Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt EV Ioniq 5 reservation
1,719 Posts
Is it :a) OTA, b) at the Dealers, or c) available as a download, as was 14.4.2?

·
Registered
7,106 Posts
I just had my Bolt in yesterday to fix the freezing radio issue and ended up with version 14.5.0. Anyone know what was changed in this release? I can't seem to find it anywhere.
Do you have a 2017 or a 2018 Bolt? It wouldn't surprise me if the 2018's had a more recent software version than the 2017's, which may or may not be compatible with the older models.

·
Registered
1,378 Posts

·
Registered
676 Posts
ANyone know if the radio will connect to blue tooth audio source when car is started? Mine always switches back to radio and I must manually select bluetoof.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I found that it does go to radio.. but if you give the car a few seconds to boot, and play something from your phone, it will switch over automatically. I usually play podcasts or Pandora. I don't have to do anything in the infotainment system, just play on the phone.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I figured out today that I could hit the "siri" button and say "play music" and it'll switch. It /is/ easier than navigating the menu, but not ideal.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Burtman007, any noticed changes since the update?

Still curious what might have changed between 14.4.2 & 14.5.

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt 2LT
25 Posts
So i upgraded to 14.5.0 the most recent. Also tested out the video player for mp4s. Sadly, the answer is no. In fact the ONLY thing you can do is look at pictures now via USB. Maybe we should petition GM to bring that function back.

·
Registered
561 Posts
So i upgraded to 14.5.0 the most recent. Also tested out the video player for mp4s. Sadly, the answer is no. In fact the ONLY thing you can do is look at pictures now via USB. Maybe we should petition GM to bring that function back.
Was this something which could only be done when the car was stationary?

·
Registered
40 Posts
The video is available elsewhere, but if you have the MyChevrolet app, you can find a new video that explains the OTA process under "How Things Work." Basically, the download can only be initiated while the car is in park. The car can continue to download while in operation if you have background download enabled. The car uses the built-in 4G LTE to download. Once downloaded, installation of the update can only be initiated while the car is in park and the car will be disabled during installation. GM recommends not charging during installation.

·
Registered
303 Posts
I just did a check for OTA software updates with the Onstar wifi connection active (Basic service, no wifi hotspot connectivity, but radio connected to the Bolt's wifi signal). It came back with "your version is current", meaning it could phone home. I had never seen it do that before, but it's there now. So what I wrote below is uhhh... wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

From everything I've seen, the car does not "use the built-in 4G LTE to download" SW updates You have to have an "internet" connection on the radio [yes, that's weird but this is GM after all, not Tesla]. For those of us who don't pay to use the Onstar wifi hotspot system (via ATT 4GLTE), that means you have to connect the radio to your own wifi hotspot. Having Onstar Basic service let's the car talk to GM and the MyChevy Apps via the 4G LTE connection, but that alone doesn't support SW downloads. Please correct me if I have this wrong....

·
Registered
2022 Chevy Bolt 2LT
25 Posts
I just did a check for OTA software updates with the Onstar wifi connection active (Basic service, no wifi hotspot connectivity, but radio connected to the Bolt's wifi signal). It came back with "your version is current", meaning it could phone home. I had never seen it do that before, but it's there now. So what I wrote below is uhhh... wrong. Sorry for the confusion.

From everything I've seen, the car does not "use the built-in 4G LTE to download" SW updates You have to have an "internet" connection on the radio [yes, that's weird but this is GM after all, not Tesla]. For those of us who don't pay to use the Onstar wifi hotspot system (via ATT 4GLTE), that means you have to connect the radio to your own wifi hotspot. Having Onstar Basic service let's the car talk to GM and the MyChevy Apps via the 4G LTE connection, but that alone doesn't support SW downloads. Please correct me if I have this wrong....

You are incorrect with this. GM says on there forums the updates will be released over the 4g lte connections on a rolling basis. I am gonna guess they will do it in batches via vin. The requirements are.

1. Be connected to the 4g network ( I assume wifi will also suffice.)
2. When prompted accept update. If you do not see below.
3. Unplug the charger and be stationary and in park to preform the update. (you may drive while DLing it)
4. If you refuse the update or it fails. You will have to go to a Chevy service department to update the system.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I just updated to 14.5 from a USB stick, no problems. No issues with weird battery numbers or any of that. Only obvious difference is that Waze stopped working, and now hangs - probably needs removal/reinstallation. Google Maps still works.
No obvious improvements, either...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.