Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My VersiCharge is 3 years and 3 months old. 2 weeks ago it stopped charging and showed red halo: ground fault. User manual recommendations don't help. Siemens Customer Service points out (1) I am out of warranty and (2) the mounting option I used, with receptacle behind charger, VOIDS THE WARRANTY if the unit is outdoors (see page 15 of manual). Just thought others may want to be aware of this.
So what's the best low-cost charger for outdoor use that might last more than 3 years - any opinions?thanks

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
any opinions?
replace the innards of your existing unit would possibly be the cheapest:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
replace the innards of your existing unit would possibly be the cheapest:
Intriguing! Have you tried it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
103 Posts
Well you still have the stock charge that came with car, do you not? I would make an adaptor to turn it into a pseudo L2 (240V 15A, or 3.6kw) charger. It will probably do the trick if you plug it in overnight everyday. It will buy you time to look for a deal.

The blink charger for $400 doesn't sound bad, if you get to use the $300 charging credit, even without the tax rebate. It is not quite free, but cheap. I will do it.

-TL

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,000 Posts
Intriguing! Have you tried it?
I have not. I've done similar type of lobotomies of other dead hardware though. In fact, the computer I'm using to type this is a Gateway computer that originally ran on Windows Vista. All that's left is the case, keyboard, and mouse. I've replaced the motherboard (twice), video card (3 times), and power supply (twice). The last iteration was built to run a virtual reality setup. I'm house bound with the pandemic and having a ball playing Valve's Alyx.

If I had a dead Versicharge, I'd probably consider doing something like that. The case and cable are paid for, and if it's all wired in, might be worth trying to replace the innards in place. I did something similar to an air conditioner controller that fried a relay. Found a replacement controller, but the newer model had a different enclosure. It was much easier to replace the insides than trying to replace the enclosure with all its conduit connections.

Would be interesting to use parts from OpenEVSE.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well you still have the stock charge that came with car, do you not? I would make an adaptor to turn it into a pseudo L2 (240V 15A, or 3.6kw) charger. It will probably do the trick if you plug it in overnight everyday. It will buy you time to look for a deal.

The blink charger for $400 doesn't sound bad, if you get to use the $300 charging credit, even without the tax rebate. It is not quite free, but cheap. I will do it.

-TL

Can you say more about pseudo L2 - where have you seen this?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have not. I've done similar type of lobotomies of other dead hardware though. In fact, the computer I'm using to type this is a Gateway computer that originally ran on Windows Vista. All that's left is the case, keyboard, and mouse. I've replaced the motherboard (twice), video card (3 times), and power supply (twice). The last iteration was built to run a virtual reality setup. I'm house bound with the pandemic and having a ball playing Valve's Alyx.

If I had a dead Versicharge, I'd probably consider doing something like that. The case and cable are paid for, and if it's all wired in, might be worth trying to replace the innards in place. I did something similar to an air conditioner controller that fried a relay. Found a replacement controller, but the newer model had a different enclosure. It was much easier to replace the insides than trying to replace the enclosure with all its conduit connections.

Would be interesting to use parts from OpenEVSE.
Thanks for the tip but was not looking into a major project right now. You're right that the case and cable being valuable.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Just buy a juice box...had mine for since they were a kickstarter with no problems at all. So much so I bought a second one.

·
Registered
526 Posts
I'm on my second charger already, and vow to replace that one when it poops out with the cheapest, simplest charger available. I mean, really, what does a charger cost to make? $10?

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
I think the bulk of the cost is in the cable itself, so that can be utilized with any controller. These things are dead simple, so I'd crack a malfunctioning one open and see what went bad.

Ground fault? Probably a loose or corroded connection internally.

... my programmable coffee maker stopped working a couple months ago and all I did to fix it was open it up, thoroughly wash the electronics in hot water, and let it dry for several days.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think the bulk of the cost is in the cable itself, so that can be utilized with any controller. These things are dead simple, so I'd crack a malfunctioning one open and see what went bad.

Ground fault? Probably a loose or corroded connection internally.

... my programmable coffee maker stopped working a couple months ago and all I did to fix it was open it up, thoroughly wash the electronics in hot water, and let it dry for several days.
Good idea!

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Really appreciate this suggestion - will try it! It's kind of a leap of faith, as the L1 charger that came with the car says 110V on it, not 100-220V as on, say, Apple products.
The OEM charger that comes with the Bolt works just fine on 240V. I've been charging my car with it that way nightly for 2-1/2 years now.

·
Registered
2,512 Posts

-TL

To be clear, the OEM EVSE that comes with the car will charge at 12A on 240V, or 2.88kW, maximum.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I once saw a picture of the Clipper Creek circuit board inside our OEM chargers and it said 240 volts on it. Have mine rigged with an adapter and zero problems. Remember, no white needed.
Just black, red and ground.
Also Clipper Creek has refurbished available for a lot less than new but only one year warranty. Check out their website.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts