Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I just noticed this.
What is this door giving access to on the left side of the lift gate?
On the right side is a handle for pulling down the lift gate. Sux to be left hand dominate I guess.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hah, really? Oh you're locked in the trunk, well take this screwdriver and... um.. wait. Let me pass it to you through the rear doors :D

That's good to know though, in case your car is without power and you need to open the tailgate.

·
Registered
186 Posts
A quarter, a key, or even your finer nail when you are desperate enough should be able to pry that open. I guess it has become a mandatory feature that any new cars must have.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
640 Posts
Sux to be left hand dominate I guess.
This is true of so, so many things. Things you wouldn't expect, and have no reason to be handed, often are.

For example, did you know that auto-flush sensors on most toilets are installed for right-handed people?

·
Registered
7 Posts
This is true of so, so many things. Things you wouldn't expect, and have no reason to be handed, often are.

For example, did you know that auto-flush sensors on most toilets are installed for right-handed people?
I discovered the other day that many tea packets are designed for right-handed people. In case you're wondering about this: on some/most packets there's a slot which you're supposed to pull to open the packet. If you pull with your right hand the front of the packet will be facing you. Pull with the left, and you're looking at the back of the packet.

·
Registered
640 Posts
What the heck is it about an auto-flush toilet that cares which hand you use? It's just a proximity sensor, right?
Exactly. There is no reason for it not to be dead-on. Yet it is often installed at an angle (at least when it is on top of the plumbing). When one wipes, one cannot help but move to one side or another...

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Back on topic why do we need an emergency pull cord for a car with no trunk? While cars with trunk DO have clearly marked emergency pull cords, this is not the case with the Bolt EV. I'm sure it is there solely to open the lift gate in the rare case you have zero battery power. Perhaps if after a collision and sensors open circuit breakers.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Well, let's say the doors are blocked after an accident, this would allow you to escape the vehicle.

·
Registered
4,398 Posts
Well, let's say the doors are blocked after an accident, this would allow you to escape the vehicle.
If all four passenger doors are blocked after an accident then I'd say that it's pretty unlikely that you'd be capable of getting to the rear hatch.

·
Registered
1,265 Posts
A friend in Mexico passed along this story, so I have no way to substantiate. It seems a young woman was driving through the hills. A flash flood filled an arroyo. She drove into the water. As the car was swept down, she was on her cellular phone screaming. When her car and body were found, she was still belted in. The belt release worked, the doors all could still be opened. She didn't save do anything to save herself, but still had the phone in her hand.

jack vines

·
Registered
115 Posts
The removable panel in the rear hatch must have another purpose. I removed the one in my 2018 Premier and there was nothing other than a hard to reach electrical connection underneath.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Back on topic why do we need an emergency pull cord for a car with no trunk?
Watch this Mythbusters episode:

Almost all cars sink front down first and I imagine the Bolt would too. So you have to move to the back as it floods and sinks. You need to be able to open the back hatch or break the back glass to get out when it floods. Probably a more likely situation in a minivan than a Bolt. Yeah, seems unlikely, but it does happen.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts