Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Under "Energy Settings" there is an option for "Radio Power Down." Page 133 of the owner's manual says "This allows high voltage battery power to be conserved. Set the value for the reminder to be displayed." It can be set to Off, 2%, 4%, ..., 10%. Does anyone know what this option actually does? Thanks.

·
Registered
989 Posts
It will turn off the audio/infotainment systems to save power when the HVB gets low.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
Is this a percentage of the HVB or the 12V AGM battery?

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've been wondering about this too as I continue to explore the workings of my new Bolt. The wording in the manual is very unhelpful.

* Does selecting "off" mean that you are turning the Radio Power Down option off? Or does it mean the car will turn the radio off to reduce power consumption when necessary?

* Do the percentage options, 2%...10%, mean you reduce the power by whichever percentage you choose, so that 10% gives you the greatest reduction? Or does the selection mean you are reducing power from 100% to 2% or 4%, etc.?

The manual doesn't explain this. Does anyone know the answers?

·
Registered
134 Posts
It is the HVB for sure as the radio power down function does not kick in until a 10% (or lower) level is reached. The 12V would make the entire EV non-functional LONG before it got down to 1.2 volts!
So you're saying that the percentage choices indicate the state of charge of the high voltage battery. In other words if I select 10%, for example, I'm telling the car to power down the radio when the HVB has 10% of its power remaining. That would also mean that the "off" selection simply turns the feature off, and the radio will not be powered down regardless of how drained the battery is. Correct?

·
Registered
59 Posts
So you're saying that the percentage choices indicate the state of charge of the high voltage battery. In other words if I select 10%, for example, I'm telling the car to power down the radio when the HVB has 10% of its power remaining. That would also mean that the "off" selection simply turns the feature off, and the radio will not be powered down regardless of how drained the battery is. Correct?
Yes, that's right. This is really more of a gimmick than real functionality, but they had it on the Spark EV as well. If you power down the radio at 10% battery remaining, you might gain a few hundred feet of range. It could help in a few rare cases, but mostly it's just a way to remind you that your battery is low and you should get to a charging location post-haste.

·
Super Moderator
2,067 Posts
Yes, that's right. This is really more of a gimmick than real functionality, but they had it on the Spark EV as well. If you power down the radio at 10% battery remaining, you might gain a few hundred feet of range. It could help in a few rare cases, but mostly it's just a way to remind you that your battery is low and you should get to a charging location post-haste.
I really think all it is is an extra reminder that you are close to running out of battery.
"Hey dummy! Get to a charging station!"

1 - 9 of 9 Posts