Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had never driven an EV prior to the Bolt. So when I did test drive it, after about 30 seconds I didn't even think of it primarily as an EV, but as a fun, solid-on-the-road, lots of headroom, functional car. First of all, I was shocked how quick and solid-feeling it was. Then I was struck by how quiet it was. As the salesperson started commenting on the safety features and electronics, those rose to the surface. In short, I was surprised by how cool the car was -- then I remembered "no emissions"! No joke -- I traded my old CRV in on the spot and bought the Bolt. Still happy I did, and still not always thinking that I am being a good citizen driving my EV. It is simply an enjoyable car to drive with a cool and fun factor that is always forefront. And oh yeah....it is a rockin' EV that goes and goes. Very pleased -- except for the driver's seat (and I'll live with that). I look forward to driving it every morning and evening. Love not buying gas, getting oil changes, and (if I understand correctly) probably having brakes that will last the life of the car. And it is kind of from Detroit? Who woulda thunk? Not a flashy car, not really a show off car, simply an American vehicle of real promise and substance. Bravo Chevy....you have pleasantly surprised me (about time)!

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
Agree 100%. We bought the Bolt because it is the best every-day-around-town car we could find. It's quick, responsive, fun-to-drive, solid feeling, quiet and the right size. That it's a one-pedal drive is a huge plus. That range concerns are off the table for local use is again a huge benefit. The Bolt can be used as everyday transportation without worries, not some short-range-special which requires constant monitoring and hopscotching from charging station to charging station.

That it's an electric will never, ever pay off for us in fuel savings. That it doesn't have the guilt of a below-zero start on an ICE to drive one to five miles, shut it off, let it get cold again and do the same to get home. The cold-start is the ICE Achille's heel. All the wear, high fuel consumption and pollution takes place upon cold start. Once they're completely warm, ICEs are not bad, but most of our driving is cold starts. That the Bolt has none of the above makes it perfect for our short trip use during our six to seven months of winter. That it can be preconditioned remotely is again a huge plus in the cold weather.

Still love our Bolt, despite the few nitpicks; every ICE we've owned had more nitpicks.

jack vines

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I just took some tattered jeans, folded them so they'd fit only the center cushion of the driver's seat, and put a ventilated seat cover/cushion over it to hide the mess. The seat feels fine to me!

Reactions: Torontonian69

·
Registered
247 Posts
I had never driven an EV prior to the Bolt. So when I did test drive it, after about 30 seconds I didn't even think of it primarily as an EV, but as a fun, solid-on-the-road, lots of headroom, functional car. First of all, I was shocked how quick and solid-feeling it was. Then I was struck by how quiet it was. As the salesperson started commenting on the safety features and electronics, those rose to the surface. In short, I was surprised by how cool the car was -- then I remembered "no emissions"! No joke -- I traded my old CRV in on the spot and bought the Bolt. Still happy I did, and still not always thinking that I am being a good citizen driving my EV. It is simply an enjoyable car to drive with a cool and fun factor that is always forefront. And oh yeah....it is a rockin' EV that goes and goes. Very pleased -- except for the driver's seat (and I'll live with that). I look forward to driving it every morning and evening. Love not buying gas, getting oil changes, and (if I understand correctly) probably having brakes that will last the life of the car. And it is kind of from Detroit? Who woulda thunk? Not a flashy car, not really a show off car, simply an American vehicle of real promise and substance. Bravo Chevy....you have pleasantly surprised me (about time)!
I am going to be honest here. I NEVER drove the Bolt EV. I rented a Tesla Model S for the weekend and having realized that size was not for my family (we fit comfortably on a model X but cannot afford it), I went for a Bolt right away. However they only had one in the lot that was already sold and driving it was out of the question. I sat on it. I closed the deal right then and went for the 2018 premium with everything. I am just waiting to receive news of when it will be built... and I cannot wait!

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Torontonian69, did you happen to notice if ACC was available as an option on the 2018 Bolt EV? Online builder at chevy's site is still showing for the 2017 MY.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Still no 2018 orders or info yet. Up here in Canada, an 8 month wait is pretty standard and that means dealers stopped taking 2017 orders back in the spring. So, people had to put in reservations to make an order for a 2018 (I did that back in the beginning of July, but found a cancelled order); actual orders, info, and pricing is pending, so we basically make an "order" based on the 2017 info and then make the real one when the actual 2018s show up on the system.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just took some tattered jeans, folded them so they'd fit only the center cushion of the driver's seat, and put a ventilated seat cover/cushion over it to hide the mess. The seat feels fine to me!
I got a ventilated cushion, which still doesn't do the trick -- but your solution is simple and may work! Will try it tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Everyone's derriere is different. For me, the issue was the side bolsters on the seat pushing into my butt cheeks and thighs. This would often lead to numbing of either the left or right leg depending on how centered I was sitting (never could center perfectly and numb both my legs). Based on research of others' seat issues, I figured the easiest thing to first try before committing to modding the seat or purchasing a seat cushion was to elevate the center area of the seat by 1/4" to 1/2". I chose old jeans since they are quite firm and don't compress when folded and I had them handy as throw away rags. Folded them so they covered the center 12" of the driver's seat then placed an old 12V-powered ventilated/cooling seat cover I bought off amazon for my old 2017 Volt over the jean cushion. Doesn't look as OEM with the cooling seat cover (it's black), but at least I don't see the jeans cushion! For my 100 mile commutes (1.5 to 2 hours driving), I no longer have numbing in either leg nor do I find any discomfort.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Torontonian69, did you happen to notice if ACC was available as an option on the 2018 Bolt EV? Online builder at chevy's site is still showing for the 2017 MY.
Unfortunately the dealer did not even have the specs for the 2018 Bolt... since I ordered premier with everything he pretty much stated he is unaware of what will come as extra and there might be a few surprises design wise. Other than that he just said the price will be about 3% higher than the 2017 model...
As of today still nothing. I don?t get it. Not even the internet is updated with any 2018 information. I really think they are doing such a bad job marketing this car. It was supposed to be a hit and be selling like hot cakes.... maybe afraid of not being able to meet demand? I just worry that the lack of publicity might kill such a good car.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Unfortunately the dealer did not even have the specs for the 2018 Bolt... since I ordered premier with everything he pretty much stated he is unaware of what will come as extra and there might be a few surprises design wise. Other than that he just said the price will be about 3% higher than the 2017 model...
3% higher? Interesting, I would have expected it being a bit lower maybe.

As of today still nothing. I don?t get it. Not even the internet is updated with any 2018 information. I really think they are doing such a bad job marketing this car. It was supposed to be a hit and be selling like hot cakes.... maybe afraid of not being able to meet demand? I just worry that the lack of publicity might kill such a good car.
I didn't expect it to sell like hot cakes. BEV acceptance will still be a slow proposition, people don't like to try new things. At that I think it's been a great success, I'm seeing them all over the place. Anyhow I think they are probably playing the long game here. Over time the car will get more popular.

On the 2018 I heard something about that, they are planning on a late announcement, like Dec of this year. No obvious reason why, but you can bet they have their reasons. Not bad marketing on their part, the car is still selling, but you want to wait for the 2018 you'll have to wait a bit longer. I'm very curious as to what it'll have.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Weird that the dealer took your order on a 2018 Bolt that was 3% more expensive without any type of options list or anything. Seems like a bad faith offering since he's just promising you something that doesn't exist. You didn't put down a deposit, did you? I'd be weary of putting $$$ down on something that doesn't show up in an order catalog or something, especially if it's for a car.

I'm probably overly protective, but I find it odd your dealer let you sit in someone else's car. When I was shopping for my Bolt, all dealers moved any sold Bolt's off to the side and wouldn't let me open them up to look inside. They were clearly marked with signs saying SOLD to deter browsers. If it were my Bolt, I'd hate to have someone else sit in it while I was getting the money to pay the dealer.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Weird that the dealer took your order on a 2018 Bolt that was 3% more expensive without any type of options list or anything. Seems like a bad faith offering since he's just promising you something that doesn't exist. You didn't put down a deposit, did you? I'd be weary of putting $$$ down on something that doesn't show up in an order catalog or something, especially if it's for a car.

I'm probably overly protective, but I find it odd your dealer let you sit in someone else's car. When I was shopping for my Bolt, all dealers moved any sold Bolt's off to the side and wouldn't let me open them up to look inside. They were clearly marked with signs saying SOLD to deter browsers. If it were my Bolt, I'd hate to have someone else sit in it while I was getting the money to pay the dealer.
I totally understand your point and concerns and appreciate the feedback.
I am very skeptical as well when it comes to deals like this. But the dealer had valid reasons to allow me to sit in the car. Simply because it was a dealbreaker if I did not fit in it. It literally took 10 seconds. My problem with the Tesla - which I had pre-ordered, was that I was unable to get into the model S comfortably as it was. I was concerned about buying something that would be different without knowing If I?d fit in it or not.
The Bolt, I had read the 2018 model would look the same. So since they had one in their lot it was a matter of just trying it out. He told me he usually did not do this but because I was serious in getting one he saw no harm in it.
Also someone said the Bolts are everywhere. I live up north in Ontario, Canada and two days ago was the first time I ever saw one. I took a picture and sent it to my spouse and close friends stating that I had seen an unicorn...
LOL

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Weird that the dealer took your order on a 2018 Bolt that was 3% more expensive without any type of options list or anything.
Ah - you see, you don't understand the situation here in Canada. There are no Bolts at dealers - anywhere. In fact even the dealer's allocations are typically all spoken for.

Here, when you go to a Chevy dealer and "place an order", the order generally doesn't go to the factory right away because the dealer's allocations are all already spoken for by other customers. So you basically go onto a list so that when an allocation does become available, they can use it to put the order in for you. My dealer told me that when that happens they'll contact you and confirm all the details before actually placing the order. So at that point if the price has gone up you can back out or change what options you've decided on.

This is why Canadians are talking about having placed "orders" on 2018 model Bolts. They aren't real orders, they're just spots on a waiting list at the dealer. There's no info yet on pricing or options, and until GM announces them there will be no allocations or actual factory orders placed.

From time to time a customer who's ordered a Bolt decides to cancel, and if you're in the right place at the right time you can swoop in and grab one without such a long wait. I looked at and even went for a short test drive in one such vehicle in the summer, and I was ready to buy but it turned out that someone else had already put their dibs on the car. This month I "ordered" a Bolt, and by luck the dealer happened to have an existing order that was unspoken for - so the car could be here by December instead of having to wait until mid next year.

I'm probably overly protective, but I find it odd your dealer let you sit in someone else's car.
When there are no other cars on the lot to show a customer, what choice does the dealer have if a customer wants to actually see one in the flesh?

·
Registered
247 Posts
Ah - you see, you don't understand the situation here in Canada. There are no Bolts at dealers - anywhere. In fact even the dealer's allocations are typically all spoken for.

Here, when you go to a Chevy dealer and "place an order", the order generally doesn't go to the factory right away because the dealer's allocations are all already spoken for by other customers. So you basically go onto a list so that when an allocation does become available, they can use it to put the order in for you. My dealer told me that when that happens they'll contact you and confirm all the details before actually placing the order. So at that point if the price has gone up you can back out or change what options you've decided on.

This is why Canadians are talking about having placed "orders" on 2018 model Bolts. They aren't real orders, they're just spots on a waiting list at the dealer. There's no info yet on pricing or options, and until GM announces them there will be no allocations or actual factory orders placed.

From time to time a customer who's ordered a Bolt decides to cancel, and if you're in the right place at the right time you can swoop in and grab one without such a long wait. I looked at and even went for a short test drive in one such vehicle in the summer, and I was ready to buy but it turned out that someone else had already put their dibs on the car. This month I "ordered" a Bolt, and by luck the dealer happened to have an existing order that was unspoken for - so the car could be here by December instead of having to wait until mid next year.

When there are no other cars on the lot to show a customer, what choice does the dealer have if a customer wants to actually see one in the flesh?
Very well said! and... lucky you! :)
I am glad you are getting your Bolt ahead. Please do tell your experiences!
A little narrative from my visit to Chevy... the Bolt EV was a Premier with everything, just like what I ordered except for the colour (I ordered orange, this car was white), was a present from a son to his mother. But it was in the lot for a few weeks because the poor woman was recovering in the hospital from a serious condition.
I would not mind telling him the usual "if the person backs off, for whatever reason, let me know."
but I kept it quiet because in this situation unless the lady never left the hospital, the car had an owner.
So I am assuming she is ok. And relieved about it.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Wow, things are very different up in Canada. I couldn't imagine the suspense being on such a waiting list. Even worse that you can't really haggle price cause there's always someone else willing next in line.

Downright wrong this is the case in Canada. You folks have some of the best EV infrastructure I've seen. I've visited a few times in my Volt and was amazed at the FREE charging infrastructure up there in the Richmond and Vancouver area. So many free Level 2 and a few CCS stations, also FREE. Down here in Washington State, not a single free DCFC station except at a gracious BMW dealership that offers 30min of free DCFC.

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
Wow, things are very different up in Canada. I couldn't imagine the suspense being on such a waiting list. Even worse that you can't really haggle price cause there's always someone else willing next in line.
I'm not happy about the situation here, but at least we have it better than Europe. Apparently Norway has simply stopped taking orders for the Ampera-e-badged Bolt because the backlog has become several years long.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I remember walking in to my dealer (in Markham, where I work) October 2nd, with the intention of perhaps placing an order, not expecting to see a bolt, let alone drive one. They ended up having 2 on the lot, an LT and a Premier. The LT had a "solid deal", however the Premier was available and they allowed me to take it out. Problem being, I really only wanted the LT, so I placed an order. I have to admit, they were spot on with the 6 to 8 week wait (ended up taking 7). We had discussed the 2018 at the time, it ended up being n/a however.

No break on the price either. In fact, they really didn't seem particularly interested in selling them. Supply and demand at work, it would seem...

*shrug*

·
Registered
7,024 Posts
I remember walking in to my dealer (in Markham, where I work) October 2nd, with the intention of perhaps placing an order, not expecting to see a bolt, let alone drive one. They ended up having 2 on the lot, an LT and a Premier.
Wow, that was fortuitous!

I'm very curious about your avatar...

·
Registered
392 Posts
I could not have said it better 1600kms almost 1.5 months in and i am still smiling when driving. Hey maybe chevy should make an ad about the side effect and people seeing their doctor with a frozen smile on their face .....:p

1 - 20 of 21 Posts