Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife took our 2017 Bolt out of winter hibernation to have the dealer perform the safety recall repairs. She said it was making a new noise on our rural dirt road, that stopped when on pavement, but it returned at the dealer parking lot 35 miles away. She said it sounded like it was related to the tires and it varied with speed. The dealer gave her a written estimate to replace the Trans Range Control Modole (sic) for $1600, but said they were able to get Chevy to agree to cover half the cost. The GM letter says the part is out of warranty by 10 months (with 27,500 miles on the car).

What part of the car has a 3 year warranty that would include this part? I thought the 8 year bumper to bumper warranty was pretty good.

·
Registered
4,823 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome to the forum. Bumper to bumper is only 3 years. The battery and associated components are 8 year.
yeah, I figured that out after my post. I can't find the warranty book but the owners manual while mentioning the b2b warranty didn't actually describe it which caused my confusion. Still, I need to go back to the dealer to find out exactly what this part is. "trans" and the sound it is making, sound like a powertrain (5yr) issue and "control module" sounds like electronics which should be 8 years.

·
Registered
351 Posts
Transmission range control module.
Simply explain is shifter lever and attached electric step motor on propulsion unit with various sensors and redundancy safety inputs that give to ECM in what range is shifter......usually parking Bolt on incline without parking brake will make enough stress on locking mechanism that keeps EV from rolling....another issue if water or drink spill over the shifter .
But in my experience working on Bolt EV what poster has explained what is happening is not really what they are trying to charge for.
I may be wrong but I would try to make another visit to another dealership for another opinion and make sure that the next dealership have certified EV mechanic who is trained to work on GM EV .

1 - 5 of 5 Posts