Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You know, that space in front of the cup holders and below the radio? It's 5"wx10"hx7"l or so, not exact because it's shaped like a bag of socks. The little pocket next to the lighter is mostly useless. Armrest space is a big step back from 2016 Volt.

Tesla eventually offered a custom-sized cubby thing for their slop pit.

What I want:
-Mini trash can
-Coin storage
-Flat area for wallet, gum, key

Maybe some sort of tray that extends past the cupholders and connects to dumb-pocket? I don't know, it feels like an enterprising 3D designer/printer could figure something out. I'd buy one!

·
Registered
355 Posts
You know, that space in front of the cup holders and below the radio? It's 5"wx10"hx7"l or so, not exact because it's shaped like a bag of socks. The little pocket next to the lighter is mostly useless. Armrest space is a big step back from 2016 Volt.

If you remove the small upper tray in the arm rest console mine has double the room or more than my 2016 Volt.

·
Registered
121 Posts
I keep my 'fat wallet' there. My slim wallet, with one CC, one rewards card and my photo ID, is in my pocket. Insurance cards and other stuff is perfectly safe because I have the doors set to lock automatically when I get out.

·
Registered
735 Posts
It amazes me with how connected everything is to our smartphones that vital things like most of what we keep in our wallets aren't digital already. Digital ways of paying are already happening but if this was done for all the other essentials, I could just carry my phone :D

·
Registered
111 Posts
I find that the square kleenex boxes fit perfectly. I keep one empty and use it for trash. I do wish they had designed the wireless recharging slot for larger phones. I don't use wireless recharging because I keep my phone plugged in via USB for CarPlay and it's charged through the USB cable. Not sure how many folks actually use wireless recharging in the car.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
seems like a great opportunity for some third party to offer a custom fit storage system for this area.
This is certainly something I could do. My brother owns a plastics factory and in the past we have made products for other cars. The problem is coming to a consensus about what exactly should be in that area. Ask 10 owners and likely you'll get 10 different answers.

I personally have no opinion because I just don't carry that much stuff around in my cars. What has been provided is more than enough for me, however if people want to post here what they'd like to have and I start to see a recurring theme I might go into production, so have at it.

What would you all like to do with this area??

·
Registered
368 Posts
I don't use it much at all. There's more secure storage elsewhere for everything I carry regularly. Occasionally it will hold something I purchased, till I get it home. Usually just empty.

·
Registered
105 Posts
One of the issues is that the "side Rails" that are there now are different heights .... it is taller on the drivers side .

I have a small soft insulated lunch box ( six pack size ) that fits well there.
Some waters and it has a side pocket where I keep a trash bag .

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If you go with option two and try to add a cover to it, the cover may not be able to open fully with the center console blocking it.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Like others, with needing Google Maps for navigation, I keep my phone corded. My OtterBox makes it not fit in the wireless charging bay anyway.

I, too, put an umbrella, a flashlight, and extra sunglasses in the "big bay".

·
Registered
70 Posts
The only reason I have to stop at the gas station anymore is to refill my super-sized soda:D. The cup is way too big for any cup holder so I made my own. I cut a piece of foam to fit the "canyon" then cut a large circle out of the middle. The cup rides very comfortably and is handy for my hour+ commute.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
:D that's a great idea! Leave the Bolt cup holders for spare change and other necessities. If you have a Phillips electric knife or something similar, the hole can be cleaned up a bit.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts