Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Question:
Why did you buy that...the battery will die in a year!
How long does the battery last?
Do you need to change the battery every 50,000 miles?
It will need a very expensive battery soon.

All questions I have been asked by non EV owners...

As the forum grows and new Bolts settle in for the long haul, it would be interesting to know your mileage and "perceived" battery degredation so far...so all the naysayers can see how long a Bolt will really last.

Keep the post short and to the point and feel free to update periodically if you are a high mile user.

No discussions on this thread please....just mileage, perceived degredation and how old you Bolt is would be great!

The point is that potential Bolt buyers can see how many miles each member has racked up with what I am guessing will be a very very low percentage of battery loss...

I'll start the thread...

·
Registered
12/16 build, 2017, white LT
11,196 Posts
There is someone in Fredericksburg who put twice that number of miles on in a year.

https://www.voltstats.net/BoltEV/Stats/Details/9099

That is actually the best case scenario for getting the most miles on a battery. The more typical 12K a year over four years will probably see more battery degradation just due to age. The only totally honest answer is that nobody knows for certain yet what our batteries will look like in ten years. Every OEM EV built, in the latest EV boom, is still under warranty.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I haven't had anyone ask about battery life yet... but I tell them 8 years. I have had questions about how powerful it is... The common perception is that if it isn't a tesla, it's short ranged and wimpy. Tesla has been very smart about getting P/R out with their 0-60 times. I think Ford used to say "Race on Sunday, Sell cars on Monday". Anyway, the common misconception is that it's gunna go less than 100 miles and have all the pulling power of a golf cart. I took my dentist for a spirited ride around the parking lot and left him impressed with two rubber strips all the way to the back of the parking lot.

So, I make sure to tell people: 8 years on battery, 200hp, burn rubber til you are tired of it, 400 mile range @ 45mph, 160 mile range @ 80mph.

I have a confession for the group.... my wife is getting a used tesla model s. We sold our Honda fit this weekend and I was all set to go get another Bolt. She checked a place online and found a Model S. In fairness, she puts 37k miles on a car per year, so we'd burn through the 100,000 mile warranty in 2.5 years. The model S warranty won't run out on her for mileage.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
I am close to 31,000 miles and have seen moderate degradation. When new my battery got right around 57 kWh and now I am about 56 kWh. I know some people say they can get 63 kWh out of their battery, but most people I have seen videos of look like they are about 59 kWh for a full charge. I was always below that, I guess starting battery capacity is pretty variable.

If I degrade another 5 kWh it won't be a big deal. I will just start charging my car to 100% instead of hilltop reserve. I doubt I will own my car long enough to reach under 50 kWh. I will drive the Bolt for about three years and 100,000 miles a evaluate what I want to do after that. To be completely honest, the front seat size is not acceptable and I might just trade it the Bolt after three years because of that one issue. I did purchase the Bolt, but I need to keep the car for three years according to the rebates I received.

Just like ai4px I am considering a used Model S for my second car. The next pure EV that will be as big as the Model S for under $50,000 will be 5 years away...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A good Bolt battery with active thermal management should easily make it to 300,000 miles. Given the battery in the Volt has numerous known examples still running at 400,000 miles with good battery capacity (+70%). GM learned alot from the Volt and the failure rate was extremely low. Teslas initial battery failure rate was much higher but good PR solves that problem.

Keep posting and lets see how it goes...

·
Registered
36 Posts
The battery should last the same as a Tesla and that means 15 years plus. A recent Tesla survey found no significant battey degradation at 160,000 miles. By the time the batteres need replacement, the car will either be in the junkyard, or the batteries will cost very little to replace.

·
Registered
608 Posts
I've had many people ask me some version of this question. I always start by telling them about the 8 year / 100,000 mile warranty.

One friend was a little put off by EV's because his hybrid needed a new and expensive battery replacement shortly after the warranty was up. People are justified in being worried about the battery because older plugins and hybrids were less reliable. I told him that my hybrid has 215,000 miles with no perceived degradation.

I usually also point out that it's not much different from ICE cars in that they often have engine problems. Things do happen.

·
Registered
2,877 Posts
What every non Bolt owner wants to know..miles vs battery degredation.
Why did you buy that...the battery will die in a year!
How long does the battery last?
Do you need to change the battery every 50,000 miles?
It will need a very expensive battery soon.
Not every non-Bolt owner. In three-and-a-half years we've never been asked those questions. Our enthusiastic recommendation has sold three Bolts to folk who've never owned an EV and weren't seriously considering one.

No discussions on this thread please....
Good luck with that on this forum! The last several guys just ignored your injunction; so will I.

just mileage, perceived degredation and how old you Bolt is would be great!
16,000 miles, three-and-a-half years and zero perceived degradation.

jack vines

·
Registered
843 Posts
April 2019 Bolt. +11,000 miles. No perceived degradation.

Rich

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,294 Posts
Any particular reason to raise 2 year old thread from the dead to answer a poster who has been gone for a year because their Bolt was totaled in an accident? Inquiring minds want to know!

ga2500ev

·
Registered
608 Posts
An update to my post from almost three years ago.

I've now got almost 100,000 miles on my Bolt and I don't have any noticeable degradation. Also I charged to 100% almost every night until I got the software update. Now I charge to 95%.

I used to get asked those questions but not any more.

I think the best thing to tell people now is that an EV lasts 2 to 3 times longer than an ICE vehicle. I can't prove it but there seems to be a lot of evidence for it these days. Battery packs from the last few years generally hold up very well.

·
Registered
2017 Chevy Bolt Premier
235 Posts
Any particular reason to raise 2 year old thread from the dead to answer a poster who has been gone for a year because their Bolt was totaled in an accident? Inquiring minds want to know!

ga2500ev
Why is it an issue to resurrect an old thread that may be useful to others, obviously it’s almost impossible to know that the OP Bolt was totaled if some members weren’t around when it happened ,also one would need to read every thread to keep up, why is it that every forum has an old thread police that comes swinging as soon as an old thread that could be useful to others shows up. I really don’t get it.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
1,294 Posts
Why is it an issue to resurrect an old thread that may be useful to others, obviously it’s almost impossible to know that the OP Bolt was totaled if some members weren’t around when it happened ,also one would need to read every thread to keep up, why is it that every forum has an old thread police that comes swinging as soon as an old thread that could be useful to others shows up. I really don’t get it.
It's kind of difficult to have a conversation with a ghost. frenchfry isn't coming back to this thread to answer the proposed questions. I know that novices often will search and post to a dead thread. But Jack is a veteran here. So, I was just wondering why...

ga2500ev

·
Registered
606 Posts
why is it that every forum has an old thread police that comes swinging as soon as an old thread that could be useful to others shows up. I really don’t get it.
Because if there was so much value in updating it then someone almost certainly would have in the preceding 32 months.

Old threads are best left as reference and new threads on the topic can be started as needed. This makes sure that the new thread isn't bogged down by old information that has since been rendered irrelevant.

Likes piña coladas, and getting caught in the rain.
I agree, but midnight is way too late to be doing anything on the dunes by the lake.

·
Registered
262 Posts
One of mine is at 135k miles, and though I haven't drilled down with NC's tracking and testing methodologies, and my DCFC usage hasn't been super heavy...I'd say 8% loss is about right for mine.

Meanwhile, my Uber driving is getting heavier (200+ miles / day) and more local DCFCs are coming on line, so I may be trending toward more DCFC usage, at least for partial recharges ~ 10-50%

1 - 20 of 20 Posts