Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We've been seeing comparison reviews and what journalists think of both brands, but what about actual owners and their thoughts of the Bolt? MotorTrend pulled up their pants and took the Bolt to the Tesla Design building and after that they invited Tesla owners to take a look.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Tesla Model T was the electric car of the Car of the Century as that was their first mass market one with a decent range. The Chevy Bolt is a game changer because it's affordable and it came out first. There's plenty of room for more than one affordable long range EV, maybe when the Model 3 comes out, it'll win the award too.

·
Registered
786 Posts
I read that article. The Tesla Motor designers and employees were elated and excited to see and touch the Chevy Bolt EV for the first time. They had NO BAD COMMENTS about it, but only a few employees admitted that they will buy one (kept their loyalty to their brand).

It is a shining example of how to treat a competition, not like many "fanboys" who glorify the non-existing Model 3 over the real Bolt EV. We have to be the same for any other competion BEV because as more come into the market, greater is the public acceptance. Just as personal computers and cellphones took years to break into the business and home markets, then the tablets and smartphones took over, the EV will take time to enter and take over the gas engine markets.

I recommend everyone who does buy any EV, even a basic hybrid from GM or Ford, to give test rides and drives, and become a local salesperson for the future. Then do factual and positive comparisons between brands so all the EVs are favorable. Send out messages and pictures of your EV to all your friends and family, and congratulate them publicly when they buy their own, and become converts to the EV following.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cannot figure out how to 'like' this post on my phone so I will do so the old fashioned way by saying that I wholeheartedly applaud your sentiments. Well said.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Since I can't fit a Tesla into my driveway, a smaller EV is my only route if I want to remain an EV user. I currently lease a 2013 Nissan Leaf with a very attractive lease rate resulting in a net cost of about $25 bucks a month considering my savings in gas costs. I may just buy the Bolt.

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you have a Leaf already, I assume you have the charging equipment needed too. That's just one less thing to worry about when getting a Bolt and all you 'll have to worry about is the monthly payments.

I'm just happy to see long range electric cars become more and more accessible to the general populace.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I read that article. The Tesla Motor designers and employees were elated and excited to see and touch the Chevy Bolt EV for the first time. They had NO BAD COMMENTS about it, but only a few employees admitted that they will buy one (kept their loyalty to their brand).

It is a shining example of how to treat a competition, not like many "fanboys" who glorify the non-existing Model 3 over the real Bolt EV. We have to be the same for any other competion BEV because as more come into the market, greater is the public acceptance. Just as personal computers and cellphones took years to break into the business and home markets, then the tablets and smartphones took over, the EV will take time to enter and take over the gas engine markets.

I recommend everyone who does buy any EV, even a basic hybrid from GM or Ford, to give test rides and drives, and become a local salesperson for the future. Then do factual and positive comparisons between brands so all the EVs are favorable. Send out messages and pictures of your EV to all your friends and family, and congratulate them publicly when they buy their own, and become converts to the EV following.
There's nothing wrong with wanting to stick to your brand you like so long as one isn't a douche about it. I know some here and on other Chevy forums who automatically slam anyone who doesn't like GM. That's as pathetic as any Tesla fanboy.

·
Registered
782 Posts
I own a Model S, Model X, and I'm thrilled with my shiny new Bolt - viva Electric cars - and please let competition push the boundaries for all of us. The Bolt is a major milestone car and kudos to Chevy for putting out what appears to be a quality product with an excellent feature set. I bought mine and it will do service in my EV fleet with my wife and myself driving our Tesla's and my family using the Bolt for all other tasks. The Model 3 is at least 1 year off (and I bet longer) and will not match the Chevy price point (oh they will have a teaser price that no one buys nor Tesla delivers)…

so far my only bolt complaints vs. Tesla

1. front seats could be improved
2. really no homelink chevy?
3. need the ability to set a specific charge time (I know they are options but I need more control to co-ordinate charging 3 EV's at my home)
4. need the ability to have more than one location specific charging schedule pricing plan
5. need the ability to override in software the charging amps for 240 volt charging - sometimes you plug into wonky chargers and dialing back the AMP 1 or 2 AMPs keep the breakers from popping

but so far I love the car and think it's a great product! I've shown many many people this car and they are seriously interested given price, performance, and quality of the feature set.

·
Registered
782 Posts
also kudos to Chevy on the infotainment system - I still prefer the Tesla's system, but given it only comes with the car it's a bit pricy - but the Chevy Bolt computer system is the first software system I've seen from an American car manufacture that doesn't suck and has some nice features - it also appears to support over the air updates (OTA) via WiFi or Cellular connection - if they've finally done that again Kudos - it appears the Bolt team has dragged Chevy (and hopefully the rest of the car industry) into the present/future…

with the Bolt, and Tesla (and hopefully the Porsche Mission E) the future for EV's is bright and I'm enthusiastic for all coverings - keep pushing each other to do better, and the best products will win my business!!

·
Registered
100 Posts
5. need the ability to override in software the charging amps for 240 volt charging - sometimes you plug into wonky chargers and dialing back the AMP 1 or 2 AMPs keep the breakers from popping

but so far I love the car and think it's a great product! I've shown many many people this car and they are seriously interested given price, performance, and quality of the feature set.
Dial back 1 or 2 amps? This statement will confuse people.
You mean from the 80% max that you should be at? 40A circuit is good for MAX Current 32A constant load. 30A Circuit, your EVSE MAX Current should be 24A.

If you're trying to charge at what the breaker says, it should pop after some time (or burn the house down).

Set the MAX current to 80%, look in the electrical forums. (Mine is set to 33A on a 40A circuit since I know the Bolt won't pull more than 32A anyway.)

