Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings from California’s Central Valley.

I'm in the process of purchasing a 2017 Bolt LT with 40,000 miles - my first EV. It has the Confidence I and Comfort/Convenience packages. Any suggestions for what I should focus on checking (with covid precautions) when it gets delivered in a week or two? - before I finalize the deal? It's coming from some distance, so I've never seen it in person. A forum questioner recently asked for checks to do in the first 24 hrs. This would be in just the first hour, before the delivery person heads off.

I'm assuming I'll want to look over some of the electronics? - one thread said plug in my phone and check that Android Auto connects, will do. Also checking the door buttons for locking/unlocking (inside, and with fob), and the ac/heat. Test backup camera. Someone on another thread suggested checking the charging, but I don't know if that's feasible within 1 hour. (I do have a Clipper Creek already installed.) Someone else suggested an underbody inspection, which I can certainly attempt, but don't know that I'd be able to spot anything. Checking the trunk for water damage I can handle.

Because of covid, I was thinking of skipping the test drive until the next day, but maybe I shouldn't? - if only to do that sway bar test that's been mentioned. I asked the dealer staff to check that the car comes to a complete stop in L, and believe I can trust them on that. Someone else suggested checking the brakes, I see.

Thanks very much! Let me also add how very useful I have found the discussions on this forum. Contributors are generous in sharing their experience and expertise.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
OK - no comments yet - can I assume this means that I've got the bases adequately covered? :)
Maybe it's not a fair question. How can I evaluate a used vehicle in an hour? Well, it is what it is . . . but the dealership is providing a short-term limited warranty, and that helps.

·
Registered
378 Posts
It's a tough question. A test drive would be in order. One of the more tech-savvy guys would tell you to use an OBD reader to determine issues with the battery, but I don't have a clue on how to do that.

Best of luck,

Rich

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
If you are a computer type you could do this very quickly, but you need a OBD II adapter. You could buy one from a Chevy dealer or parts store, but it will cost more than buying online.. Downloading the app to the phone and installing the PIDs I managed to do, but I was dripping sweat. That is just an old mechanical guy speaking here.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the comments. Because of my research on this site, I asked about 5 dealerships to do that OBD2 test of the main battery. Not a single one followed through! I decided to go with the probabilities. But if I'm not getting the range I anticipate, I'll follow up.

As for the price, it was low 20s. Cargurus was invaluable for things like that.

·
Registered
3,317 Posts
OK - no comments yet - can I assume this means that I've got the bases adequately covered? :)
Maybe it's not a fair question. How can I evaluate a used vehicle in an hour? Well, it is what it is . . . but the dealership is providing a short-term limited warranty, and that helps.
In the "old" days we would have someone drive behind you to make sure the vehicle is tracking straight. Not sure that's even applicable with cars that are unibody. At least check the tires for even wear. A few reports of Bolts not tracking straight from a possible steering rack issue.

Look under the hood for any mouse droppings.

Check the AC.

Take up to highway speed for anything obvious. Loud noises or shaking. Wind noise in case a window isn't sealing correctly. Check that all the electric windows work too.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I’d recommend checking to see what tools are included. When I purchased mine, it had nothing but the tow eye. The dealer did agree to provide a level 1 charger, but they had to order it. I ended up purchasing the rest of the emergency tools I figured I’d need.

·
Registered
4,866 Posts
I’d recommend checking to see what tools are included. When I purchased mine, it had nothing but the tow eye. The dealer did agree to provide a level 1 charger, but they had to order it. I ended up purchasing the rest of the emergency to I figured I’d need.
In the US, the LT comes with the tow bolt, and the 120 volt EVSE, and nothing else.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts