Chevy Bolt EV Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased wheel covers for bare rims with winter tires? Hoping people have photos to show. Is there a big difference in drag with different designs, or just pick the ones that look best? I am getting 16" snow tires and steel rims. Thanks!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I have the same and don’t put on covers. In my opinion the steel looks better than a plastic cover. I didn’t notice any appreciable efficiency loss running winter tires/steelies. But I rarely push the range limits with my driving needs so I’m much more concerned about safety and handling than efficiency.

·
Registered
847 Posts
What color of the car?

I personally would not put any... leave them bare as they are. Easier to get to the valve stem, easier to clean, and no worries if I lose one.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car is dark grey. I am getting some used steelies that are a little rough looking. I would have to spend some effort cleaning them up, and I don't think I would like the look. But who knows, maybe I wouldn't like the look of wheel covers either! I love the look of the stock rims.

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
FWIW, my aftermarket Cruze 16" steel wheels came with plastic wheelcovers. The steel springs and clips on those wheelcovers always rattled and squeeked. After the first year, they went in the trash and we run naked.

jack vines

·
Registered
132 Posts
Prob a bit late if you've already gotten your winter setup, but I'm more of a fan of using the oem wheel for winter, and then getting something nice for summer rims. Did the same on my gti too. It's not too much more money, once you subtract the cost of the steel rim from whatever you buy for summer rims.

(this is not the particular topic, but I think now that I have blizzaks on the oem wheel, I'll prob go w this)

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I'm more of a fan of using the oem wheel for winter, and then getting something nice for summer rims. Did the same on my gti too. It's not too much more money, once you subtract the cost of the steel rim from whatever you buy for summer rims.
It depends. Members here reportedly paid $400 for new steel wheels, so some aluminum wheels are not that much more expensive.

OTOH, for $100 cash, we bought good condition used 16" steel wheels from a Cruze.

Also worth considering, up here in the frozen-ass-end-of-nowhere, the city applies liquid magnesium cloride as a de-icer. It eventually destroys the finish of aluminum wheels.

jack vines

·
Registered
153 Posts
My car is on the bottom left, and those aren't steelies. I don't have a problem with the look of bare steel wheels except for the exposed axle nuts. They just look unfinished, and it sucks to replace drive shafts when the nuts have been exposed to road salt for many years. It would be nice if one could get center caps for them instead of full wheel covers.

I found the alloys on clearance for not much more money, but unfortunately they and just about every other 15x6 wheel in the chevy bolt pattern have now been discontinued. The company actually still makes the size, but they don't drill them for a 5x105 bolt pattern any more.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts