Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a lot of reading before we purchased our 2017 Bolt Premiere. Many people had issues when they bought regarding the charge level when done. For those considering purchase, keep in mind that the car has been sitting on the lot, taken on test drives for short distances and erratic driving. The battery gauges on history, not the future. We noticed the “retraining” after topping up 3 times in 1 week with normal driving. This post is just to address those concerns. and you can see the improvement after a few cycles of normal driving.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
21 Posts
Interesting. Could you go into a little more detail on training the battery as a new to me 2017 owner with 16000 miles now, I would be interested in doing this myself.

·
1,638 Posts
The Guess-O-Meter seems to reflect your history after a few hundred miles.

While sitting on the dealer not, it may be started and run with Heat\AC on, it may be driven hard to "see what she's got", or the drives may be generally less efficient than you may drive it yourself.

My best guess is, the range estimate is based on EPA rated range, weighted with real historical efficiency over a few hundred miles, times SOC in kWh. I say this because it does not reflect changes in efficiency immediately, but rather catches up over time. Prior to COVID, I drove 130 miles/day and on days when I got > 5 mi/kWh, I would expect to see the GOM jump the next morning. In fact, it took a couple of days of similar results to each a new normal. But, the same is true as winter approaches, a day of 3 miles/kWh will take a couple of days to bring the range estimate down.

OP, your observation is not wrong, but clearly benefits from more favorable climate conditions and\or driving efficiency than in its event history. Most buyers whose timing is in late fall or winter lament just the opposite effect.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
21 Posts
Yeah fun to punch it for sure, however looking at efficiency....this morning I got over 6 miles / kw on one 5 mile stretch on way to work w cruise set at 55 on the highway. Although I have only had the vehicle for about three weeks, I never run climate controls, even running this on free electricity I still stay true to my frugality. I think of it as a challenge to see what this is capable of doing. Just about three weeks of ownership and on Sunday I got home with 10 miles left on the guessometer without worrying about it one bit. I will never miss going to the gas station!

I would say if you're getting mileage that bad it might be worth looking at the calipers to see if one is stuck or something. I doubt this would drive with the electronic parking brake on.

·
Registered
5,975 Posts
Interesting. Could you go into a little more detail on training the battery as a new to me 2017 owner with 16000 miles now, I would be interested in doing this myself.
It's not "retraining" the battery, it's retraining the range estimator (AKA "guess-o-meter"). That'll happen automatically as you drive and the software learns what kind of driving you do.

·
Registered
2017 Bolt Premier
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It's not "retraining" the battery, it's retraining the range estimator (AKA "guess-o-meter"). That'll happen automatically as you drive and the software learns what kind of driving you do.
Yeah, I didn’t know how to phrase that exactly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts