Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've only had an electric car for a few months, but an electric push lawnmower for just about 8 years. It's old enough that I had to do the upgrade from lead acid to lithium myself. It's a somewhat underpowered 24V brushed motor model. It's in need of a major overhaul now, needs bearings, brushes, and some welding repair (again) on the handle. It will be temporarily retired, repaired, and then converted into an ArduMower later on.

In the meantime, I'm replacing the next batch of outdoor tools with cordless electric. A push mower, leaf blower, snow blower, pole saw, and both my wife's and my chainsaws are all being changed over this year. The new crop of 80V lithium tools is more than adequate to replace the finicky high maintenance gasoline versions of these tools. As ethanol contaminated fuel has become virtually impossible to avoid locally, these tools have become much more of a headache over time. I have a friend who has just set up an ethanol separating station for his yard tools, but I decided it was just time to get off the dino juice everywhere and anywhere I could.

I have a motorcycle in the garage awaiting its new drivetrain. A solar kitted RV/camping van is also being built out in my back yard. A solar/cargo trailer is next up after that.

What have you, or will you, electrify in the future?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have a yard guy, I work so much it is cheaper for me to just work a few extra hours and pay him to do a better job than me. However, if a complete electric yard landscaping company came into my area they would get my business.

I am trying to get my wife to trade in her Ford Explorer and get a used Model S for the family car on longer drives. They are under $50K now and I would rather have a used Model S than a Model 3. I am going to get solar panels next year and use my Bolt tax credit to help reduce that cost. I will never buy another item in my life that needs oil or gas. 18,000 miles with an EV has completely changed my mindset.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Are you talking battery powered or just electric? I'm battery for everything except my chainsaw as I have not a battery powered one with an 18" bar that gets good reviews. That chainsaw is the only reason I've stopped at a gas station for the last 3 years. :D

·
Registered
233 Posts
At some point, when the prices drop and battery capacity improves, electric motorcycle(s) will be procured. We have 5 in the garage right now, so there will probably continue to be gas bikes in our stable (definitely the track bike), but I'd like to change my two wheel commuting to electric power.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you talking battery powered or just electric? I'm battery for everything except my chainsaw as I have not a battery powered one with an 18" bar that gets good reviews. That chainsaw is the only reason I've stopped at a gas station for the last 3 years. :D
You don't like the Kobalt/Greenworks 18" saws? Those are the one's I'm getting. along with the waist pack for the battery. It depends on how "good" of a 18" saw you want though - these seem to review about on par with the consumer 40-45cc models.

I think battery or plug in electric tools count, right? Same offset of a engine-based tool either way!

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
At one point I had had enough of "small engines", because they are just too bothersome to maintain.

As of now, the following non-automotive gadgets are completely degassed:

Chain saw (cable)
Edge trimmer (battery)
Weed-whacker (battery)
Lawn mower (battery)
Log splitter (cable)

(can't figure out how to degasify emergency generators)

That said, we added a gasoline-powered tractor to preserve the gas-electro balance in the universe. Yes, elegant ladies do drive cool tractors and perform other ladylike chores while wearing tasteful dresses.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts
Two electric bicycles with 44K miles accumulated over six years, so far. An 80 volt, 21" push mower, replaced the 21" gas push mower two seasons ago. Electric weed whip, and chainsaw too. The Bolt became our car four months ago, replacing a 34 mpg, 4 cylinder. All LED lights for the last 4 years. Pay extra to our electric coop for "green" energy. Passive solar, earth bermed house for 39 years. Still use more energy and resources than a typical Japanese citizen. More discouraged with humanity with every passing year.

·
Registered
3,822 Posts
I went electric with my toothbrush. Can't believe I put up with that gas powered one for so long!

I've thought about going electric for lawn mowers, but the thought of dealing with a long cord seems like a hassle, and batteries are expensive and have to be replaced at some point. Then it seems most electric mowers have a smaller cutting path, and I don't want to spend more time on my yard. Finally, I leave my gas mowers out in the rain all year, and they never need any maintenance except to have fresh gas put in when spring rolls around.

My friend has an electric chainsaw, and it didn't quite last long enough to cut down a smallish tree. Electric would be totally inappropriate for medium to large trees, or multiple trees.

I just used an electric (corded) pole saw, and it did the job. I see no reason to own a gas powered one.

My weedeater is NiCad powered, which is to say underpowered. I prefer the gas versions as they run much longer, with more power.

I prefer 240v pressure washers over gasoline since they shut off the motor when not spraying and run more quietly.

·
Registered
5,404 Posts

That said, we added a gasoline-powered tractor to preserve the gas-electro balance in the universe. Yes, elegant ladies do drive cool tractors and perform other ladylike chores while wearing tasteful dresses.
Three of our neighbors have battery backup with their PV panels. We get by with propane heat, and cooking for up to a week. Use the neighbors PV/battery for charging phones, computers, showers...great neighbors for 39 years. One of them gave their 21" electric push mower to their kids, and bought a Roybi this spring.

https://www.ryobitools.com/products/details/75-ah-electric-riding-lawn-mower

·
Registered
59 Posts
With the Bolt, you've got a 60KWh battery pack just sitting there to replace the emergency generator. You just need a good inverter.

OK, so this won't run an air conditioner and it won't kick on automatically, but it will keep your fridge cold, your lights on, etc. I also have solar with an integrated outlet, so I can charge the car during the day to more than make up for any use at night. Otherwise you'd have to go somewhere else to charge the car and bring the power back to the house.

Otherwise, I have mostly corded lawn tools: weedwacker, hedge trimmer, chainsaw. If they ever die I'll go cordless. Lawnmower is an old-school reel push mower, which is fine for my tiny patch of grass.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
I've only had an electric car for a few months, but an electric push lawnmower for just about 8 years. It's old enough that I had to do the upgrade from lead acid to lithium myself. It's a somewhat underpowered 24V brushed motor model. It's in need of a major overhaul now, needs bearings, brushes, and some welding repair (again) on the handle.
I've never liked the idea of battery powered tools. It seems to me that they're designed for obsolescence and will last only as long as you can buy replacement batteries - which is never very long.

My electric mower, complete with power cord, has been running for over 3 decades now. I've had to replace the brushes a couple of times and just recently I had to buy a new blade for it - but otherwise it's still a-truckin..

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I've thought about going electric for lawn mowers, but the thought of dealing with a long cord seems like a hassle, and batteries are expensive and have to be replaced at some point. Then it seems most electric mowers have a smaller cutting path, and I don't want to spend more time on my yard.

My friend has an electric chainsaw, and it didn't quite last long enough to cut down a smallish tree. Electric would be totally inappropriate for medium to large trees, or multiple trees.

I prefer 240v pressure washers over gasoline since they shut off the motor when not spraying and run more quietly.
I have a 110V pressure washer, as 240V would be nice on certain occasions!

The batteries on these 80V saws charge up in 25-30 minutes and last about the same as a tank of fuel on a gas saw. Wife and I usually are lolligaggin' enough to take longer than that, plus we got the larger 5ah batteries which should be about 2+ tanks of fuel worth. We take down dozens of dead/fall each year, I think we can manage productively with the electric, but time will tell. The lighter handheld weight and low vibration also sold me on the idea.

I think our electric mower is the same size as the gas ones, 21". The newer ones I think have just as much power, our old 24V was probably 80% of the base model gas ones.

I've never liked the idea of battery powered tools. It seems to me that they're designed for obsolescence and will last only as long as you can buy replacement batteries - which is never very long.

My electric mower, complete with power cord, has been running for over 3 decades now. I've had to replace the brushes a couple of times and just recently I had to buy a new blade for it - but otherwise it's still a-truckin..
The battery I built for our mower is 7+ years old LiFePO4 (original lead acid lasted only one season!), it still tests at very very close to 20ah, which was the original capacity. I think it might need replacing sometime around year 12 or 15, maybe... The Ardumower conversion will probably put extra strain on it. I still am using all the original 3 lithium batteries I got for my old Ryobi cordless tools, none have died yet. They were the first ones they came out with, 2010 I think. They were older than the ones they did the recall on in 2013... Overall I'm pretty happy with battery life and longevity with well managed lithium so far! The Ryobi tools I own are all old NiCd models from around 1999. The newest batteries made are still compatible with those tools, which is nice!

We also have two home-converted mountain bikes I forgot about that are electric, 52V 12ah 18650 packs with cellman (from Endless Sphere) geared hub motors! I like a mix of electric and non-electric bicycles depending on the task. Electric is great for speed and haulage!

·
Premium Member
787 Posts
Toothbrush (battery)
Chainsaw (corded)
Branch/hedge trimmer (corded)
Weed whacker (corded)

Reactions: Dimitrij

·
Registered
3,630 Posts
want to go electric on the house for heating to get off propane. hope to pull off next year an install of a geo-thermal heat pump system.

·
Registered
204 Posts
I have an electric motorcycle (41K miles over last 4 years). Goes 100 miles/charge in town and 60 on the freeway. It will take most bikes off the line with ease: 0-30 mph in 1.5 sec. My experience with it led directly to the Bolt.

I helped test the design of the Cleverchimp Stokemonkey bicycle conversion approach and love it. I'm running the hub motor through a Rohloff rear end and it will haul 400 lbs up a 30% grade. Four LiPo packs mounted low give it a 60 mile range. I have a sign on the back: "OIL IS FOR SISSIES".

https://clevercycles.com/cleverchimp-stokemonkey-human-electric-hybrid-drive

1 - 20 of 57 Posts