·
Registered
782 Posts
Dial back 1 or 2 amps? This statement will confuse people.
You mean from the 80% max that you should be at? 40A circuit is good for MAX Current 32A constant load. 30A Circuit, your EVSE MAX Current should be 24A.

If you're trying to charge at what the breaker says, it should pop after some time (or burn the house down).

Set the MAX current to 80%, look in the electrical forums. (Mine is set to 33A on a 40A circuit since I know the Bolt won't pull more than 32A anyway.)
I've encountered some public chargers that have a 40 amp circuit and the car will pull 32 amps - but the breaker still pop'd - dialing back to 30 or 28 AMPs still allows you to charge a a decent rate but not pop the 40 amp breaker. As you roam around this great country of ours you'll find various forms of AC plugs - and not all of them are up to spec - having control over the AMP rate the car "pulls" lets you safely charge and works around some breakers that may have seen better days. This is particularly true in RV parks and camp grounds where the equipment has been outside and is probably on the end of a long run of electrical cable.

The Tesla UMC picks the amperage based on what adapter is on the end of it - but as I said sometimes the rated AMP's a bit too much for the electrical panel.

Example: Thunderhill Raceway in willows, CA has multiple RV hook ups with NEMA 14-50 plugs - and you get a solid 40 AMPs - or at least you should - at a 9 hour load to fully charge a 85 kWh battery - mid day when temps are over 85 F - the breakers have been known to pop after several hours - interrupting the charging session - I've found that dialing back the charge rate to 38 or 36 AMP's via software in the car - leads to a whole day of charging without the 20 year old outdoor breakers at thunder hill "pop'ing"

A Bolt would not have that problem because it can only draw 32 AMP's, but it might have that problem if it's plugged into a 40 AMP circuit and tries to pull 32 amps all day.

in any case 4 years of experience with charging EV's has proven to me that having in-car adjustments for the AMP rate the car is charging at is a good thing and sometimes necessary. Even chevy recognizes that as they provide 8 vs. 12 AMP control for the 110v charging, they should extend that functionality to 240 v charging as well.

·
Registered
179 Posts
The 8amps and 12 amps toggle on the bolt works for 115v and 240v. Not just 115v.
If you think I am wrong then try it yourself. Plug in at 8amps. Look to see when it will be fully charged. Then unplug and switch to 12amps. Then look to see when it will be fully charged. It was 30 min shorter for me with 1/2 to charge.

·
Registered
782 Posts
The 8amps and 12 amps toggle on the bolt works for 115v and 240v. Not just 115v.
If you think I am wrong then try it yourself. Plug in at 8amps. Look to see when it will be fully charged. Then unplug and switch to 12amps. Then look to see when it will be fully charged. It was 30 min shorter for me with 1/2 to charge.
when I'm plugged into a J-1772 charger at 30 amps (Chargepoint int he Bay Area) there is no toggle for controlling the charging AMPs.

·
Registered
22 Posts
OK - I am officially confused. What is the point of a 240 volt outlet rated at 50 amps and a charger (Juice Box) rated at 40 amps if the Bolt is only going to use 12 amps ? The Bolt manual refers to 'a 32 amp setting' but I cannot find anywhere as to how to set this. It appears tied to Location Specific Charging and I have identified my home as such but still no joy. I also own a Tesla (S85D) and have to make sure I only charge one car at a time but the Tesla draws 40 amps (and tells me so) since the circuit is good for 50 amps.

·
Registered
94 Posts
OK - I am officially confused. What is the point of a 240 volt outlet rated at 50 amps and a charger (Juice Box) rated at 40 amps if the Bolt is only going to use 12 amps ? The Bolt manual refers to 'a 32 amp setting' but I cannot find anywhere as to how to set this. It appears tied to Location Specific Charging and I have identified my home as such but still no joy. I also own a Tesla (S85D) and have to make sure I only charge one car at a time but the Tesla draws 40 amps (and tells me so) since the circuit is good for 50 amps.
The 8 and 12 amp is for 110 volt charging.

·
Registered
4,803 Posts
OK - I am officially confused. What is the point of a 240 volt outlet rated at 50 amps and a charger (Juice Box) rated at 40 amps if the Bolt is only going to use 12 amps?
When connected to a 240V EVSE the Bolt will use whatever the EVSE says it can use up to a limit of 32 Amps.

The 8/12A setting is for 120V use because even though standard NEMA 5-15 household outlets are supposed to be rated for 15A the wiring in some houses may not support it (i..e, the wiring or junction boxes may overheat and potentially burn the house down). So by making 8A the default setting GM is essentially forcing you to select 12A manually and therefore take responsibility for it.

·
Registered
782 Posts
the Bolt will use 32 AMP's if the J-1772 charger you plug into offers 32 amps (or more) - it will also use any lower AMP setting - but will never exceed 32 amps since it's onboard chargers only handles 32 AMPs.

I recommend getting more than a 32 AMP charger so that you only buy it "once" and that way future cars that may have more charging capability will benefit from the higher AMP charger. The difference in cost of small amp chargers and large amp chargers is nominal especially when you consider the install cost and labor and wire. I always recommend the biggest charger your home panel can handle, and let the cars catch up to the charger over time. The Bolt will hopefully not be your last EV.

·
Super Moderator
2,564 Posts
The Bolt will hopefully not be your last EV.
You got that right! I will trade mine when the SS version comes out!! And again when the they come out with the two seat roadster with a proper drop top. Chevy Electron possibly? Maybe just Corvette E06? >:)

1 - 20 of 21 Posts