Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
I'd say they definitely need something with inspiring style. The Tesla S is a very nice looking car regardless of power source. I don't know if it needs to be a sedan, but definitely something that will turn a head or two. The original Volt concept had that kind of appeal, but unfortunately did not have the proper aerodynamics baked into the design to make it into production. I think either of Buick's last 2 concepts (Avenir or Avista) would fill the bill.

·
Registered
428 Posts
What is a Cadillac EL4? What is a Buick Electra?

Are these actually related to models, or are they just potential names for future models?

·
Registered
786 Posts
What is a Cadillac EL4? What is a Buick Electra?

Are these actually related to models, or are they just potential names for future models?
The Cadillac ELR is a Volt badging, so the EL4 can be a Bolt EV badging, following Cadillac's new model labeling (two letters and a number). As an example, the CT6 is a new luxury sedan that will have a plug-in hybrid version using a RWD version of the Volt's FWD powertrain.

The Buick Electra did exist and was once the best Buick model (search the web for that name), so it would be appropiate for a Buick badging on an electric vehicle.

As I see it, GM will eventually electrify all the models, starting with all the new Cadillacs (the CT6 is the first). There is a Chevy Malibu Hybrid for 2016 which also uses the same Volt's powertrain but with a smaller battery. The Bolt EV and its new platform (nicknamed "the skateboard") can become more new GM models in the near future.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I don't think that Cadillac will happen but maybe the Buick. I just know they are retiring the ELR this year.

·
Registered
639 Posts
EL4 would most interest me and anyone that might have capital to get a Tesla. If there's going to be one smart EV move for Cadillac, that's going to be it, aside from full and mid-size sedans of course.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I think they definitely need a racy version of the Bolt. My current vehicle has completely useless hood scoops (Pontiac G8 V6), but they somehow make the car look better to me. The Chevy SS sedan is the same basic car (though upgraded) but with no hood scoops and it looks plain. People jokingly call it an Impalabu. I think it would be really neat if they offered a sport package with magnetic ride control and a clear portion on the hood with a Tesla coil dancing around. Make mine blue so I can call it the "Blueberry". Sean and Gus would be proud.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
If they came out with an electric Corvette Stingray, I would be so happy. Doesn't have to perform like the 2016 model, just look similar to it with those racy lines.

·
Registered
786 Posts
If they came out with an electric Corvette Stingray, I would be so happy. Doesn't have to perform like the 2016 model, just look similar to it with those racy lines.

I trust GM engineers are quietly developing the first "mule" (or Alpha model) of a hybrid Corvette. We may see it as the C8 in 2018 as a 2019 model.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Tesla s model S is first and foremost stunningly beautiful and a high performance sports sedan...then it's electric vehicle with over 200 mile range.

Gm has in my opinion technical development and I have a strong desire to buy GM products...but I would not purchase a bolt ....and I am waiting for a Porsche Macan inspired AWD cuv or even fwd cuv from gmc or Cadillac whichever gm decides to do.

Zero to 60 mph is faster than the highly regarded ford fiesta ST...so the performance is there...

I would have preferred a sport cuv look more along the lines of the Porsche Macan and big @ss wheels and tires...for both looks and handling...

Gm can charge me 45 grand and I'll rush to sign on the dotted line....(even after the government subsidy)

I wouldn't mind if the range was lowered slightly because of aero dynamic shifts and larger tires...

·
Registered
322 Posts
If the Bolt EV sells well, they might add an AWD variant in a few years and/or rebadge it for another brand. Even if they did significant medalwork changes for another brand, it's still the same platform. They will want to reuse the platform as much as possible before developing another EV platform. I can't see GM developing a second EV platform for many years, at least 3-4 years even under optimistic sales scenarios.

·
Registered
428 Posts
I'm guessing the next thing we would see is a small CUV as an EV. It's a super popular segment and there aren't really any full EV models in that segment yet.

I did see stuff out today about the Opel Ampera-e, the European version of the Bolt. It will be built in United States in the same facility as the Bolt. It will go on sale in 2017.
This info comes from Automobil Produktion.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I wish I lived close to the production facility, would be cool to spot these on the truck being moved to a shipping port. Can't be too hard to spot them just from design alone, then there are differences like colors and wheels we should expect to see.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
I would like to see an electric full sized SUV. Maybe GM can make one to go up against Tesla's Model X for those who want a large electric SUV but can't afford the large price tag.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The Bolt is my first domestic vehicle purchase ever, saying something as a lifelong car guy, and I certainly hope that the big three get their collective heads out of their asses and start putting this technology into their gas guzzling trucks and SUVs (that have more room to house batteries anyway). Have been sharing this opinion with friends and relatives in the auto industry for years. Finally starting to happen in minivans with the Chrysler Pacifica hybrid (but no AWD in that version of course, so a deal breaker). Maybe an improved Volvo hybrid, Audi, or VW Atlas down the road? I've been beating on Ford for years to electrify their aged Exploder, not holding my breath anymore.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
An electric SUV would be nice, but they'll have to fit more batteries in there to move a bigger body and it'll add more weight to the car. I think it's in the future, just not yet.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Yeah, I'm with you. It will be an "as battery technology improves" kind of thing, but there technically is proportionately bigger space for batteries, even though more would be needed. And since these would often be family vehicles (i.e., family road trips), they don't have to be full EVs, just hybrids with a 250 mile electric only range. Hopefully AWD diesel electric hybrids, but I can wish. For now, it's whatever Audi Q7 variant is coming out, the Volvo XC90, and the hybrid version of the upcoming VW Atlas. Pickup trucks, however, have plenty of battery space, are often lighter than SUVs, would benefit weight distribution wise to have the battery in back, and generally would have a shorter range needed.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts