that I can charge all manner of devices…

Door pocket or backseat
used iPad Wifi only version with various EV centric apps installed - paired with Bolt's WiFi…

Front Plastic pocket hidden under the main screen
a metal Altoids box filled with various charge network RFID cards

Glovebox
Gloves
Paperwork
Manual

1 - 18 of 18 Posts