Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The 2015 Chevy Bolt is expected to have a range of more than 200 miles, and that is all-electric range. We will see if that promise becomes a reality, but that is what is expected. And all that for $30,000.

·
Registered
264 Posts
The 2015 Chevy Bolt is expected to have a range of more than 200 miles, and that is all-electric range. We will see if that promise becomes a reality, but that is what is expected. And all that for $30,000.
The Bolt is an EV, so its not just electric range, its total range :D;)

·
Registered
786 Posts
GM has two and a half years before selling the Bolt. I give them two years just for polishing the exterior design and refining the interior and powertrain design. By then, it must have the SAE J1772 DC Fast Charge socket so it follows what the Spark EV was lacking. The concept only had the AC connector socket, and the DC adds just two large pin sockets below the AC connector (covered with an orange cap). Fast DC charging is a must for such a large battery (estimated to hold 50 kWh).

Edit:Why does the time stamp show 5:00 PM? I am at the Atlantic Time Zone (AST) and I posted this at 1:00 PM, not 5:00 PM! Have someone check the time at the host server.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Pretty sure the time stamp has to do with the settings in your profile. You can choose your time zone.

You are saying that this vehicle won't go on sale for at leas another two and a half years? So summer 2017? That is a while off. I hope they are able to make things happen sooner.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I wsh GM can build and sell the Bolt sooner, but it does take time. The Chevy Volt concept appeared in 2008, and the first pre-production image apperared at the end of 2009, a year before the production began, and its first sale was in November 2010 for the 2011 model year.

If we use the same example, the first pre-production image will be by the end of next year (2016), and the first production will be summer of 2017 for the 2018 model year. But GM can use the experienecs of the Volt and the Spark Ev, so it can do it by the end of 2016 and offer it as a mid-2016 model, just like Ford did with the first Mustang in mid-1964.

And it will beat Tesla's Model 3 by a year!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
That all makes sense. The end of 2016 would be great timing. It seems to me that technology is progressing more quickly than I had expected in the auto industry before as far as CF tech, battery range and automated driving systems. I have a feeling that by the time 2016 rolls along we will be hearing about future EVS that will be even more advanced.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts