Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Bolt Owners,

I've had my Bolt for about 6 weeks and love driving it. A few days ago I scratched up the bottom of the front bumper (the front rubber piece that goes across the front of the car). You can't really see the marks from the front unless you bend over to rub your hand over it, but it still bugs me that I marked up a brand new car.

I can get it fixed, the money isn't the issue but I am a bit concerned because in order to replace the rubber part (and some felt lining on the bottom of the front of the car) , the body-shop needs to remove the entire bumper. I checked with two body shops and both said the only way to replace the part is to remove the entire bumper. Is this risky? Should I just leave it as it is or is removing the bumper to replace the 2 parts easily done with no risk to electronics, sensors, etc?

Thanks for your opinions!

Jerry

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Hi Bolt Owners,

I can get it fixed, the money isn't the issue but I am a bit concerned because in order to replace the rubber part (and some felt lining on the bottom of the front of the car) , the body-shop needs to remove the entire bumper.
Well, I'm not a Bolt owner, not the type to buy a new vehicle, and not the type to spend much on vanity, but I'll weigh in regardless...

There is a good chance that shop monkeys will break some tabs and grommets that hold the bumper onto the rest of the car. Even the best people struggle to remove grommets without damaging them. The shop monkeys will likely be able to reinstall the bumper and make it look correct, but it will be at an increased chance of going out of alignment at some other point due to the weakened or damaged grommets and tabs.

If the rubber piece was scraped before, there is a good chance it will happen again. The reason it's black and not body colored is because it's often scraped, and the black color makes it less noticeable.

·
Registered
624 Posts
i'd agree with that - once you snap plastic parts together, you're not going to get them apart without breaking or at the very least weakening parts of it - they're really meant to be single-installation parts. i absolutely hate the way things are assembled these days because of that. i'd avoid taking things apart unless absolutely necessary.

·
Registered
499 Posts
To change bulbs in my '03 TDI Golf E-code headlights, the 'simple' way is to pull the front bumper cover to gain access to the mounting brackets and remove the headlight assemblies. I have had them off a dozen times over the years to install leveling motors, change bulbs, etc. A savvy shop can do something like this with no risk at all. I wouldn't worry about it.

·
Registered
1,218 Posts
If I were you, I'd make an effort to forget this, since neither the looks, nor the performance, nor the longevity of your car seem to be affected. Bumpers are meant for exactly this purpose - to protect the rest of the car from little incidents like this.

·
Registered
195 Posts
:eek:We have all done the same thing. Since there is no real damage, other than your pride, let it pass. I've done similar, but as they say, time is a great healer. A month from now, your pride will be good as new. By the way, I've removed the front bumper cover on several of my vehicles. Surprisingly, very simple.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
:eek:We have all done the same thing. Since there is no real damage, other than your pride, let it pass. I've done similar, but as they say, time is a great healer. A month from now, your pride will be good as new. By the way, I've removed the front bumper cover on several of my vehicles. Surprisingly, very simple.
I think your response is the best. I am going to hold off and not replace the dark rubber strip unless it continues to get scraped up.

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Jerry

·
Registered
4,793 Posts
I am going to hold off and not replace the dark rubber strip unless it continues to get scraped up.
Actually, if it does continue to get scraped up then that's a good reason IMHO not to replace it. Since the replacement would just continue to get scraped up...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Actually, if it does continue to get scraped up then that's a good reason IMHO not to replace it. Since the replacement would just continue to get scraped up...
Perhaps. But the incident that scraped it was unusual, I was turning around in a driveway and the driveway had a gutter right before it that indented 4 inches or so, a very rare situation. Probably won't get scraped any more. I had a Honda 2005 Civic Hybrid until recently and the front bumper was so low to the ground that it was impossible to avoid situations that might scratch it, I had to go really slow when a hill began and in parking lots it would scrape against the stop at the end of the parking space. The Bolt, thankfully, is not that low.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts