Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
And what would you pay for? Put a $ next to ones you'd pay for (max price you'd pay)

• Adaptive Cruise Control $200-$400
  • Better charging control (1) Free
  • Auto start radio control Free
  • Less chatty OnStar (it doesn't need to say "Goodbye" for gods sake) Free
  • In auto navigation route planning Free
  • Flac support (without having to rename them to wav(2) Free
(1) set actual accept current down to 1A, set time based levels of current
(2) in the FOSS license list I saw that FLAC was compiled in so knew it was there, this is a great trick I found here on how to get it to accept

·
Registered
223 Posts
And what would you pay for? Put a $ next to ones you'd pay for (max price you'd pay)

• Adaptive Cruise Control $200-$400
  • Better charging control (1) Free
  • Auto start radio control Free
  • Less chatty OnStar (it doesn't need to say "Goodbye" for gods sake) Free
  • In auto navigation route planning Free
  • Flac support (without having to rename them to wav(2) Free
(1) set actual accept current down to 1A, set time based levels of current
(2) in the FOSS license list I saw that FLAC was compiled in so knew it was there, this is a great trick I found here on how to get it to accept
In the YouTube video with the Bolt's lead engineer he says ACC would require the Volt's blended braking mechanism. And that was not the direction they wanted to take the car in. So ACC isn't coming with just software.

He did say that they "over validated" the DCFC charge rate but left it at 50 kWh because that's the fastest that's out there right now. So I guess if they can up the DCFC charge rate through software I'd pay for that.

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I'd pay as much as around $1000 for adapative cruise control, although since it will require actual new hardware in the car it won't be able to be added after the fact.

·
Registered
624 Posts
- control of the windows from the remote
- ability to turn off auto headlights (make them full time manual control)
- automatic parking brake engage

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
Ability to voice-to-text via Android auto (and read my text messages to me while driving). {Or can we already do this and I just don't know how?} Isn't there an Android app that does this?

·
Registered
782 Posts
  • Being able to set the rate from 1A-32A
  • Being able to control it from the app (not just 8A/12A) but start/stop, times, etc
this +

GPS aware settings - same settings at same location
control % of battery level to recharge to
revised schedule configuration user interface - current one is too complex - schedule is GPS based
better yet take a page from Ford's software, and figure out the schedule simply based on my rate code for my energy provider (already shipping in fords)
shows current amps/watts during charging session

·
Registered
24 Posts
Ability to voice-to-text via Android auto (and read my text messages to me while driving). {Or can we already do this and I just don't know how?} Isn't there an Android app that does this?
Yes, Android auto has Google Assistant built-in. You can summon Google assistant by either long pressing the phone button on the wheel or tapping the microphone symbol on the Android Auto screen. Then just say "Send a text to..." and follow the voice prompts. When you receive a text message (or WhatsApp, Hangouts), a notification pops up on the AA screen and gives you the option to have the text read and reply after.
You can do a lot more with GA through voice commands: navigation "Navigate to address", phone calls, stream music from Google Play Music or Spotify, ask about weather etc. Or if you have it linked to a smart hub at home, you can control the lights in your house from your car, open/close the garage door etc. - everything through voice commands.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'd like to see better charging control as well. On the parking brake, borkbork, doesn't it already do that? When I put my LT into park on my hilly driveway it automatically engages the parking brake, and disengages when I put the vehicle back into D/L.

My list; the top two I miss Every. Single. Day.
  • Ability to control the windows from the remote
  • Infotainment system remembers previously selected source
  • More useful things to display on the infotainment home screen (analog clock? really?)
  • Put clock display and outside temp in the gauge cluster as they disappear (temp) and move from the at-a-glance position (clock) while using CarPlay

·
Registered
31 Posts
I'd like to see the car tell you what percent is left on the battery.
The app will, but you have to start that very slow thing up and crawl to get to where it will tell you.
It was a little surprising, there is not a dash readout regarding remaining battery.
Remaining miles, is great, but that is admittedly just a slush of it could be from this many miles to this many miles.
Why not have it also say, X percent remaining?

Adaptive cruise would be stellar. 500.00
On board navigation would be a great thing to have as part of the package.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Better control on the automatic headlights. They always seem to come on too late (when it's way too dark) and they take too long to come on when triggered. With the tunnel I go through everyday, i'm half-way through before the lights come on automatically. I've taken to turning them on and off myself rather than wait.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Celos said:
...Put clock display and outside temp in the gauge cluster as they disappear (temp) and move from the at-a-glance position (clock) while using CarPlay
^^Excellent idea #1 ^^
PaddyPatrick said:
...I'd like to see the car tell you what percent is left on the battery.
...It was a little surprising, there is not a dash readout regarding remaining battery.
...Why not have it also say, X percent remaining?
^^Excellent idea #2 ^^

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
PaddyPatrick;

"I'd like to see the car tell you what percent is left on the battery."

The car has some sort of coulomb counter. Any such device is approximate, and the better ones recalibrate from time to time, to allow for temperature, etc. The green bars on the left of the dash seem to come as close as is possible to get. There are 20 bars, each approximately 5%, or 3 kWh. They are pretty accurate as far as I can tell. Giving them a number would not increase the accuracy.

·
Registered
355 Posts
- control of the windows from the remote
- ability to turn off auto headlights (make them full time manual control)
- automatic parking brake engage
If you mean being able to put all the windows down from the remote, I would love that as I was pretty bummed when I found out this did not work like it did with both of my Volts.
The headlights are able to be turned off but the drl's still work.
My parking brake turns on automatically most of the time when put in park and I turn it off if not on a hill.

·
Registered
1,496 Posts
HTML:
PaddyPatrick;

"I'd like to see the car tell you what percent is left on the battery."

The car has some sort of coulomb counter. Any such device is approximate, and the better ones recalibrate from time to time, to allow for temperature, etc. The green bars on the left of the dash seem to come as close as is possible to get. There are 20 bars, each approximately 5%, or 3 kWh. They are pretty accurate as far as I can tell. Giving them a number would not increase the accuracy.
AND, the "Flow" display shows the same data: 20 green "batteries" each representing 3 kWh, or 5% of 60 kWh.

·
Registered
624 Posts
If you mean being able to put all the windows down from the remote, I would love that as I was pretty bummed when I found out this did not work like it did with both of my Volts.
yep.
The headlights are able to be turned off but the drl's still work.
yeah, but you have to change it to manual every time you turn on the car.
My parking brake turns on automatically most of the time when put in park and I turn it off if not on a hill.
that's strange, i've never had mine come on automatically.

·
Registered
592 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The more I think of it the more I believe the most likely update sooner or later is in car maps/mapping. Barra already promised it, the car is set up for Infotainment OTA and this is probably their most requested feature. Here's how it'll go

• In car mapping support
  • Shows up as an 'app' (like Settings, Camera, etc) and as a part of OnStar
  • The OnStar integration is that it will still allow you to call an advisor and a route will be downloaded for you
  • Kicker - all Bolt owners get 3 months free, after that you have to pay for OnStar Navigation to access the feature
  • Hit the map icon, a map comes up, you can find destinations, it shows range estimate accounting for outside air temp, elevations, driving history etc.
  • Go, and it gives you a top down view.
  • Kicker, you still get the turn by turn in the instrument panel, so you can navigate away from the maps
  • You still get voice
  • The route (and area?) downloads to the car
The one trick is that this likely would result in an OnStar OTA update and a Infotainment OTA update - and since OnStar has it's own app, perhaps it would just be available from there. They might opt for a separated approach that doesn't involve messing with OnStar.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts