Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Apple iPhones still don't support it apparently, even with iPhone 8 :confused:

My dealer indicated that even android phones can be hard to get to charge. And it begs the question, when you have to cable it for CarPlay/Android anyhow, and it has the special phone pocket, why wireless? Probably because they had it and figured why not, it's a tech car.

Neat thing is there are other options. First, what I use it for, sunglasses holder! Works great, the rubber insert protects the glasses, and the bottom bumpers keep it well centered.

Second usage, to hold my work badge. I don't use this because it has eyeglass duty (and I wear eyeglasses normally so something is always there), but it works perfectly for that too.

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
If you flex it a little, the rubber insert can be removed. The problem is that there are holes in the bottom of the resulting space that stuff can fall through. One of these days, I'm going to cut up some cardboard to cover the bottom then reclaim that space for my phone. Maybe this weekend, now that I'm inspired.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
Apple routinely launches new tech products and quickly falls behind in keeping up with new developments. The iPhone 1 was huge when launched, but after 7 iterations, still doesn't natively support wireless charging. That said, you can add the capability if you want.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Apple routinely launches new tech products and quickly falls behind in keeping up with new developments. The iPhone 1 was huge when launched, but after 7 iterations, still doesn't natively support wireless charging. That said, you can add the capability if you want.
100% incorrect. the iphone 8 has wireless charging.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Several members who have 8's have reported being entirely unable to get it to work with the Bolt, even though they both support Qi. So apparently the answer is "the iPhone has wireless charging, if you use the Apple accessory to charge). Joy.

·
Registered
624 Posts
Several members who have 8's have reported being entirely unable to get it to work with the Bolt, even though they both support Qi. So apparently the answer is "the iPhone has wireless charging, if you use the Apple accessory to charge). Joy.
also incorrect. my iphone 8 works just fine on 3 Qi wireless chargers i've purchased. apple's charger isn't even for sale yet. the fault appears to be with the Bolt.

·
Registered
196 Posts
:(Too much trouble even if it did work. My Samsung S7 Edge initially charges and then stops. I keep the phone charged so car charging isn't an issue.

·
Registered
6,013 Posts
100% correct. Apple has 7 iterations of the iPhone that don't natively support wireless charging.

In 2012 Google launched the Nexus 4 with inductive charging. The point is, Apple routinely begins a technology revolution and then rapidly falls behind.

I don't keep up with what Apple does because they are overpriced, low function devices.

·
Registered
624 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
I will be interested to see how the iPhone X works with the charge slot, but I was wondering about the interaction between wireless charging and CarPlay anyhow. Seems a little redundant to require wired CarPlay, but then build in a wireless charging port....

·
Registered
168 Posts
I 3D printed a holster for my phone that fits in the slot. Plan is that once the second iteration is printed, the USB cable will permanently be ready for me to plug in just by sliding my phone into the slot. First iteration fit well, but I screwed up the iphone cord dimensions somehow. Hopefully I'll find the time to print the second gen in the next few weeks.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I will be interested to see how the iPhone X works with the charge slot, but I was wondering about the interaction between wireless charging and CarPlay anyhow. Seems a little redundant to require wired CarPlay, but then build in a wireless charging port....
Apple is the one that requires wired CarPlay, which is pretty annoying. I have an iPhone 6s with a Mophie JuicePak Wireless (http://www.mophie.com/shop/wireless/juice-pack-wireless-iphone-6) and I've never had any problems with getting the charger to start charging regardless of which end is up - well, occasionally if I slide it in at a weird angle, it won't pick it up, but pulling it up and pushing it back down usually does the trick. When I'm using CarPlay, I turn the phone around so the screen is pointing at the charging side and it doesn't try to activate wireless charging.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Apple is the one that requires wired CarPlay, which is pretty annoying.
I thought it was a Chevrolet issue. Do you have a link or basis for this statement?

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV / 2014 Spark EV / 2020 Tesla Model Y
135 Posts
Since CarPlay requires an iPhone to plug in, I didn't find wireless charing to be of much point

Reactions: drrjv

·
Registered
392 Posts
So true I was scratching my head on this one too! Maybe one doubles up and plugs in and puts the phone it the pocket and it doubel tha charge rate!? Nah couldnt be!

·
Registered
168 Posts
"wireless" phone charger insert

I 3D printed a holster for my phone that fits in the slot. Plan is that once the second iteration is printed, the USB cable will permanently be ready for me to plug in just by sliding my phone into the slot. First iteration fit well, but I screwed up the iphone cord dimensions somehow. Hopefully I'll find the time to print the second gen in the next few weeks.
So, I finally got around to making my holder. I can simply slide the phone into the pocket and it connects as you can see in the photos. It is super convenient and the best use I have found for it thus far.

Attachments

·
Registered
220 Posts
Cool! Do you have any tips on how you measured the opening/radius to model such a close fit? 3D printers man... What a trip!

·
Registered
168 Posts
Honestly, it's not even my printer - had to get my uncle to run it. That meant I had to be very precise. Had to use a caliper to measure the iphone cord. The rest was a series of paper prints to scale, cutting them out, walking to the car and physically test fitting the paper, modify, repeat. Surprisingly my first 3D print iteration worked out great.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts