Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is "Battery Conditioning" ? On the center display screen, "Energy Detail - Since Last Full Charge" screen, you see "Driving and Accessories", "Climate Settings" and "Battery Conditioning".
The Bolt EV owner's manual mentions Battery Conditioning on page 131, but does not elaborate on what Battery Conditioning is.
What is it ?

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
OK. Thank you Bro1999. BTW. My electrician has evaluated the 50 amp service currently available in my garage. (it was used to power a ceramic artist's kiln). The Clipper Creek HCS-50P, Plug-in 40 Amp Level 2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 6-50 plug, with 25 ft cable will be delivered next week. And the plan is to have the EVSE in place and ready to go for when I drive home the Bolt EV a few months from now. Although I am committed to acquiring a Bolt EV, my thinking is that Chevrolet will have a more attractive lease program in the near future.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I think it's going to be based on the dealership and when your state starts getting the Bolt. Can't recall which site, but I was reading about an editor who went to various Chevy dealerships to see if they can get a good deal on the Bolt. Most of the smaller, out of the way ones gave him good deals.

Maybe call around even if the dealership isn't the closest to you and see what they can offer.

·
Registered
979 Posts
The Clipper Creek HCS-50P, Plug-in 40 Amp Level 2 EVSE, 240V, NEMA 6-50 plug, with 25 ft cable will be delivered next week.
The Tesla installation guide recommends NEMA 14-50 outlet. What’s the difference between the NEMA 6-50 and the NEMA 14-50 ?

·
Registered
118 Posts
Cehjun: On dedicated circuits, both are 50 amp circuits, for an EV charging station, either one will work, since the neutral is not used in the charger.
NEMA 6 device offer three-wire grounding devices with two hots and a ground.
NEMA 14 device offer four-wire grounding devices with two hots, a neutral and a ground.

·
Registered
979 Posts
Very good DrZip. So for a DYI-ish installation will the following work and get approved by the local safety authority, assuming a 30 to 40 amp EVSE ? :

240v 50A breaker in the service panel, 6/2 (3-wire) cable from service panel thru a hammer-drilled (about ¾”dia) hole in the foundation to the garage, to a NEMA 6-50 or NEMA 14-50 outlet in garage, to a male 50A plug attached to more 6/2 cable routed on the garage rafters and down the wall to the EVSE ?

Thinking I’d like to do the “rough-in” myself. Then try to find an approved licensed electrician who’d come over and do the final hook-up very quickly (cheaply) and put the materials cost on his bill to me. And get me the safety authority certification & cost on my bill as well.

Thinking this will minimize my cost, avoid strangers banging around in my house/messing in my finished basement while setting up to get gov’t rebate to the extent possible…

·
Registered
118 Posts
IMHO: Should meet code, and work out both legally and functionally, if the total distances are of the wire is under 200' from panel to the box in garage, and the exposed wires, if any, are in conduit in the garage or any living space. 3 wires for the NEMA 6-50 only (NEMA 14-50 requires 4 wires)
Good luck

·
Registered
979 Posts
Great ! I'll have around 30 feet of cable in the basement and perhaps another 20-25 feet inside the garage. So no problem there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts